Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Put on a stone over last twelve months

(31 Posts)
Sparkling Wed 30-Jun-21 05:58:44

I have been told to lose a minimum of one stone, ideally 20lbs.
I have spent a lot of time alone in lockdown and filled the time baking, all of which was eaten by me. Now I am finding it difficult to exist on the reduced calories required, I never feel slightly full. What is the best diet for satisfying those hunger cravings please, I thought of the Rosemary Conley one that is high carbohydrate.

Kim19 Tue 21-Sep-21 13:55:12

I live alone and found the 8\16 worked really well for me. A late start and an early finish of anything you want to eat in that time. Filling up for the abstinence period soon wears off and that with a little exercise (I did a riverside walk) will reap success slowly but surely. I did it for one memorable year (2012) and have not put any of it (4st) back on. There's a site on here for 'pear shapes' which you might find fun as well as constructive. Good luck. I've found it life changing.

Riverwalk Tue 21-Sep-21 13:45:26

I have spent a lot of time alone in lockdown and filled the time baking, all of which was eaten by me.

I think baking is the work of the devil! grin

So much cake-making going on with people eat huge slabs of the stuff; and the size of so-called muffins! Calorie, fat & carb-laden and eaten in addition to meals.

Riverwalk Tue 21-Sep-21 13:39:12

Lucca

I would love to cut down on carbs but really struggle to think what to eat, I don’t like that many vegetables sadly. Eg don’t like tomatoes (I know, fruit) kale beetroot peppers cabbage

What about fennel, aubergine, celeriac (root but low-carb), red onions (I roast them)?

tickingbird Tue 21-Sep-21 13:36:46

Eat less, move more. Slimming World are good and you can eat quite a bit but if you go out and walk each day and just move more the weight will come off. Just don’t eat cream cakes or only once a week as a treat.

Also you can join SW and don’t have to attend classes if you prefer not to.

TwiceAsNice Tue 21-Sep-21 13:19:55

I eat a low carbohydrate diet. Haven’t eaten pasta, rice, mash or jacket potatoes for several years. I’m currently doing the 800 fast diet as I’ve put on some weight again in the last year and my sugars rose after being very stable (I am type 2 diabetic) in just 3 weeks I have lost half a stone and am keeping going. I find after the first few days adjusting I’m not hungry. I also try to drink 3 litres of water a day, the more water you drink the faster you lose.

When I am being more flexible ( strict at the moment) I do have occasional granary bread or new potatoes, occasional glass of wine but don’t eat cake or biscuits or puddings and only miss them occasionally.

I hope when I go for my next blood tests in mid Oct I will be thinner and sugars more stable.

Buy Michael Moseley Fast 800 book, it has recipes as well or I split my two meals around 400 calories each or I smaller I slightly larger meal. I never eat breakfast , just a drink and then there is a long fast period between your evening meal and next days lunch . For me from about 8pm until 1-30-2pm the next day. Fasting helps you lose weight quicker too.

Maria59 Tue 21-Sep-21 13:03:46

I also use my fitness pal it is easy to use and has lots of everyday items in the calorie search.

Hetty58 Tue 21-Sep-21 12:57:15

Most of us have put on a bit, surely. I'm walking more to help but I don't do diets - just healthy eating. I concentrate on getting all the good stuff - rather than depriving myself of the bad.

If I eat plenty of salads and vegetables (often from the fridge, ready cooked) some wholemeal bread or pasta, beans, tofu, brown rice, oatmeal, nuts and seeds etc. - I don't have too much room to pig out on treats.

I eat before I'm very hungry (to make wiser choices) with a large breakfast, medium lunch and small dinner. I'm trying to drink more water between meals too.

I made kale crisps yesterday and actually liked them! I tried baking 'healthy' almond/peanut cookies the other day but found them too soft. I'll keep experimenting.

JessicaPaul123 Tue 21-Sep-21 12:26:20

Lowering carbohydrates and sugar intake can show a significant change in weight, drink plenty of water and fresh food items.

seacliff Wed 30-Jun-21 16:15:05

I have recently fallen off the wagon, yet again. But when I was in the right mindset, I found eating higher protein and "good fats" and lower carbs, worked best for me. ie Fast 800, this forum is very helpful and has recipes. thebloodsugardiet.com/forums/forum/fast-800/

First few days are tough, but then the cravings and hunger disappeared. I would often eat first meal about noon, and drink lots of water. Good luck what ever you decide.

Also logging everything I ate on My Fitness Pal was a great help.

Deia Wed 30-Jun-21 16:03:17

I keep a tight reign on my carbohydrate intake as I have type 1 diabetes. Things I have discovered to be of major help are LoDough pizza bases and Naked noodles/rice. Both of these have zero carbs so I find them really useful for low carb dinners (I love curries and pizzas). Also I often eat an oven cooked pepper filled with chilli. I like lattes but all milk is high in carbs. I’ve changed to unsweetened almond milk which is much less and tastes nice. I’ve lost over a stone just with these tweaks.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 30-Jun-21 15:49:37

When we retired I thought it would be nice and civilised to have an afternoon tea every day. Result was we expanded? so that had to be knocked on the head!

Then DH was diagnosed pre-diabetic (heart issues) and somDr Moseley was wheeled in. That worked.

