Gransnet forums

Education

This is what 'Education' is all about

(347 Posts)
Aka Wed 16-Jul-14 14:12:42

A primary school sent out this letter with its end of KS2 SATS

Here is the full text of the letter:

"Please find enclosed your end of KS2 test results. We are very proud of you as you demonstrated huge amounts of commitment and tried your very best during this tricky week.

"However, we are concerned that these tests do not always assess all of what it is that make each of you special and unique. The people who create these tests and score them do not know each of you– the way your teachers do, the way I hope to, and certainly not the way your families do.

"They do not know that many of you speak two languages. They do not know that you can play a musical instrument or that you can dance or paint a picture. They do not know that your friends count on you to be there for them or that your laughter can brighten the dreariest day.

"They do not know that you write poetry or songs, play or participate in sports, wonder about the future, or that sometimes you take care of your little brother or sister after school. They do not know that you have travelled to a really neat place or that you know how to tell a great story or that you really love spending time with special family members and friends.

"They do not know that you can be trustworthy, kind or thoughtful, and that you try, every day, to be your very best… the scores you get will tell you something, but they will not tell you everything.

"So enjoy your results and be very proud of these but remember there are many ways of being smart."

HOPE GOVE READS IT AND CHOKES

Aka Wed 16-Jul-14 16:20:06

'apparently it's copied.....' is hearsay.

Nonnie Wed 16-Jul-14 16:20:46

'Being smart' Do teachers really say that?

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 16-Jul-14 16:24:18

What happens in September when they start secondary school? Will they be thinking, "it doesn't matter if I don't do well in my tests. I'm still a good person". How long will they be allowed to continue with that thinking?

Sooner or later they've got to come into the real, competitive aid. Or the high rise council flat beckons.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 16-Jul-14 16:25:48

'World'not 'aid'. Flippin fire!

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 16-Jul-14 16:31:05

I would have thought some personalised message to each individual child on his/her school report would be a better way to go about things.

Ana Wed 16-Jul-14 16:36:37

Yes. Surely they're going to realise that every single pupil has been given the same letter?

Aka Wed 16-Jul-14 16:51:57

There would have been a personalised comment from the HT on every child's report - at least that was common practise in schools that I've worked in.

This is about acknowledging that education is about the whole child not just three results (Maths, English and Science) on a test paper. These tests do not cover Music, Geography, History, ICT, Art, PE, PHSE, RE and so on. SATs only honours achievement and not effort.

Yet, there is nothing in this letter to say these children are not achieving. But it IS pointing out what is not 'tested'.

Those who do not know Nelson I assure you this is not a leafy suburb. There is a large population for whom English is a second language and areas where you can buy a terraced house for half the national average.

If all some can do us criticise some wording or termonology and not look at what lies behind this letter then ....sad

Lilygran Wed 16-Jul-14 16:52:24

What about the poor little b*****s to whom none of the noble sentiments in this letter apply? And what about the ones who have done excessively well academically?

Nonnie Wed 16-Jul-14 16:56:01

It feels political to me.

Surely the report says how they did in the individual subjects and therefore it will be perfectly obvious that the SATs don't cover anything else and if that is not obvious to some of the parents then that letter won't be either.

GrannyTwice Wed 16-Jul-14 17:34:08

Phrases like 'grumpy old women' , 'damned if you do and damned if you don't', 'every silver lining has a cloud' all spring to mind - do some of you find it impossible to say or see anything nice in certain situations ( usually involving bashing state education)? You miserable old sods you!

HollyDaze Wed 16-Jul-14 17:52:26

The letter was a little bit 'syrupy' for my tastes but I would endorse the final sentence without reservation. I think Britain has lost sight of the fact that there is more to a person (or child) than academic achievement - probably why there is such a shortage of skilled, manual workers (plumbers, carpenters etc).

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 16-Jul-14 18:14:42

Are you saying that all children should n't be educated, and stretched, to the very best of their abilities? Just so you can have someone to mend your washing machine?

Grannytwice you sound a lovely little ball of sunshine yourself.

annodomini Wed 16-Jul-14 18:28:52

I heard the deputy head on the radio this morning saying that they had found the letter on the net and used it. In their place, I would have adapted, rather than copied it. The idea is great.

ninny Wed 16-Jul-14 18:48:54

'GrannyTwice' seems to me the only miserable sod on this forum is you.

Nonu Wed 16-Jul-14 18:58:48

Don"t mince your words Ninny,

Gosh shock

merlotgran Wed 16-Jul-14 19:00:12

It's a lovely idea but I don't agree with beginning so many sentences with 'They don't know......' It smacks of blame shifting and children should be discouraged from thinking, 'It's not fair' or 'It's not my fault' when they fail to achieve something.

Mishap Wed 16-Jul-14 19:06:25

Not really bothered where it comes from and don't think it follows that children are being encouraged not to work - it just makes the important point that there is more to education than tests, and there is more to a rounded happy human being than being academically brilliant.

LovingMan Wed 16-Jul-14 19:22:58

This is yet another Urban Myth. It took the Daily Mail 25 years to own up to making up ''Baa Baa Green sheep.''. Enoch Powell claimed that he had proof that excrement had been posted thru' the letter box of one of his constituents by ''immigrants''. He made a ''death bed'' confession that he made it up.
Straight bananas and cucumbers.
Health & Safety gone mad.
Attics of a row of 200 terraced houses being knocked thru by ''illegals''.
''Three hundred holes in Blackburn, Lancashire.''
Dead Grans rolled up in carpets on roof racks.
Urban Myths, many politically motivated, every one!

Nonu Wed 16-Jul-14 19:30:49

Lovingman, are you a Newbie ?

You have a merry temparent!!

ninny Wed 16-Jul-14 19:31:16

When it comes to getting a job exam results matter. Nonu did GrannyTwice mince hers.

Ana Wed 16-Jul-14 19:37:28

It's not an urban myth, LovingMan. Do some research.

Lilygran Wed 16-Jul-14 19:42:15

Hi, Lovingman. I liked your comment on the latest religious wrangle discussion but didn't want to prolong the debate by commenting on the thread! Welcome to Gransnet.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 16-Jul-14 19:45:10

No. It is not a myth. The letter was sent out to parents. By a well meaning, but perhaps politically motivated, head teacher.

Either that, or a slightly educationally challenged one. hmm

Ana Wed 16-Jul-14 19:46:03

He's not new, Lilygran.

rosequartz Wed 16-Jul-14 19:49:01

Jinglebells Are you saying that all children should n't be educated, and stretched, to the very best of their abilities? Just so you can have someone to mend your washing machine?

I am sure Hollydaze is not saying that; I interpreted her post as saying that not every child is a high flier academically; that many children should be valued for what they do achieve even if they don't go to university and that someone who achieves technical qualifications and becomes a skilled worker is just as valuable as someone who goes to Oxbridge. Those who do not have the ability to achieve technical qualifications should not be written off as they can, with help, find a role in life which will be valuable to society.

That being said, I do find the letter syrupy and Americanised and think the school could have written their own version which showed that they do indeed value every child in their school and didn't just knock out a generic letter.