Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Exercise just makes me ache.

(9 Posts)
VickiQuinn Wed 01-Sep-21 11:13:02

www.healthxchange.sg/fitness-exercise/sports-injuries/how-relieve-sore-muscles-pain

Whiff Sat 24-Jul-21 05:44:27

MayBee70 my class is very Covid safe. Instructor wipes all the chairs down with antiseptic wipes. Chairs spaced apart. Hand gel used by all. We are given our own resistance band to keep and bring each class. There are 2 instructors and take turns they have both been double jabbed . I have and the other 2 ladies I am with also. There are 5 in the class but the other 2 I haven't met yet as health problems have kept them away at the moment.

Have no fear the fitness classes are very Covid safe. It's lovely to met new people and we encourage eachother. Which I find is important as we help eachother and have a laugh.

Don't let fear of Covid put you off. I have had a neurological condition for 33 years, last year diagnosed with heart failure and found I was born with a heart defect. Plus waiting for urology appointment. I am 63. The other ladies are in their 80's.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 24-Jul-21 01:08:03

DH has just sent away for a knee brace for arthritic sufferers.

MayBee70 Fri 23-Jul-21 23:42:24

Trouble is I don’t want to go anywhere because of covid. For years I did exercises at the gym that strengthened the muscles round my knee but I haven’t been there for over 18 months now. I have to walk because of the dog. I must check out the online exercises. I’m pretty sure I’ve lost more cartilage and my knee is getting to be bone on bone.

Lincslass Fri 23-Jul-21 22:45:34

There are some good chair exercises to be found on You Tube, chair Yoga, even exercises for seniors by Joe Wicks. Found these after my left knee causing me mobility problems. They are also free which is a bonus.

Whiff Fri 23-Jul-21 22:37:04

MayBee70 walking is the wrong exercise for you. You need to join a sit fit exercise class. You will get a work out but the exercises are tailored for people with problems with their limbs and or stability. I go to a great one.

I used to go too a sit fit class but it closed due to Covid. So I googled sit fit exercise class for over 60's. The one I go to is run by my council called active ageing. It's free for 12 weeks then £2.50 each week. I can do things now I couldn't the first week. We sit down for some exercises and hold on to the back of the chair for others. We do some walking exercises which are great . They are helping with my balance. The instructor says you should feel like you are working out but if it hurts stop.

I don't know what area you are in mine is run by Sefton council. A friend of mine goes to a sit fit class in the West Midlands. There are classes all over the country . Might be worth trying you councils falls prevention unit and they will tell you where there are classes.

MayBee70 Fri 23-Jul-21 01:08:57

I ache at night, too. I’ve had arthritis in my knee for years but it’s never actually hurt when I’m resting before. This is all new to me.

crazyH Fri 23-Jul-21 00:38:46

I used to walk a lot, but my right knee is painful and worse after a walk. And yet, I wake up in the middle of the night with pain down my right leg. Can’t win ?

MayBee70 Fri 23-Jul-21 00:31:43

Does this sound familiar. Until recently, if I exercised I’d ache afterwards. And it was quite a nice ache because I knew I’d feel better for it.But now exercise makes me ache and the ache doesn’t go away. The only exercise I get these days is walking. I’m ok when I’m actually walking. It’s just when I stop. I guess it’s an age thing.