Gransnet forums

Education

Study shows that helping children with homework is detrimental

(40 Posts)
Mishap Mon 31-Mar-14 14:05:10

Interesting American study has come to this conclusion. It challenges the idea that parents should be asked to be partners in their children's education and advocates the approach of previous generations who "concentrated on getting children to school on time, fed, dressed and ready to learn."

In other words: let the teachers do their job in school, where learning is the objective; and let the parents concentrate on creating a happy family environment for their children to grow up in. Sounds just the ticket to me.

Mamie Wed 02-Apr-14 16:48:52

I did the sarcophagus for a mummified banana too (with DGD honest) hmm
We bought the gold paper though!

Penstemmon Wed 02-Apr-14 16:44:44

shysal grin just heard my DGD is doing an Egyptian topic next term! I am off to get the chocs now!

FlicketyB Tue 01-Apr-14 22:29:44

DD is still rankled at not winning a plasticine modelling competition at a school fete when she was 8.

Her model was so good that the judge could not believe that an 8 year old could have done it and said it must have been done by one of her parents, so she didn't win a prize.

What was particularly annoying, as she didn't hesitate to point out at the time, was that, as her father had been away working for the 2 weeks before the fete, the only parent who could have helped her was me and my skills in modelling were far inferior to hers. If I had done it she would have been last in class.

shysal Tue 01-Apr-14 09:27:55

GS6 and I won an excellence award for our Egyption sarcophagus containing a mummy! It was such a chore, especially having to eat my way through a large box of Ferrero Rocher for the gold foil!

Mishap Tue 01-Apr-14 08:22:43

I once wrote an essay for my OH when he was at uni - the lecturer was so impressed he read it out to everyone. OH eventually fessed up, as he felt so embarrassed - lecturer laughed his head off and said he once got his wife to write an essay for him!

Penstemmon Mon 31-Mar-14 22:57:14

I know gillybob It is crazy!

We used to have a Xmas decoration competition and you would be surprised at the dexterity and artistic sophistication of some 3-7 yr olds!! wink

gillybob Mon 31-Mar-14 22:36:55

I knew what you meant Penstemmon smile

My DGS's nursery had an egg decorating competition and the children had to decorate a boiled egg as a cartoon character. Most of the entries were clearly done by the children (with a little help) but some of them were so good that it was obvious that a parent or older sibling had done the decorating. Why would you do this?

Soutra Mon 31-Mar-14 22:36:38

My mother was German and she absolutely refused to give me any help with my German homework on the basis that a) it would be obvious and b) how would I ever learn. I taught DD3 German in the Sixth form so there was no point in helping as I was going to mark it anyway! But I was shocked at how many students handed in work which wa s clearly not entirely their own.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 31-Mar-14 22:25:36

I don't think there would be time in the school day for that penstemonni. As it is, teachers have a job getting all of the curriculum into the term.

Penstemmon Mon 31-Mar-14 22:16:42

Should say ' Nothing wrong gillybob'

Penstemmon Mon 31-Mar-14 22:12:19

Nothing gillybob! That's encouraging and helping and not doing! I sat with my DGS (Y1) today whose weekly task was to draw a picture of his mum and write an interesting sentence or two underneath about her (linked to school work on Mothers' Day). I chatted to him about what he wanted to write about his mum and helped him decide between commenting on her 'really really curly hair' or the fact 'she has only had 9 real birthdays' The birthday fact won as he said the teacher could see form his drawing that her hair was curly!

I have had amazing illustrations and pieces of work that were obviously not done by children. I tried to say to families that it was not a competition but there are always some parents out there who just can't help themselves!

Mishap Mon 31-Mar-14 22:06:24

I like the idea of independent study time for older pupils within he school day.

gillybob Mon 31-Mar-14 21:51:54

I always sit with DGD when she does her homework. I also assist her by breaking down words when she is stuck on an awkward spelling although she more often than not gets it right eventually anyway. I can't see anything wrong in doing this.

Penstemmon Mon 31-Mar-14 21:45:52

If by 'help' they mean 'do the homework' then of course it won't help the child! Teachers, despite popular opinion, are not stupid and know if it is a child's own work!

Early tasks (Reception/KS1) suggested by schools to do at home is intended to demonstrate a 'partnership' between family and school and help busy working parents to get to see what is happening in school. If it does not do that, either because school fails to pitch or explain the tasks properly or because parents are over competitive /anxious then it is not doing the job it was supposed to do.

Homework for older kids can be a good discipline but again some helicopter parents cannot let their kids do it alone and some teachers set inappropriate work. I think I am coming to the conclusion that, for older children, there should be school based time for 'independent' work. This could be available for an hour and a half after each school day & overseen by 'supervisors' as at exam time. It would not be compulsory to attend but the completion of the tasks would be. Work could be 'stamped' if it was completed at the independent sessions to inform teachers. Probably happens already in lots of places.

Greenfinch Mon 31-Mar-14 20:54:34

My two sons both did Economics at A Level two years apart with the same teacher. The elder one got an A for an essay he did. Two years later he "helped" his brother by giving him the essay to copy. Strangely,DS2 only got a C. Astute teacher no doubt grin

Greenfinch Mon 31-Mar-14 20:50:18

A long time ago when I used to teach RE the father of one of my students was a psychiatrist at Broadmoor. All her pieces of homework used to come with a psychological explanation which was very interesting but was obviously not her own work. For example in the miracle where Jesus healed Peter's mother-in -law it was explained that she was suffering from depression because her SiL had left home to follow Jesus and she was worried how they would cope but when she came face to face with Jesus she recognised his charisma and began to understand him so much so that she was able to rise from her bed and carry on with her life. I quite liked the explanation but it was hardly the work of an 11year old.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 31-Mar-14 20:11:00

My dad (a doctor) once did helped me with my biology homework. I got a C. And the teacher was one of his patients...

annodomini Mon 31-Mar-14 19:35:53

At 17, I 'helped' sister with Latin homework. I'm sure the teacher knew whose hand was in it. However, sister shocked us both by scoring very well in her Latin exam with no help from me at all.

Iam64 Mon 31-Mar-14 19:11:45

Don't hide in the corner Anno. I was still helping with homework when my 25 year old was doing on line work for her post grad course. I didn't do it, of course, but we talked about it to help focus on the stuff that really had to be understood.
I don't think little ones should get homework. I know we've discussed that endlessly, but I do believe down time, relaxing with parents is as important. I'd support reading books, and spelling tests on Friday, but not projects for example. So difficult for parents with limited resources, and unfair on their children.

Mishap Mon 31-Mar-14 18:53:26

Tsk! tsk!

annodomini Mon 31-Mar-14 18:35:16

Is this the moment to confess that I help DS2, aged 41, with his assignments for OU French course? .... (creeps into corner, hanging head in shame)

Aka Mon 31-Mar-14 18:31:25

hmm

Mishap Mon 31-Mar-14 17:47:17

Google is the word missing from the previous post!

Mishap Mon 31-Mar-14 16:36:34

www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/uk_news/National/article1393930.ece

That's it folks - you have to pay if you want the whole article!

There are lots of bits of interesting research if you "effectivenes of homework" or something similar.

Mamie Mon 31-Mar-14 16:33:50

Yes I immediately thought "detrimental to what?". Progress? Exam results? Happiness? Family harmony? Television time?
Not sure about how far back in previous generations they are going. I remember supporting mine through GCSE and A level projects. My OH says his father used to do his French homework for him..... hmm