Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Mortified in Boots

(46 Posts)
User7777 Sun 01-Aug-21 00:44:41

Was mortified in Boots today, relative offered to operate weighing machine for me. I was horrified at my weight since lockdown. It said I was obese, so sad, am thinking of a minimal diet to shift it. How did I get like this....

Newquay Tue 04-Jan-22 11:58:17

I’ve never been overweight thankfully but noticed after menopause how it started to creep up.
I have a sweet tooth so at the mo am having to be very strict and rationing Christmas goodies-mercifully I am blessed with self control!
I reduced bread and potatoes a while ago and only have small portions in any event.
Eating out I often have a starter as a main then a pud!
And I do try to get out for a walk most days as well as keep fit twice a week ?

Chardy Tue 04-Jan-22 11:24:40

Am trying to eat only inside an 8 hour window - difficult. Have given up potato, pasta and bread. Eat my dinner in a smaller plate. Use my Fitbit to monitor my daily 10000 steps.

MayBeMaw Tue 04-Jan-22 11:02:42

A cautionary tale. I do not doubt the word of anybody who has stuck to a low-calorie plan and lost a lot of weight. ??
However from my experience , I have twice tried them (Jane Plan and Diet Chef) despite being a keen cook who normally does not buy ready meals. Yes I lost weight, but deep down I worried about the processed nature of the meals and when I compared the calorie content with home cooking, realised I did not need this expensive option.
It provided portion control- that was a shock sometimes, but I was hungry and many of the breakfasts and so-called snacks were high in sugar.
So I abandoned them and although (cross my heart) I did not over eat afterwards, I immediately put on weight in the following weeks before it levelled out again- sadly half a stone heavier than I would have liked.
I have read that your body goes into “famine mode” if you drastically cut your calorie intake and hangs on to every calorie turning it into fat rather than energy.
Consequently so-called “kick start” diets are bound to fail.
If they worked these companies, including Slimming World, Weight Watchers etc would have gone out of business a long time ago wouldn’t they?

karmalady Tue 04-Jan-22 07:56:28

Losing weight is not simple. We are super good at adapting to our food availability. The manufacturers have spent a long time in targetting us with addictive foods, high fat high carb foods and sugars. Losing weight needs to be a whole lifestyle change to include some exercise and the best long-lasting weight loss occurs over a long time

I eat only between 6.30 am and 4pm which gives my body the old fashioned overnight `fasting` time when my insulin level gets low instead of it being on constant high and potentially leading to diabetes. Also I eat between 7 and 10 a day of veg and fruit, I don`t worry about the piece of toast with butter and jam, I need that sweet crunch and have that as part of my last `meal` of berries, kefir and hm granola. So my body knows now that this is my last meal until breakfast, I have trained it. I also have my main meal between 12 and 1. That is a set point for me, I work in the house until then, maintenance, cleaning, sorting etc also cycling if the weather is ok and after mid-day meal, I change tack and knit, perhaps cycle if I haven`t been out. Pm is relaxation and my body food cravings are now confined to certain times and I am losing weight, very slow but very steady. It is a lifestyle change

Allsorts Tue 04-Jan-22 07:32:32

Lucky that I gave up sugar years ago, I don’t like anything sweet but I eat puddings and cakes and biscuits, in quantity, try to get everything low sugar so that’s why I’m overweight. Hoping that in a few weeks I won’t crave them, it took about 6 weeks for me to not miss sweetened drinks etc.

Oopsadaisy1 Tue 04-Jan-22 07:24:06

User777 so sorry that you have been so ill, but hopefully you are on the road to recovery. MissOops was very ill in November, but was determined not to put any weight back on.

Good luck with maintaining a healthy weight and a Happy and Healthy New Year to you ?

nanna8 Tue 04-Jan-22 04:23:16

I gave up sugar in tea and coffee many years ago when we were living in a remote area. I couldn’t get to the shop so it was either no tea and coffee or drink it without sugar. Funny that your taste actually changes and now I can’t stand sweet tea and coffee. I still like chocolate though, nothing would make me give that up !

VANECAM Tue 04-Jan-22 00:40:19

I appear to have caused offence. Not sure why.

Shinamae Mon 03-Jan-22 20:31:42

Yes I’m sure it was but I just don’t find it that easy to give up sugar… especially as it is hidden in so many things

VANECAM Mon 03-Jan-22 20:25:05

Shinamae

Caleo

The easiest item to give up is sugar. In a week or two you will not even want a sugary biscuit.

Really, you find sugar the easiest thing to give up? It’s the one thing I find really really difficult..?‍♀️

I stopped buying sugar years ago. It was a major factor in my losing weight.

Shinamae Mon 03-Jan-22 20:06:12

Caleo

The easiest item to give up is sugar. In a week or two you will not even want a sugary biscuit.