Mattsmum2 Wed 30-Jun-21 15:44:12

My friend has lost loads on Michael Mosleys Fast 800 ?

Nell8 Wed 30-Jun-21 14:05:09

Weightwatchers used to tell members that it takes 20 minutes before the brain registers that the stomach is full. So maybe stop for a bit before thinking about that extra helping?

Eating more protein at breakfast is supposed to keep us feeling satisfied for longer throughout the day. I had two boiled eggs in addition to my porridge the other day and it certainly worked.

Happiyogi Wed 30-Jun-21 13:36:29

Sparkling, I think you will have great success by looking differently at the outcome you want to achieve!

Firstly, you say you’ve been told to lose 20lbs. I imagine this is for medical reasons. So, reframe that to “I want to be 20lbs lighter, which will really improve my health. I’m doing this for me - and it’s going to help me feel and look my best.”

Focus on what you will gain, not lose. We humans don’t like loss, we seek more of everything!

Processed food is not satisfying. If you add whole foods daily you truly will find them much more filling. Supermarkets only offer minimal wholefood offerings (because their profits come from the unhealthy stuff!) so I’d suggest finding a good online supplier.

Watch the recent BBC programme called What are we feeding our kids?, presented by Dr Chris van Tulleken. He used himself as a junk/processed food guinea pig for a month and the results were shocking!

I think if you make new and different food choices because you want better for yourself, you will be surprised and pleased at the shift in your mindset - and the scales. You also won’t be hungry! I wish you success.

dolphindaisy Wed 30-Jun-21 10:01:44

There are a lot of websites that will help you count calories, I use one called "Fat Secret" - you keep a daily diary where you list the food you have eaten and it will give you the calories, (you do need to weigh some foods) and it will add up your total. Having tried every new "wonder" diet I've come to the conclusion that calorie counting is the only way I can lose weight.

3dognight Wed 30-Jun-21 09:44:24

Lots of good advice here Sparkling-
I would just add -
Don’t expect instant results and have a positive mental attitude to stick to it.
How lovely to be such a good baker, but perhaps just for special occasions,
I really think by making a few changes immediately and ongoing you will lose the weight you want, feel healthier and have more energy.

Good luck and let us know how you get on flowers

Shelflife Wed 30-Jun-21 09:01:24

Avoid fat, sugar and alcohol. Not easy and I struggle , even though pre Covid I did well with Slimming World. Have' nt gone back yet. Processed foods are not good and most certainly do not help my digestion so I avoid those. Good luck !

lemongrove Wed 30-Jun-21 08:57:46

You are not alone Sparkling !
Mr L went for his annual health check a couple of days ago and the nurse told him he was the only patient she had seen that was the same weight or less as a year ago.

I recommend drinking a lot of water, particularly a large glass
About twenty mins before a meal, and cut portion sizes.

vegansrock Wed 30-Jun-21 08:53:37

Cut down on processed foods, do not eat anything that comes in a packet with more than 3 ingredients listed. Buy organic- it’s more expensive so you’ll buy less. Drink large glass of water whilst preparing food. Try to factor in 30 minutes walk at least per day and any other exercise you enjoy- preferably outside- gardening, swimming whatever.

Lucca Wed 30-Jun-21 08:13:09

I would love to cut down on carbs but really struggle to think what to eat, I don’t like that many vegetables sadly. Eg don’t like tomatoes (I know, fruit) kale beetroot peppers cabbage

Lin52 Wed 30-Jun-21 08:00:52

You can get free calories apps, if you have a smart phone, very handy. Or there are books available for calorie, fat and carbohydrate counts.

M0nica Wed 30-Jun-21 07:55:50

Sparkling I am in the process of buying a calorie count book. We had a roof leak at the weekend and several of my cookery books, and my calorie counter book got soaked and had to be ditched, so I started to look online yesterday. But there are so many and the reviews point out some of the problems with some of them, that I still haven't decided which one to buy.

ayse Wed 30-Jun-21 07:02:27

Have a look at Micheal Moseley. He lost weight by a huge reduction in carbohydrates, increase in protein, good fats and lots of vegetables. I started eating like this as I’m pre-diabetic and have now lost a stone in weight. It’s challenging at first but it works. The Newcastle diet has also been shown to work. The additional benefits are that fats round your vital organs will decrease and hopefully make you less likely to develop T2 diabetes.

There is a lot of medical controversy around the current “healthy” eat well plate. Some scientists believe that carbs are the bad boys in this. It’s rather like the earlier controversies around the Atkins diet. It’s quite a minefield.

BTW, I didn’t realise that I would loose weight quite so dramatically as I don’t have any bathroom scales. It’s just a question of changing your eating habits. I usually only have 2 slices of wholemeal toast for breakfast and stay away from any other visible carbohydrates. Small snacking is now usually a handful of mixed nuts.

Good luck with whatever path you choose.

BigBertha1 Wed 30-Jun-21 06:39:07

Have a look at the NHS website for a healthy eating weight loss plan.

Sparkling Wed 30-Jun-21 06:31:40

I am getting a magazine today Monica, I need all the help I can get, what I would like is a calorie book listing good and bad foods, I used to have one but got rid of it and the cakes took over.