Gransnet forums

Education

Britain's strictest headteacher?

(11 Posts)
merlotgran Thu 17-Nov-16 19:47:16

www.itv.com/goodmorningbritain/news/is-this-britains-strictest-headteacher

DD sent me the link as I don't watch breakfast telly.

I think this woman comes across as more than a little scary so are her students well behaved or drained of personality? hmm

Luckygirl Thu 17-Nov-16 20:56:44

It won't let me watch it - just keeps asking of I live in an ITV region - weird.

Linsco56 Thu 17-Nov-16 21:20:00

Type in a London postcode. I had to use DD's as it wouldn't accept a Scottish one!

merlotgran Thu 17-Nov-16 21:20:58

How strange. I'll see if I can find another link.

merlotgran Thu 17-Nov-16 21:27:28

Try typing Good Morning Britain into your search engine then click on the bit about Britain's strictest teacher. It will take you to the same item.

Linsco56 Thu 17-Nov-16 21:33:26

I watched it. Looks like a bootcamp!

daphnedill Thu 17-Nov-16 22:43:43

I don't think they're drained of personality. I wish more heads took the hands-on strict approach Katharine does. Children need discipline and firm boundaries. I didn't have any problem with what I saw in the clip.

Greyduster Fri 18-Nov-16 09:12:54

Tried everything suggested here but can't get it to run. I'll try and get it later on catchup.

Nelliemoser Fri 18-Nov-16 09:18:44

Who knows! From these short staged clips it is very difficult to know what the effect will be and what the atmosphere is really like.

I am not sure I like the coordinated clapping etc. It all looks a wee bit too regimented to me.

I really feel from the very little bit I have seen it is impossible to make any objective opinion.

Nelliemoser Fri 18-Nov-16 09:19:32

I just entered my postcode.

daphnedill Fri 18-Nov-16 09:47:22

I belong to a couple of teachers' chat sites. A number of members have visited the school. Initially, some of them were sceptical, as was I. However, all of them were impressed by what's going on in the school.

Over the years I was teaching, I came to believe that the vast majority of children are more comfortable when they have clear boudaries ie. discipline. I think they are patronised when people don't think that they can achieve just because they come from unsupportive backgrounds. I used to cringe when some teachers tried to show they were pupils' 'mates'.

I don't support Katharine Birbalsingh in everything she says or does. She was the teacher Gove dragged along to the first Tory Conference after the 2010 election. Her behaviour in mocking one of her pupils was disgraceful and totally unprofessional. However, unlike Toby Young, she does have a track record as a good classroom record. She was a languages teacher and I've seen YouTube videos of some of her lessons before she hit the headlines. She was very impressive. I also think she was not quite being truthful when she portrayed herself as an immigrant made good - she is, but she's also the daughter of a Professor of English Literature.