Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

I’m a Pear ? the sequel part 3 - Wow!

(1001 Posts)
NanKate Mon 13-Dec-21 10:02:47

3 years 7 months ago on 08 May 2018 I started this thread for those who wanted to lose weight and have a healthier lifestyle. Many people have joined up and many pounds lost and a few gained.

We now have a small band of ‘regulars’ called Pears who have joined our ranks and they have brought new ideas and support. Many thanks girls what would I do without you all. I am so grateful you have stayed so loyal and been such good friends to us all.

Do join us the rules are simple.

Choose your own style of diet plan.

Check in regularly with a report of the highs and lows of the diet.

Have an occasional binge but get back on the wagon ASAP.
Pass on any useful diet tips.

So for example I started calorie counting with the NHS Diet Plan. I now eat what I like but make portion control my way of life.

You have nothing to lose, other than weight, on this thread.

Our new mantra is - Eat Less for Life.

So Onward and Downward Pears ??

Shinamae Mon 02-Jan-23 17:14:09

I’m an apple, stick thin arms and legs, all my weight is in my trunk….🫣

NanKate Mon 02-Jan-23 16:42:19

Welcome EllieRose you will find a lovely lot of Pears and some Apples here too. We support each other through thick and thin 😉

I will start a new thread now.

See you folks in Part 4. 👋

EllieRose Mon 02-Jan-23 13:42:36

Hello everyone. I'd like to join your lovely group. I am definitely a pear but tending more towards a light-bulb at the moment (💡an upside down version of this!) I have lost and regained weight many times over the years, 4 stone on one occasion, with SW, but since my DH died 16 months ago ny sweet tooth has been given free rein and I really must start eating more sensibly. I mostly eat vegetarian with the occasional addition of chicken or fish, don't drink alcohol very often and intend curbing the sweet tooth drastically. Hopefully with portion control and a bit more exercise that will do the trick. I'll brave the scales and the tape measure tomorrow morning.

Shirleyw Mon 02-Jan-23 09:06:42

Morning all……well, I’m up 4lbs, got to say I’m pleased with that, thought it would be a lot more, usually it’s half a stone up …..I wonder if I’m now mid 60’s I can’t put it away as much lol…..still, I’ve resetted nhs weight loss app, reactivated ‘active 10’…just took j out for a 20 min walk and 9 minutes of it were brisk 😀…..have a good day….

NanaAng14 Mon 02-Jan-23 09:02:39

Good Morning , I'm a pear and can relate very much to putting weight on ,last 2 or 3 years .Used to go days or weekends away with friends and we all blended nicely in the photos. During Covid, we didn't get together until about 6 or 7 months ago and resume our little hooleys away.
I now notice in the pics I am the large lady .
I am thinking of quietly trying to eat healthy and lose a bit of weight ( mind you , that's about 2.5 st ) and by summer , maybe our 'days away ' photos won't embarrass me so much .
Today is a new day !

MayBee70 Sun 01-Jan-23 22:30:17

Was quite good over Christmas but just now I finished off what was left of the Christmas log and the last three mince pies. Tomorrow I’m back on the 16:8 diet. Not going to weigh myself for a week as my weight shoots up so quickly. And am thinking about rejoining the gym. I’ll go there mid morning when it’s quite quiet ( still worried about catching covid).

CocoPops Sun 01-Jan-23 16:52:02

Wishing you all a Very Happy and Healthy 2023 . I went away with my daughter and family for a week to their island cabin. We had a white Christmas and enjoyed some very pretty walks in the forest and on the beaches. Their family meals are high in carbs and what with the irresistible mince pies etc.etc. I am 6.4 lbs over my target but back on the wagon today!

Whiff Sun 01-Jan-23 12:49:23

NanKate sorry your family was poorly over Christmas. Thank goodness for their neighbour and getting to the hospital quickly . Hopefully everyone is fully recovered.

Happy new year pears another year of battling the fight that never ends. But doing it together helps especially as it's with friends.

Well much to my surprise I have only put on 2.5lbs. Hadn't weighed myself for 2 weeks and was convinced I had put on 7lbs. I ate what I wanted and had the 9pm munchies. But to quote Whoppi Goldberg from Sister Act today is a new day.

Need to be good as my brother and sister in law plus Aggie are coming to stay next weekend. My grandson is excited finally he gets to walk her and play ball Aggie not my sister in law 😁
His little brother will want to do it too. My brother isn't going to know what's hit him with the pair of them.

Hope this year sees you all healthy and happy. And you do all the things you want to. Can't believe nearly time for a new thread. NanKate thank you for starting the pears. 😘

NanKate Sun 01-Jan-23 11:33:39

Happy New Year Folks. 🥂🥳

Only a few more posts until we move onto No. 4 Thread 👍

Shinamae Sun 01-Jan-23 10:03:12

Well in just over two weeks and I have managed to accumulate 4lb, 🤦‍♀️..not totally unexpected but still a bit of a shock anyway it is what it is and now starts the sugar-free year… i’m basically just being a bit more aware of what goes in my mouth…

Shinamae Sat 31-Dec-22 18:11:23

I have for the last couple of years always weighed on a Sunday morning Stark naked in the kitchen.. however over the Christmas period I have not weighed for two weeks but will start again tomorrow morning. I have not really over indulged this Christmas,just had a few mince pies and some Christmas cake and a bit of trifle and my lovley Saint Agur cheese ( which I will never give up,absolutely delicious with crusty bread!) as I don’t drink alcohol I can allow myself small indulgences I feel. The main thing I will be avoiding is sugar, cakes, biscuits, sweets (can’t do much about the hidden sugar that seems to be in most things these days).. Anyway I wish you all a happy and healthy New Year but don’t be too hard on yourselves…💐💐💐

SachaMac Fri 30-Dec-22 17:50:42

Hope everyone is now feeling much better NanKate, what a worry for you all, lucky they have a neighbour who could offer some good advice.

