Gransnet forums

Discount codes/offers

Sales

(8 Posts)
soontobe Thu 01-Jan-15 10:17:46

I rarely go to the sales.
And realise I am late this year!

At the beginning of sales, is there normally lots of merchandise in the sales, or only a tiny part?
I went yesterday, and apart from probably Next who seemed to be selling all the stock they ever owned, most shops only had a tiny proportion of their stock on sale. And even that only generally had 30% reductions.

soontobe Thu 01-Jan-15 10:59:23

Actually, come to think of it, TK Maxx was heavily into reductions too.

Humbertbear Thu 01-Jan-15 11:18:49

Boots has a great sale. They sell all the gift sets at half price so I stock up on toiletries and birthday presents. I think most stores hope you will be lured in by the promise of a sale and then buy at full price. Sales aren't 'what they were'. Don't forget Black Friday weeks before Christmas.

soontobe Thu 01-Jan-15 11:30:53

I was wondering whether sales have changed in nature since I last properly went, Humbertbear.

I did go in Boots, but it was one of the last shops of the day, so only ventured partly through the shop. I missed the gift sets.

soontobe Thu 01-Jan-15 11:33:29

Another thing that happened was that I asked if some small bathroom furniture was on sale in M&S , as it was tucked underneath some other stuff, and I would have had to partly upset the entire display to find out.
The assistant said no it wasnt, but I should look online as it could be on sale online.
I didnt know that sort of thing happened either.

vegasmags Thu 01-Jan-15 11:39:31

I admire those of you with the fortitude to go bargain hunting at the sales. Personally, I am now skint and feel that I never want to go into another shop again. Presumably, this is why I always miss those amazing bargains ...

ninathenana Thu 01-Jan-15 14:54:40

We needed a new toaster so I was pleased to see one half price in a sale. After checking I discovered my three nearest branches were out if stock. I did a bit if surfing and found one almost identical for £8 less than the sale price.
Don't be fooled by what appears to be a bargain.

soontobe Thu 01-Jan-15 14:58:50

hmm. Yes. I can see that I am quite out of date regarding how sales work nowadays.

That piece of bathroom furniture? 2 shelves In the shop for £95, and not in sale.
Online, 4 shelves £89. 3 shelves online £129. None of them on sale.
World gone mad!