Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Exercise for the chair bound

(11 Posts)
Lupin Sun 04-Jul-21 11:24:35

I need to exercise more because of lockdown weight gain. However, I have developed severe arthritis and need a hip replacement. I do the exercises the physio sets but they are not enough. They are gentle and meant to strengthen muscles to take the strain off the joints.
Can anyone recommend exercise routines to be done when you can't stand for long or move quickly. Exercises that burn calories effectively.

travelsafar Sun 04-Jul-21 11:31:05

I am currently doing these kind of exercises for the same reason, provided by physiotherapist. Not sure if they are working as still in much pain.confused I am sure if you googled there would be some that you could follow.

JaneJudge Sun 04-Jul-21 11:33:10

they do sitting down ones every day on that morning show on bbc1. I imagine you can get workouts on youtube? I've just had a look, there are quite a few here

M0nica Sun 04-Jul-21 11:37:06

Google 'tai chi for the chair bound' and pilates for the chairbound' and you will get a range of links to such exercises.

The first hit on the pilates suggestion was an NHS site.

Could you manage to go to a swimming pool? Water helps support your weight and you could probably manage a good half hours exercise in a warm pool.

Whiff Sun 04-Jul-21 12:32:42

Lupin get in touch with your local council falls prevention department.

I started a class called active ageing. Which is GP referral. It is chair based with some walking I use my stick doing those.

I googled chair based exercises for over 60's with heart problems. A list came up . Saw the one from the council and emailed them. My GP was happy to refer me. It's a 12 weeks course then £2.50 after that.

Where I used to live Age UK had a community fit club. Which was 12 weeks free. The instructor altered some exercises so I did the leg ones holding on to a chair and sat down for arm ones.

Hope that helps give you ideas who to contact.

ExD Sun 04-Jul-21 12:38:14

BC ( before covid ) I went to a free 'CBE' (chair bound exercise) class at the local hospital run by the WRVS. They will soon be re-starting after having been closed.
You could inquire on the RVS website.

LyWa Sun 04-Jul-21 12:42:23

I also suffer from arthritic joints, I’ve had both knees replaced, my hips, wrists, ankles, finger & toe joints are all painful. I find swimming is wonderful, the support in the water is so good. I also do many online exercise classes designed for the ‘older person’ - I use the Goldster platform, they have lots of classes weekly on Zoom, Tai Chi, yoga, workouts… I don’t put my camera on and so if an exercise is not for me it’s not like in a class where you feel bound to do what everyone else is doing, I just adapt it and then continue with the class when I’m able.

Lupin Sun 04-Jul-21 13:09:50

Thanks so much everyone. I will try these links. I hope some of the classes where I can meet others are available here. A mix of home and away classes would suit.
ExD - I do like BC. I shall use it myself now.

vissos Sun 04-Jul-21 13:17:16

Exercise actually burns very few calories, it's easier to cut those calories from your diet.
It is good for toning up and building muscle though, if you do the right ones.

ExD Sun 04-Jul-21 13:31:17

www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNnzK5NjsZk

I quite like this

M0nica Sun 04-Jul-21 14:26:33

Age UK in many areas organise chair based activity classes as does your local authority.

My Tai Chi class started as a class for over 50s, organised through my local colleges short craft/language exercise programme.