Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Is it a good choice to join a walking club?

(11 Posts)
Hetty58 Sat 11-Mar-23 19:35:46

My friend really enjoys it - but then she's more sociable than me. She's worked her way up to the 'fast' group who do longer distances. I prefer long walks with the dog, like to stop and chat with people, but generally prefer to be alone.

overthehill Sat 11-Mar-23 19:26:39

Fleurpepper

I belonged to one and everyone was very friendly. But it was not for me- as it was not possible to stop and admire a view, a flower, a bird or any wildlife encountered. It was walk, walk, walk and nothing else, and I found it frustrating. Much prefer walking on my own or with one or two friends who feel the same.

Agree with you there. The trouble I find is people who lead are avid and usually fast walkers leaving the rest trying to keep up. I gave up walking with a group because of this

posset Sun 06-Nov-22 14:28:48

I recently joined the U3A and walk in their "middle distance" group (5-6 miles). All very friendly and welcoming.

BlueBelle Sun 21-Aug-22 06:31:13

What’s happened to the question none of the answers suggest a problem?

Mandrake Sun 21-Aug-22 01:07:39

I prefer to walk alone but have found a walking group I go to occasionally. The weather isn't always right for it either so, socially, I prefer indoor activities. At least they aren't weather dependent.

Fleurpepper Sat 20-Aug-22 09:49:46

I belonged to one and everyone was very friendly. But it was not for me- as it was not possible to stop and admire a view, a flower, a bird or any wildlife encountered. It was walk, walk, walk and nothing else, and I found it frustrating. Much prefer walking on my own or with one or two friends who feel the same.

Athrawes Tue 19-Jul-22 12:00:55

I'm thinking of joining a walking group. A neighbour keeps suggesting it to me and I have to admit the group is very friendly. I did say that I can't walk very well but with a smile she said there as a 'slower' group aand they don't go far - and we'd all have a cuppa in the local cafe afterwards. Decisions, decisions!

Calendargirl Tue 19-Jul-22 09:33:08

Probably not when it’s 40 degrees though.

?

Snowedunder Tue 19-Jul-22 06:20:12

I think it’s definitely better to walk with a group. I joined one when I retired. There are only 5 of us at the moment. The group is aimed at short walks- about 1.5 - 2 hours long on flat ground. A benefit for your parents would be meeting new people.

BigBertha1 Tue 19-Jul-22 06:04:59

Short answer yes but distances may be a problem depending on your parents mobility. Are you deciding for your parents or are they deciding for themselves? Makes a difference.

diana28 Tue 19-Jul-22 00:18:15

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.