Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Just ordered a treadmill!

(17 Posts)
schnackie Wed 08-Feb-23 13:37:34

I am way too excited about this, but feel like I've had a lightbulb moment! I am a dedicated couch potato, and hate myself for it. But even on a sunny day (and there aren't that many) I genuinely hate walking! I find it boring and nowadays a bit painful. Every week I make a mental pledge to get out of the flat - plan to listen to radio/audiobooks etc - but it never happens. My flat is small, as is my budget, but I found a small, foldable treadmill for just over £200. At the moment I am feeling like I will get my life back when it arrives, but I am going to have to make myself use it! Wish me luck. Anyone on here tried this?

Soozikinzi Wed 08-Feb-23 13:49:44

DH has a treadmill he uses . (I lke walking the dog outside so not for me ) He has it set up with an incline near the patio door looking out onto the garden .He watches series on his chromebook while he's on it . He watched all of game of thrones on it so he usually does 40 mins a day .Good luck !

FlexibleFriend Wed 08-Feb-23 14:04:52

You have to be dedicated to use it everyday and tbh you don't sound as though you would. I used to walk on a steep incline listening to music and found the time flew but I've never been a couch potato.

Shelmiss Wed 08-Feb-23 15:04:54

You definitely don’t need to use it everyday. Just do it maybe once or twice a week to start with, working your way up. Definitely a good idea to lose yourself in a TV programme on a tablet of some kind, it passes the time while you’re walking!

NotSpaghetti Wed 08-Feb-23 15:08:55

I think I'd have to say to myself that I'd use it every time I fancy a coffee (say) and I must do 10 mins first!

karmalady Wed 08-Feb-23 15:09:44

Good luck schnakie, I had one once and used it for a couple of months, then it became unused and I got rid of it. I hope you do better than me. I find any indoor exercise boring, hence my need to go cycling outdoors in the fresh air

pascal30 Wed 08-Feb-23 15:17:26

I bought myself an indoor mini trampoline intending to exercise daily.. It took up a lot of room, I didn't use it for long and now it is foldedup in my attic room. I hope you have more success..

Wyllow3 Wed 08-Feb-23 15:19:42

I've just got one.

Please make sure its robust enough, unless you are light and small, at that price they are low end and can wobble and the step length shorter - does it have something to hold onto that is reliable? OTOH if you have to lift and fold it not too heavy either. I'm not too good at walking alone out and about, so its ideal for me: plan to use it in the evening (do yoga every other morning at the gym and thats enough without adding the treadmill).

My docsis advice - everyone "able" needs to aim eventually for 30 mins a day, but can be done in bits. I'll set it up in the kitchen, it's a through room with TV in view.

Fleurpepper Wed 08-Feb-23 15:23:32

Sorry, but can't think of anything worse. Why not go for brisk walks, in fresh air and lovely places?

Kate1949 Wed 08-Feb-23 15:27:26

I hope you enjoy it. I bought one during lockdown. It is now gathering dust unused for months. blush

NotSpaghetti Wed 08-Feb-23 15:30:53

schnackie has told us that getting out is hard for her Fleur as she isn't motivated.
If you can make yourself do 5 mins in your pyjamas that's 5 mins more than yesterday.

I'm inclined to be encouraging here.
Do it little and often and make it part of your life.

Good luck!

HousePlantQueen Wed 08-Feb-23 15:31:46

I hope you enjoy it, well done on making a start! Talking of which; my hairdresser rents a room in a gym near here, and when I went yesterday, the car park was full, typical of January/February, by May I will be able to park easily again!

Fleurpepper Wed 08-Feb-23 15:39:36

NotSpaghetti

schnackie has told us that getting out is hard for her Fleur as she isn't motivated.
If you can make yourself do 5 mins in your pyjamas that's 5 mins more than yesterday.

I'm inclined to be encouraging here.
Do it little and often and make it part of your life.

Good luck!

oh yes, of course. Just personally don't get it- nothing could motivate me to run on it- although I do use a reclining indoor bike and a rower.

schnackie Wed 08-Feb-23 16:06:30

Thanks for the supportive messages. In my defence when DGS was born in 2012 I stayed with DD for 6 weeks. She lived in a big apartment complex that had a gym and I used the treadmill almost every day. My son-in-law even commented to my DD that he thought I had lost weight! (Guess he didn't want to say it to me implying that I was fat! grin) And he was right, I lost half a stone. Fingers crossed for this attempt.

GagaJo Wed 08-Feb-23 16:06:51

I had an exercise bike years ago which I used a lot while watching TV.

Also had a cross trainer but as others on here have said, it wasn't heavy duty enough and I got rid of it.

Wyllow3 Wed 08-Feb-23 16:15:21

The difference between an exercise bike and treadmill at home are slightly different benefits.

I shall be walking not running btw - but walking is weight bearing for the whole body which we need if still possible,

and the advantage of a treadmill over walking outside is that its flat, safe as has grab handles, and can stop anytime ie easy to build up in small chunks.

Bikes are not weight bearing but fantastic for knees/hips as weight bearing slightly less of an issue.

Both great for general fitness.

Cross trainers ..well, great for all sorts, but yes as GagaJo says they have to be heavy to be safe and I doubt you can get a fold up.

Riverwalk Wed 08-Feb-23 16:19:20

Many decades ago when my children were young I had an exercise bike which I used occasionally listening to very loud music to encourage me!

I'd place it in your living room, not hidden away in your bedroom or spare room, that way you will use it more.

With a bit of luck, once you've got the walking habit and those endorphins have got going you'll be inspired to walk outdoors sunshine