Gransnet forums

Education

Modern technology

(17 Posts)
Greatnan Mon 24-Jun-13 05:44:54

Funny how many people see us as a nice, placid, available group of old fogies ready to help with their research for nothing!
I was a grandmother at 42 and so were many more of us. Ditch the stereotypes, they only serve to annoy!

MargaretX Sun 23-Jun-13 22:57:00

Perhaps it is one of Lord Sugar's apprentices doing 'Market Research'
They never seem to get that right.

Charleygirl Sun 23-Jun-13 20:14:26

The fellow may well regret getting in touch with us lot. I must return to my sewing and knitting.

I had to be computer competent when I was working and I retired 10 years ago.

Ariadne Sun 23-Jun-13 20:10:14

Right on, gracesmum! I am very IT competent, and would have been in my youth had technology been as advanced as it is today! And Lilygran has socked it to them as well. grin

absent Sun 23-Jun-13 20:05:41

Not only am I not a silver surfer, I am not lovely either. The OP is profoundly patronising and probably should be on the paying media thread.

Lilygran Sun 23-Jun-13 17:44:25

Wrong demographic, vct2013

annodomini Sun 23-Jun-13 17:09:58

Well, I think the OP will get the message now!

gracesmum Sun 23-Jun-13 17:07:15

AIBU to feel somewhat patronised? We are not sweet little silver haired old ladies sitting around downloading crochet patterns off the internet or asking our grandchildren how to use a mobile!! As Mamie says, most of us have been using computers, not to mention IT/ desktop publishing/electronic whiteboards/powerpoint etc throughout our professional lives - and many still are!

Mamie Sun 23-Jun-13 16:57:07

No I don't think so. Many people on here have worked with computers since the early 1970s or before and might feel a bit patronised by that approach.

Charleygirl Sun 23-Jun-13 16:56:55

I also do not read instruction manuals so I would not be interested. Also for me, very much trial and error. Why a comsumer slot on daytime TV? Are we older people in bed too early to watch TV for grown ups?

Ana Sun 23-Jun-13 16:55:27

And I'm not a 'silver surfer' actually...

Aka Sun 23-Jun-13 16:50:17

Well if it is, and you are probably correct, there's not much interest! grin

Nonu Sun 23-Jun-13 16:44:28

Ariadne , great minds et al . wink

Ariadne Sun 23-Jun-13 16:34:00

Forgive me for being cynical, but is this the prelude to a sales campaign?

Aka Sun 23-Jun-13 16:24:57

No, me neither. But then I never read instruction manuals either. Like Anno it's sort of trial and error, or asking 'how did you do that?''. My favourite button is the 'undo' one.

annodomini Sun 23-Jun-13 16:14:59

No, I don't think so. I have learnt all I needed to know by trial and error over a number of years. All programs have 'help' menus which I have found very useful.

vct2013 Sun 23-Jun-13 15:50:48

I know you lovely silver surfers have cracked the magic of today's technology. That's why you are here now!.
Before you started learning, if you had had access to a tutorial DVD or could watch a short consumer slot on daytime TV about computers, mobile devices etc or even read a column in your favourite magazine about seeing modern technology through your eyes.....Would that have been beneficial to your learning experience?