Gransnet forums

Dieting & exercise

Pandemic Paunch - has anyone else put weight on during the lockdowns?

(8 Posts)
Lazypaws Fri 05-Mar-21 17:04:30

I have various health issues and have, more or less, been shielding since last March - with a couple of days out here and there when possible. I got Covid 19 in early December and although I didn't go to hospital, I was pretty unwell. My partner, who doesn't live with me, was also very unwell.

I weigh quite a bit more than I should, not all of it was put on during the lockdowns, I hasten to add. I'm not allowed to go out of the house until the restrictions are lifted so I struggle with my weight and exercise. Has anyone else had this problem? What have you managed to do to put it right?

Grandma70s Fri 05-Mar-21 17:17:15

I have put on a stone. I’m not officially overweight, but I know that my middle and my waist are too fat now. I think it’s mostly because I’ve been eating too much, to relieve the boredom. I’m not mobile enough to go for walks, but I was never overweight before, so it must be the extra snacks and comfort eating.

To put it right? I am attempting to eat less, which I find very difficult indeed.

M0nica Fri 05-Mar-21 17:23:41

I weighed myself this morning and my weight is unchanged from this time last year.

We have continued to eat as normal. We rarely eat between meals under normal circumstances, so didn't during lockdown.

Doodledog Fri 05-Mar-21 17:24:14

I have gained a lot of weight over lockdown. My thyroid is underactive, and I'm another who hasn't been out of the house for a year.

I recently bought an under desk 'cycle', and am trying to build up my stamina and leg muscles with that.

I eat reasonably healthily, but am trying to watch out for sugar in what I eat and drink, and reduce it as far as possible.

Maggiemaybe Fri 05-Mar-21 17:51:59

I put half a stone on when I broke my arm and couldn't exercise properly for a few weeks. Plus I was advised by the fracture clinic to eat regular meals, and give up my usual 5:2 for a couple of months. I'm back to normal now, and trying to shed it, but it's proving harder than I imagined.

I must admit to having more comfort "treats" than previously, though. I guess I'll have to stop throwing the crisps and cheese in the online trolley.

harrigran Fri 05-Mar-21 18:49:50

I have actually lost weight, only about 2 kilos but I am surprised as I have been in the house since February last year. DH has lost 15 kilos.

Doodle Fri 05-Mar-21 19:01:19

lazypaws oh yes lots of weight put on here. I have tried cutting back and have started seriously being careful for the last two weeks. I have now started doing small exercise sessions during the day.
I am determined to lose this weight but can only cut down on dinner as the rest of the day I don’t eat much at all. I just eat too much for the energy that my body uses so eat less exercise more is my answer.

Redhead56 Fri 05-Mar-21 19:20:44

I don't weigh myself I only have a small appetite these days. I have eaten a lot more fruit to hopefully reduce cholesterol level. My bra size has definitely reduced but my waist line has increased. Probably because I am not running around after my little granddaughters. Spending too much time on this iPad instead but now the weather is improving I can start work on my veg patch.