Shirleyw Thu 29-Dec-22 18:07:16

Oh nankate what a worry for you all, glad he has improved, and that’s right, luckily Not strep A…

NanKate Thu 29-Dec-22 16:30:55

Thanks Four for your kind words.

I’ve not eaten that much this Christmas and this is why. 😳

We went to our DS and his lovely Partner. All 3 children have been ill throughout the holiday.

Coughing, sickness, temperatures and worse. Our youngest who has allergy and asthma problems became worryingly ill.
Fortunately the neighbour is a paramedic. He came and checked our boy and said he should be taken to hospital immediately. Told not to phone 111, just to take him. DS and his partner packed up and got him into Brighton Hospital as an emergency. The NHS was brilliant and in 2 and a half days got him well enough to return home. Fortunately not Strep A.

I can’t eat when stressed which is a bonus, but I don’t want to go through those few days again.

It’s wonderful to be home.

Hope you all had a much happier time.

Aldom Thu 29-Dec-22 10:19:42

I love your GD's gorgeous snowman CocoPops. Best wishes to you all. wine shamrock

fourormore Thu 29-Dec-22 10:13:33

You and me both Sachamac We went away for Christmas and were fed roughly every couple of hours smilesmilesmile - apart from the full board menu every day there was morning coffee and afternoon tea each with mince pies or similar!
Like you I will not be weighing until after this weekend is over as we have more folks over and more food is necessary.
Never mind - we need treats and naughties every now and then as life is too short but we will all encourage each other once we all get back on track.
That is the beauty of this thread - no condemnation, just encouragement and I'm sure we all want to thank NanKate yet again for starting it! flowersflowersflowers

SachaMac Thu 29-Dec-22 09:43:57

I have definitely over done it. I’ve eaten and drunk an awful lot of things I normally avoid. Lots of different cheeses which I love but don’t eat, I rarely drink but have had quite a bit of alcohol this year, including a few cocktails. Throw in a few creamy desserts, a massive portion of Christmas Pud & chocolates, the usual festive indulgences I suppose but for me the weight goes on very quickly so I’m dreading getting on the scales.
I went out with friends to the cinema last night, followed by a curry which was good but highly calorific.I am waiting until after New Year now to weigh in and face the music then the plan is to get straight back on track. Overeating and sitting around has made me feel very lethargic so I really want to get back on a healthy diet and get some energy back.
Hope you all enjoyed your festive treats. Happy New Year to you all.

Shirleyw Thu 29-Dec-22 06:56:47

Morning…how’s it going this week food wise?….I haven’t been on scales, waiting till Monday. I’ve not been over doing it as much as I usually do….but enough 😅.

Hope you all have a happy and healthy 2023…..

SachaMac Sat 24-Dec-22 15:55:17

Have a wonderful Christmas everyone and here’s to a happy, healthy 2023 🎄🥂

Dorsetcupcake61 Sat 24-Dec-22 15:47:33

Merry Christmas everyone. Have a happy and blessed Christmas🎅🙏

Whiff Sat 24-Dec-22 14:23:22

Cocopops brilliant snowman .

Whiff Sat 24-Dec-22 14:22:34

Not going to weight myself tomorrow as it's Christmas day and intend to enjoy myself.

Welcome Doodledog I found as NanKate calls it eating less for life is a marathon not a sprint. If you set yourself a target to achieve each week you will only get upset if you don't do it. I am talking for decades of experience. I don't think fasting even though some people do it and like it if you have any form of illness the last thing you want to do is shock your body into thinking you are starving. As our bodies are very clever and if you don't eat it holds on to your fat cells to keep your organs working.

I count calories . I weight and measure everything I eat and drink. Not for everyone but it's worked for me . After decades of dieting losing stones then have a bad few weeks gave up and put more on. In 2017 had jaundice my wake up call I had to change my life. No one was dependent on me so finally I could do want I wanted 5 months not being able to do anything . I decided to move house,lose weight and get fit.

Moved ,lost just over 7st was over 19st and size 32 now just over 12st size 14/16 on top 16 on bottom. Went to sit fit classes. Still trying to lose the last stone and bit but the main thing is I haven't given up. Last week put on other weeks stayed the sames for weeks others lost. But I still weight ,measure and count me even when I over eat. I was born with hole in my heart and HPX and have PAF. My way works for me.

I will say when you start your eating plan remember to measure yourself . Especially if you are going to exercise. I had been exercising for a few months and put weight on but had stuck to my allowance . But when I checked my measurements I had lost inches. As apparently muscle weights more than fat.

Anyway hope you all have a wonderful Christmas and 2023 is the the year we achieved all we want . 🌲🥂🎅🎁🍾

NanKate Sat 24-Dec-22 10:09:46

Lovely to see all the Pears and Apples on here 👍Wishing you all a Happy and Healthy Christmas. 🎄❄️☃️🥂

Shinamae Sat 24-Dec-22 09:26:24

Wishing you all a very Merry Christmas. I have a Christmas cake and 12 mince pies which I will allow myself to start devouring tonight and over the next few days but really I am not craving sugar anymore as for over a month I have hardly had any (except for my weekly carrot cake at Marks & Spencer’s!).. Anyway I am quite confident that going into the New Year I will be able to stick quite rigorously to my “sensible eating plan”…⛄️☃️❄️🌨

CocoPops Sat 24-Dec-22 00:13:55

Merry Christmas everyone. GD was busy today building "The Snowman"

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion