Gransnet forums

Education

Open University

(83 Posts)
mollie Tue 04-Feb-14 19:30:48

I quite fancy doing a course and have been browsing the OU site but I'm disappointed by the choice now and shocked by the fees! I did some OU courses in the mid-90s so I knew what used to be on offer but I guess the change reflects the current demand. Does anyone else study with the OU or an alternative?

papaoscar Wed 05-Feb-14 21:55:43

I took an OU maths course a long time ago and was well pleased with it. But have a look at the Futurelearn site. They offer a range of free online short courses from many UK universities, which sound very interesting. I start my course in April. Has anybody tried them yet?

wisewoman Wed 05-Feb-14 22:10:03

Teagan if you are on a low income you can get help to pay for them in Scotland. Depends on your income.

papaoscar I have signed up for the Futurelearn course "Causes of War" starting in April. Wonder if you are doing the same one. There is certainly an interesting range of courses.

mollie Wed 05-Feb-14 22:19:06

Futurelearn is an interesting site...perhaps we should start a GN study group?

papaoscar Wed 05-Feb-14 22:22:28

Good idea, Mollie.

mollie Thu 06-Feb-14 19:50:54

Thank you to those who mentioned Futurelearn - I'm signed up to do the Web Sciences course that starts on Monday and I've got my eye on several more. Maybe if there are others interested we can start a study group thread?

Ana Thu 06-Feb-14 19:58:21

I'm really thrilled by all these new opportunities - I never knew there were so many free courses! Thanks, everyone.

Bothiegran2013 Thu 06-Feb-14 22:40:43

I recently did a short course on astronomy and found it very useful. I have done the science Foundation course in the past and was then going on to do a second level course, but divorce got in the wary. I wish now that I had gone on and finished the course! but ........ I would recommend the OU.

papaoscar Thu 06-Feb-14 22:51:06

Wisewoman - yes, I'm really looking forward to it.

mrsmopp Thu 06-Feb-14 23:53:24

I loved the OU. It had such a high standard standard in every aspect. They were very supportive of mature students who were returning to study often after a number of years. I did it for 3 years, culminating in a Shakespeare course which I enjoyed so much I was really upset when it ended.
I did go on to Uni after the OU.
Highly recommend it. It has an excellent reputation, well deserved.

grannyactivist Fri 07-Feb-14 00:22:45

Another one here who did Social Psychology with the OU. I wonder if we shared the same tutor when? I completed it a couple of years before going on to do Social Work at university in Manchester.
Now I'm going to have a quick mooch around these free courses that have been mentioned before toddling off to bed. smile

whenim64 Fri 07-Feb-14 05:55:06

ga I wouldn't be surprised if we did have the same tutor. Mine was Peter Bannister - he was based at Manchester Uni. I attended Saturday morning tutorials on Oxford Rd - Social Psychology was my favourite course. Long live the OU!

leslies Fri 07-Feb-14 09:15:32

I started my OU courses in the late 70s, and during my years of study I had my three daughters, three years in total between the three of them. It was hard but very worthwhile - I recall at least the first year or two was fully funded by the old ILEA. Following my degree I then qualified as a solicitor. I cannot speak to highly of the OU. A couple of years ago I looked into doing further study with the OU, just for fun and to keep my brain in shape, but decided the cost was unacceptable. It is sad the OU is no longer readily available to all due to the cost restraints.

annodomini Fri 07-Feb-14 09:46:38

Isn't it great that so many of our grans have done so well with the OU? Who was it said that education is too good for the young? I'm almost sure that I would have gained a better degree if I'd been more mature.

grannyactivist Fri 07-Feb-14 10:39:26

Yes, when, same tutor - small world. smile

whenim64 Fri 07-Feb-14 10:42:11

We'll meet one day and discover we've been sitting in the same room in years gone by ga grin

whenim64 Fri 07-Feb-14 10:47:37

.....by the way, ga he was chair of the British Psychological Society last year. Knows his stuff.

grannyactivist Fri 07-Feb-14 16:17:42

I googled his photo when and he looks exactly the same as he did twenty+ years ago. I want some of whatever he's been having!

whenim64 Fri 07-Feb-14 16:49:32

Oh, yes, so he does ga. He looks like he's still in his late forties.

Judthepud2 Sat 08-Feb-14 11:19:25

I did my MA in Education over 3 years with the OU when I had 4 young children. This led to amazingly good job opportunities and I ended up being an OU associate lecturer on a 3rd level course. Highly recommend this method of study. The materials are superb and means very little extra expenditure. Fees are now very high though due to government shift of focus from education for all to vocational agenda. Priority for funding goes to those wanting to gain first degree or vocational progression. Pity! Open University philosophy started as being a liberal provision to those who missed their opportunities in their youth for Further Education. My father was one of the first students, having missed out on a chance to go to uni due to WW2. Achieved his longed for degree BA in Education at the age of 56.

One advantage of OU that is different from most distance learning is the high quality support structure from allocated tutors (ALs).

lefthanded Sat 08-Feb-14 11:39:37

I did an OU degree in the 70s/80s and most of my fees were paid by the local authority. When I got to the last year, the policy and changed and they were not paying grants for OU study but luckily for me my father-in-law paid the last year's fees for me.

For me it was a life-changer. I left school at 16 (in 1967) with three "O" levels and in the early-eighties I was working as a manufacturers representative for Izal (yes - the toilet-paper people) - but with my OU Degree which was IT-based, I applied to the Civil Service and got a job as a EO-grade programmer. I retired from the Civil Service as SEO. I would never have got that job without my degree.

mollie Mon 10-Feb-14 17:16:44

Just a quick catch-up... I started my first MOOC today via Futurelearn. I'm doing a Web Sciences course and have spent a couple of very interesting hours on the history of the web. The presentations were great, the downloadable materials excellent (so no need to take mad notes as transcripts of the talks etc were available to download) and there were lots of links to other sites for related materials to supplement what the course offered. The FutureLearn site is easy to navigate and use. And even better, it's all free! I'm looking forward to continuing and have already signed up for a couple more (these courses are short at around 3 hours per week for six weeks) - thank you to those who pointed me in their direction !

wisewoman Mon 10-Feb-14 17:55:02

That is great mollie. I am really enjoying the Introduction to Philosophy course The lectures are really good and, as you say, you get handouts as well. At the end of each section there is a "quiz" where you can see how much of the lecture has been retained! Starting "Causes of War" one in March. All this free education is wonderful.

mollie Mon 10-Feb-14 18:48:51

I wonder if these are on a rolling programme because I'd like to do that Philosophy course! I think mine was first rolled out last year so I'll keep my fingers crossed...as you say, wisewoman, all this free learning is a definate bonus! Suits me fine because it's short term commitment so no fear I'll get bored and give up!

wisewoman Tue 11-Feb-14 16:42:08

Mollie Tutor on philosophy course says it is presented twice a year. Have spent an afternoon on the "philosophy of mind" lectures and my brain
(?mind) feels like mince!

mollie Tue 11-Feb-14 19:24:44

Thanks for that, Wisewoman, I'll look out for it. I've just finished week 1 of the web science course and I'm hooked! I like the format and the subject and now I've got lots to think about and research until week 2 begins on Monday.