Really, you find sugar the easiest thing to give up? It’s the one thing I find really really difficult..?‍♀️

Caleo Wed 08-Dec-21 14:56:51

User7777 Wed 08-Dec-21 11:03:17

Update
I have been in hosp. Lost 2 stone, and was very I'll. I had a problem with my blood. Feel much better now, more like my old self. Dietitian suggested a Food Steamer for vegetables, to keep a low g.i. Clothes hanging off now. Cant win

MiniMoon Wed 08-Dec-21 10:40:32

I know this will not help everyone, and it isn't easy to do but I've lost 8 pounds in a fortnight.
Diagnosed with gallstones, and having horrible pain during a flare up, I put myself on a fat free diet. I don't eat anything with more than 5% fat in it.
I'm pain free, and slimmer.

Redhead56 Tue 07-Dec-21 23:00:11

Don't be hard on yourself probably half of the populations weight has inflated. I would just literally cut down on the carbs and sweet drinks for now. Enjoy Christmas then cut down more NHS has good diet healthy eating. If you are able walk more or just get out the fresh air will make feel better.

Jane43 Tue 07-Dec-21 22:31:18

I’ve probably tried most diets over the years but now I do my own thing. What works best for me is plenty of fibre and cutting out bread from Monday to Friday. I’ve lost most of my lockdown weight, just three pounds to go.

Kim19 Tue 02-Nov-21 13:23:09

My scales are immediately beside my shower so I step on them on the way in. Great help and I nip any increase in the bud. Lost a lot of weight years ago and am determined that it will never return if I can prevent it. Life is so much better for me in the slimmer lane. Good luck with your forthcoming attempts, User.

emmap40 Tue 02-Nov-21 13:08:13

I'm in the same boat! It's difficult to get up and keep active as the dark nights and winter months draw in, but wanting to shift some pounds before the festive season

rosie1959 Mon 02-Aug-21 09:39:12

Really glad our local WW meeting has returned to normal doing it on line and by Zoom was just not the same.
Apart from needing to loose a bit I enjoy the company and getting out of the house to meet people

Pammie1 Mon 02-Aug-21 09:00:17

Years ago I joined a dieting club. I found that I couldn’t follow the diet plan because it was so complicated I found myself thinking about food all the time, in order to plan what I could eat - couldn’t mix certain foods in one meal etc. I abandoned the plan and did my own thing, but I still went to the meetings as I found the support of others really helpful. It was a long haul as I had a lot of weight to lose and I don’t think I could have achieved my goal weight without that support.

You hear so many people saying that they have put on weight during the pandemic, and a cheaper way than joining a weight watching club just for the support, may be be to just get together with a group of friends and support each other.

User7777 Sun 01-Aug-21 19:38:11

Thank you all. I feel better now. I asked my relative to weigh me. I have multiple health issues, so she had to stand nearby incase I fell off. She also only pressed buttons when the speaking weigh machine asked us too. Top volume in Boots. I knew I was much bigger since lockdown started. This pandemic has a lot to answer for, as most of us would go out freely before it started , thereby having more exercise. George Bernard Shaw, the writer, only ate 1,000 calories a day. He was stick thin. I only wish I could walk more, but I would need rescuing, when I couldn't keep going. I do try to do a bit of gardening. But I collapse in a chair, if I do to much. I am determined. Asking her to weigh me once a month. Will let you know how I fare.

grannyrebel7 Sun 01-Aug-21 17:41:34

I don't believe in diets as they're not sustainable. I just keep to smaller portions as others have said, no snacking between meals & plenty of exercise. Also allow yourself a little treat, say a couple of squares of chocolate, after dinner as life's too short to not have treats, but don't go mad. Works for me and I don't even notice it anymore.

Pammie1 Sun 01-Aug-21 16:44:16

@Sharon103. I have the same weaknesses as you !! Unfortunately it’s the fat content in food that gives it that rich taste. I replaced the ice cream lollies with the ‘be good to yourself’ ones from Sainsburys and I’ve forsaken cream cakes for home made ones using less fattening and healthier ingredients - reduced fat carrot cake has become a firm favourite. You can also get some quite good reduced fat mayo - the Heinz seriously good is my favourite. It does take some getting used to, but with a bit of willpower you retrain your taste buds, so in time you get used to the reduced fat options. I’ve never really been a choccie freak, but I do quite like the very dark varieties, which tend to be lower in fat anyway.

Pammie1 Sun 01-Aug-21 16:37:55

Sorry - posted to soon. Meant to say that since we have reduced her liquid intake to the dietician recommended level, mum’s appetite has actually improved, so the problem in reverse, bears out what you said.

sharon103 Sun 01-Aug-21 16:36:54

I would love to lose a bit of weight but haven't the willpower to cut down or cut out my favourite treats. I love ice cream lollies and have one every evening. A cake every day. I am being good with chocolate though. I don't eat so much these last couple of months.
I've been naughty and bought a two pack box of cheese twists from a well known foodhall on Friday. They're to die for. A box and a bit left today.
I have a dollop of mayonnaise with most meals and in sandwiches.
Yet my sister can eat all the fattening foods and is as thin as a rake.
Are you sure your relative didn't put her foot on the back of the scale when you were on it to put the weight up User7777. grin
I had that done to me once on my bathroom scales. He was standing behind me.