Gransnet forums

Education

Snowflake generation

(14 Posts)
thatbags Fri 02-Dec-16 08:21:27

Discussion about education (what it means) between Joanna Williams and Dave Rubin on YouTube. Part one of two.

Am about a third into it and finding it a good listen. Doing my knitting at the same time.

virginialuther12 Mon 13-Mar-17 11:25:04

Thank you for the information

Starlady Sun 26-Mar-17 12:11:10

Thanks!

Norah Sun 26-Mar-17 15:30:42

Interesting. The term snowflake generation is demeaning. Agree with sex education by parents.

nanaK54 Sun 26-Mar-17 17:27:48

I cannot bear this 'snowflake generation' description - I have four grandchildren none of whom could be described this way.....

Ziggy62 Sun 26-Mar-17 21:04:00

during a rather heated debate on facebook between my daughter and her cousin, my brother referred to her as "auld snowflake", I had no idea what this meant so googled it. My daughter born in 1990 is on the autistic spectrum but has done very well having recently gained a master's degree. The article I found described the "snowflake generation" as being special and unique and not able to accept criticism. Well I am proud of my daughter (even though she drives me crazy at times with her behaviour) BUT although I always told her she was special, beautiful and intelligent (and quite possible unique) she doesn't have a problem with criticism. She will always put up a good argument and never agrees with others just to be liked.

Ana Sun 26-Mar-17 21:33:21

Ziggy, I'm sure your daughter is indeed wonderful.

The term isn't supposed to apply to all our DC/GC but the recent decisions by Universities etc. to ban speakers who might possibly 'upset' or 'offend' students, and the offering of counselling for those who may have been traumatised by matters which most of us would consider trivial has contributed to the expression.

whitewave Mon 27-Mar-17 07:49:42

A silly generalisation that has very little meaning or usefulness

Iam64 Mon 27-Mar-17 10:15:07

It's used in. Derogatory way, in much the same way as "baby boomers" is. All intended to put an entire generation down and cause dissent, pointless and unnecessary.

grannymouse303 Tue 15-Aug-17 10:07:54

The "snowflake" term is so offensive and completely incorrect... It makes me cringe when people say this as I don't know one young person who fits into that description

Starlady Sun 20-Aug-17 03:20:34

Maybe they "can't take criticism" or maybe they're just very independent- minded and really can't accept us boomers trying to tell them what to do now that they're adults. Maybe they see some "constructive criticism" as a disguised effort to control them. I know I did sometimes as a young woman, but didn't know how to articulate that or stand up to it all that well.

Then again, not too many boomers I know liked the older generations criticizing their ways or giving unsolicited advice either. It seems every generations thinks the next is "spoiled," etc, lol!

Starlady Sun 20-Aug-17 03:21:34

Oh yeah, and I agree the term "snowflake" to describe a whole generation negatively is very offensive.

Leticia Sun 20-Aug-17 07:03:59

I can't understand why 'snowflake' is used as a derogatory term. Each snowflake is individual and yet together they literally move mountains! Even if they melt, together they remove anything that stands in their way!

POGS Sun 20-Aug-17 09:53:28

I don't have a problem about the using of the term 'Snowflake Generation'.

I do care about the reason behind why a term which generalises about the ridiculous way some behave, especially in our Universities/Higher Education Establishments has caused the term 'Snowflake Generation' to evolve.

We have had threads before that have raised the subject of the Snowflake Generation and the fact there is without doubt a will by some , usually in our universities, to suppress debate/free speech and will use their personal political persuasion to deny others of what has been an unspoken right of hearing both sides / debating .

To me the term 'Snowflake Generation' is not a strong enough a term in most cases such as the 'No Platform' scenario .