Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

we all know we have to exercise but.......

(12 Posts)
travelsafar Sat 09-Oct-21 13:09:46

I was always very proactive in terms of exercising every day. But since having had covid i find i dont have the energy and what energy i do have i like to conserve to do things in the house, garden, going to social activities or shopping. I feel guilty about not doing the 150mins per week we are supposed to and to be honest it worries me as i think i may be building up problems for the future. I have not gained weight but i have lost motivation for physcial activity. Anyone else feel this way.

Kim19 Sat 09-Oct-21 13:18:08

T, I think you're very wrong to feel guilty about this. Much better to go with your own body's flow and the extra vigour may return. Give yourself a chance. I enjoy your contributions here and find a huge amount of common sense in much that you say to others. I'm not doing as much walking as I usually do but I put that down to the weather(!!). If I had had Covid, I would be pampering myself on a daily basis.

wildswan16 Sat 09-Oct-21 13:27:35

Just listen to what your body is telling you. It sounds like you are reasonably active anyway - you're not just sitting on the couch in front of the tv all day!

Just work up gradually by going for a ten minute walk (or whatever exercise you do). Doing a couple minutes more each day or each week.

Your motivation will return - Covid takes it out of you physically and mentally.

Smileless2012 Sat 09-Oct-21 13:31:47

The worse thing you can do while feeling unwell or recovering is to do physical exercise travelsafar. The energy you use is needed by your body to fight off and recover from illness so no need to feel guilty.

Your motivation will return as you begin to feel betterflowers.

halfpint1 Sat 09-Oct-21 13:49:44

I restarted exercise with a 10 minute
Gentle stretch video after a few days of that I slowly upped the time and mov

halfpint1 Sat 09-Oct-21 13:52:00

Moved onto other videos

travelsafar Sat 09-Oct-21 17:38:40

Kim19 thank you for your kind words.smile

Blossoming Sat 09-Oct-21 18:18:33

There are some very good YouTube classes suitable for differing ages and abilities Travelsafar. Perhaps some gentle yoga stretches and postures might be a good place to start.

Shinamae Sat 09-Oct-21 18:31:10

I keep meaning to do this, I really do………………….tomorrow!!! ?

Jaxjacky Sat 09-Oct-21 19:18:20

Gosh travelsafar you and your body need to heal, don’t feel guilty to add to it!
You will know when you’re ready, do what you’re doing, hardly inactive and feeding your body and soul. Maybe one day, you’ll realise that you’re doing a bit more, then a bit more, take care x.

SueDonim Sat 09-Oct-21 22:46:10

I don’t think a relatively short spell of being inactive will undo years of healthy activity, just like that. Pushing yourself when you don’t feel up to it could make you feel even worse.

Fwiw, neither of my parents did anything that resembles what we consider exercise today, in their lives. Dad died at almost 92, having weighed exactly the same weight all his married life, while mum is 94 in a month’s time, still has an active mind and lives in her own home without any help. smile

Whiff Sun 10-Oct-21 09:47:45

travelsafar as others have said your body needs time to heal. Exercise can begin again once you feel well enough. I only started exercising in January 2018 aged 59 at the time. Must admit I love it. But I don't go to a gym. Since moving I joined a sit fit class but it closed due to Covid.The class I am in is called active ageing .
Once you feel up to it you will get back to it but gently and build up. Our instructor always says people forget to exercise their neck.

Here's a gentle exercise she says every one should do. Sit up straight ,look forward and turn your head to the side slowly back to centre and turn to the other side and back to the centre. Do this 10 times .

The other neck one is up straight again face forward slowly turn your head and look at your pocket slowly look up back to the centre and turn to the other side and look at your pocket and back to centre do it 10 times.
She says we carry a lot of tense in our necks. People warm everything up but forget their necks.

Once you feel well enough you will need to slowly build your strength up. And don't think exercise has to been fast it doesn't. You can work just as hard doing gentle exercises and using a resist band.

When I started class we where given a green resist band after 8 weeks we now have a pink one. Some of our exercises are sitting down and holding on to the back of the chair plus walking exercises . The class is to build strength and stability.

Hope you are feeling better soon.