Gransnet forums

Discount codes/offers

Calling all detectives out there - reuniting a ring

(12 Posts)
mumofmadboys Tue 16-Jul-19 07:10:08

Would any other neighbours remember her surname?

notnecessarilywiser Tue 16-Jul-19 06:46:56

What about writing a letter explaining the situation to the Practice Manager of the GP that she was registered with when she was your neighbour? If her records are still on their files they should have contact details for a next of kin. Obviously they couldn't pass these details to you, but may be willing to make contact and ask the next of kin to contact you.

Songbirds Mon 15-Jul-19 21:19:55

Thanks for all the brilliant advice. I will look into all of this. What a lovely group of virtual advisors you are - your brilliant.

MissAdventure Mon 15-Jul-19 11:27:38

How about Facebook?
I've heard of many success stories of tracing things and people.

luluaugust Mon 15-Jul-19 11:19:42

I think the Electoral Roll is your best bet, 30 years is a long time. 1991 Census not available for 100 years. Good luck let us know if you get anywhere.

BradfordLass72 Mon 15-Jul-19 10:08:50

Librarians are very good at this sort of thing and know how to access the records.
They may also have the Electoral Rolls.
Starting with your own address, if you could just find her surname, that would help.

The library may have old telephone books, from when you were neighbours, on microfiche.

The other thing is, anyone can send for copies of a Will, you don't have to be a family member.
With a surname, you might find which solicitor drew it up, if anyone did, and a contact for her son as well. It's quite cheap to do this.

The surname is the vital thing.

Songbirds Sun 14-Jul-19 12:24:10

Thanks Septima, a lot of good ideas here. I wish, l could trace electoral roll on line, but seems expensive as you have to pay. I am just trying to do a good deed here. Will try the residential/sheltered accommodations route, as well. But having checked, there are loads of them. I only have her first name. But it would then give me name of her son, as hopefully he grew up there. Would be worth the trouble....well done with your endeavour and happy conclusion.?

Septimia Sun 14-Jul-19 11:23:42

You could try the old voting lists/street directories/telephone books. Not necessarily easily obtained, but worth a try and some information might be accessible online.
Did you have a local library that she might have belonged to? They might be persuaded to give you a surname if their records go back far enough. Or perhaps a group like the WI - there might be someone who remembers her.
I once tracked someone down in a very roundabout way by finding someone who lived in the same village (can't remember exactly, vicar or WI member or some such) and asked them if they would be kind enough to pass on my contact details. It took a while, but it worked and I didn't have a surname either! It's surprising how old-fashioned methods can beat technology.

Songbirds Sun 14-Jul-19 10:38:25

Thanks Elegran - l remember the area, but not the name. It was some kind of sheltered accommodation from memory...

EllanVannin Sun 14-Jul-19 10:34:07

I was about to say the same as Elegran. The care home would be the first port of call as I'm sure if you tell them your reason for tracing the family they'll oblige you.

Elegran Sun 14-Jul-19 10:30:40

Do you know the name of the care home, or even the atreet or area it was situated in? They will have the name of her next of kin in their records. They probably won't give it to you, but may pass on a message from you.

Songbirds Sun 14-Jul-19 10:27:32

Here is the story...l bought a sofa from a next door neighbour but one, who was in her 70’s. She went into residential care and l lost touch.

When sofa had its day, l ripped out lining from bottom, for any stuff. Found a wedding ring. Remember her saying she had lost it. She loved her son, and grandkids. Would be really special if l could trace, but how?

I only have her first name, and address when we were neighbours, from many years ago. Others neighbours have passed/moved on, when l went back to enquire.

We lived in North London - Harringay. Her son was somewhere in Essex, l think.

Any slueths out there......fancy solving this one?

Would be great, to do so.