Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Advice please

(8 Posts)
flaxwoven Wed 08-Sep-21 16:00:13

Before lockdown I attended a very friendly, happy, exercise class to music called Flexacise which is a nation-wide group. It was for age 50 ish to 90 ish (two ladies were 90). It all stopped during lockdown and now is starting again on 20th September. But now I've been sent a health questionnaire and because I answered "yes" to taking blood pressure medication, they require a doctor's certificate. I've never been asked for this before. I left an ansaphone message at the surgery last week. No reply. I photocopied all the information and the questionnaire and posted it to the surgery on Saturday asking what I should do. Still no reply. Does anyone know if GP's do this and if they charge? I'm on the point of just giving up and forgetting about the group. If it's my choice to attend the class, then surely it's at my own risk (I'm 71 and perfectly fit). Someone told me I should have answered "no" to all the questions, but that is not being honest. Can anyone advise?

crazyH Wed 08-Sep-21 16:06:59

Some surgeries do charge, for what is essentially a medical certificate. It can cost up to £25. Why don't you drive up to the surgery and ask the receptionist about it.
I suppose you could also sign a disclaimer at your Exercise Class.
Good luck!

Ilovecheese Wed 08-Sep-21 16:08:33

I don't know about advice but I was also asked the same question on a form for the dance class that I go to. Never been asked before. I spoke to the dance teacher and said that I thought it was inappropriate to bother the GP with a request for this during a pandemic when they had so much else to do. The teacher accepted this. maybe talk to your class teacher.

wildswan16 Thu 09-Sep-21 09:37:35

I would speak to whoever runs the class. We really cannot (and should not) expect GPs to do things like this. Hopefully you can tell her your BP is well-controlled, and regularly monitored by the GP who probably told you exercise was good for you!

Redhead56 Thu 09-Sep-21 10:25:26

I think the health questionnaire probably came into being because covid. I can't see a Dr giving out certificates to explain your medication.

flaxwoven Thu 09-Sep-21 18:40:22

Thank you all for your replies. It is very helpful to get other opinions. My GP's office informed me that they do not do or countersign these type of forms. I'm quite glad they said this as I do think it is ludicrous to ask doctors to get involved in this sort of thing when we're in the middle of a pandemic and all the extra work they've had to do, and now they've got to organize flu clinics and possible the third booster jab, let alone seeing patients who are actually ill! One GP told me after a day of seeing patients, he was then doing admin and phone calls until 9.00 pm. I've emailed the lady who runs the class and she can offer my place to someone else. As the class is for age 50 something to 90 I'm sure others will have health problems.

Grammy666 Mon 04-Jul-22 08:14:16

Oh honestly , what a nuisance but I suppose they are covering themselves if someone has a stroke or keels over ... my position is its up up me what I do or don't do and I keep my medical history to myself ...

lemsip Mon 04-Jul-22 08:42:06

Grammy666

yes, a nuisance that you dragged up this old thread...
how did you find it!

*flaxwoven has already thanked and signed off on thread.