Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Gym membership

(10 Posts)
Ravelling Thu 13-Jan-22 06:49:29

Thanks for the replies. I’ve had a look at the class schedule. Unfortunately, there isn’t a Pilates or yoga class that works with my days off, but I’m going to try the pool, too and see if I can get a place in one of the heavily subscribed aquafit classes.
My hip is less painful and more functional today, so I’m feeling less sorry for myself!

Ravelling Thu 13-Jan-22 06:46:44

GagaJo

I'm so jealous. I used to bl**dy live the gym. But I won't risk it now with covid.

I was a bit concerned, but the precautions look as good as anything I’ve seen: extractors, distancing, constant cleaning.

MayBee70 Wed 12-Jan-22 21:26:18

GagaJo

I'm so jealous. I used to bl**dy live the gym. But I won't risk it now with covid.

Me too. That and the sauna. I actually miss it more than going to the cinema/theatre. A local village has installed gym which I’m going to try out. I’d been going to various gyms for years prior to the pandemic and really loved it. It’s two years since I’ve been and I feel as if my body is just seizing up. I actually fantasise about going there!

GrannyGravy13 Wed 12-Jan-22 21:20:30

GagaJo

Have been back to our local gym as soon as it was able to open, never felt unsafe, so many precautions taken.

Aveline Wed 12-Jan-22 20:30:10

I'm a great fan of Aquafit. It's a workout for all muscles and the water provides resistance but also support for dodgy joints. Plus it's good fun. I couldn't be bothered with all the 'machinery' in the gym and just walk for exercise.

GagaJo Wed 12-Jan-22 19:32:08

AreWeThereYet Wed 12-Jan-22 19:23:08

Do they have yoga/pilates classes? Stretching well should help alleviate the pain in some of those muscles that haven't been used much for 5 years. It will loosen the muscles up so that you can exercise more easily too. Often they are included in gym memberships.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 12-Jan-22 19:20:39

You need to stretch after exercising, ask the instructor to show you what stretches to do for different body parts.

Try to keep moving otherwise your muscles may seize up.

mumofmadboys Wed 12-Jan-22 19:19:11

Exercise gently at first and gradually increase. Also try a walk each day for gently improving your fitness. Good luck

Ravelling Wed 12-Jan-22 18:56:58

So, after two years of covid restrictions, working from home etc. I’ve started feeling fat and frail. I have no core strength and my new shape is depressing. I joined a 12 week course run by my local leisure centre which offers free gym membership and access to all their classes and activities, which sounded just what I was looking for.
Yesterday, I went for my gym induction. I haven’t been in a gym for at least 5 years and every part of my body seems to have seized up since then. Just using a treadmill and cross trainer has left me in agony. Something in y hip and left buttock seems to have malfunctioned and even sitting hurts today.
I’m going to stick with it but I fear it’s going to be much more difficult than I hoped!