Gransnet forums

Education

Help with homework?

(115 Posts)
annodomini Fri 09-Mar-18 10:27:32

According to report, UK parents give their children less help with homework than parents in other countries. Did you help and do your GC get help from their parents? My DS2 told me I never helped him which may be true but, as I replied, he never asked me except once, with a French oral assignment. Do I feel guilty? No! He seemed to do well enough without my help! I did read through his Uni and MBA dissertations and correct his punctuation.

Grandma2213 Sun 11-Mar-18 01:44:32

My DC never wanted help with homework and usually did it on the bus to school. Then in Y10 DS complained that his English teacher 'had it in for him' and never gave him good marks no matter how he tried. I worked as a teacher in the same school and to prove he was wrong I wrote one of his English Literature essays for him. He copied it out of course! I got a D!

I have a degree in English. The teacher at the time had a Teaching Certificate! By the way I also did training courses in the standardisation of GCSE marks so had a good idea of what was expected.

After that I encouraged him to do his best for a bit longer but ignore her marks. He got a B at GCSE though to be honest he never really made much effort!

Madwillow Sun 11-Mar-18 06:30:23

I agree-homework should be done by the child, not the parents.

maddy629 Sun 11-Mar-18 06:58:57

I helped all three of my children with their homework when they needed it but my husband did most of the helping. I did type the whole of my son's Uni
dissertation.

pollyperkins Sun 11-Mar-18 10:01:05

I think to help them when stuck ie ask them questions or give them ideas is ok. But to actually do their homework is ridiculous -doesn't give the teacher any idea whether they have understood or not. I helped Dgs recently at parents request as he was stuck. Started him off on the right . track but he then did it himself and I was aware it wasn't all correct but didn't say anything . Main thing was he had attempted it.

M0nica Sun 11-Mar-18 18:12:13

When DGD came to stay at half term, she brought her SATs revision books with her. Each morning she would sit down and do one paper before we went out for the day. We would read it through with her afterwards and discuss anything she had got wrong, but nothing was altered in her test book. To be fair, there was no temptation as DGD is bright and errors were few and far between.

Bbbface Mon 12-Mar-18 12:06:54

It’s a positive.
Can lead to discussion and debate.
More involved with their school life.
It needn’t be spoon feeding. It can be discussing, guiding, you being a spring board for ideas.

tessagee Mon 12-Mar-18 17:19:47

Yes I supervised all my children's homework on a daily basis, they are now all in professional jobs, so definitely worthwhile. I'm now doing similarly for some of my locally based grandchildren though not every evening of course.
Their parents do it on the remaining evenings/weekends.

Deedaa Tue 13-Mar-18 18:11:20

I once did DS's Art homework for him. As a graphic designer who spent 4 years at art school I wasn't impressed to be given a B! My only excuse is that I was suffering from food poisoning at the time. GS1 gets a lot of help from parents and grandparents with some of his projects because some of his ideas are so blooming complicated!

nigglynellie Tue 20-Mar-18 12:26:39

As both my children and DGC were and are infinitely cleverer than me, my input would have been both useless and futile! DH was always too busy workwise, and far too impatient to be of any help!!! Seriously though I think helping them to understand what they are doing then they can do it for themselves is fine, but just doing it for them is of no benefit at all.

jessicagross Thu 03-May-18 08:08:24

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

mcem Thu 03-May-18 09:15:37

I don't normally read posts which are clearly spam and am about to report this post.
It would take only a short visit to the site to show what a waste of time and money it would be to use them! Anyone foolish enough to fall for this really does need help but I 'd suggest they look elsewhere!
Riddled with mistakes!

annodomini Thu 03-May-18 10:15:43

Totally agree, mcem.

grannyqueenie Thu 03-May-18 10:54:29

Interesting that this post pops up when there’s been stuff in the media about students accessing You Tube videos that encourage them to cheat in exams.

JackyB Thu 03-May-18 11:50:53

Here in Germany parents seem to help their children right down to the tiniest detail. My three DS however, on their first day at school, covered their homework with their arms and leant over the table and told me it was "their" work and they didn't need me!

So I came to hate parents' evenings when other mothers started asking about "Question 3b on page 22" and that sort of thing - of no interest to me at all!

However, now my DS2 is an English teacher himself, he occasionally rings me up to ask me a few things or to help him think of examples for his lessons!

Basically, whatever country you are in, surely it is best for the child to do as much of his homework himself as he can and to learn from his mistakes, as well as learning how to plan his time and work efficiently to be finished as soon as possible.

JackyB Thu 03-May-18 11:53:28

And, as Annodomini, I did proof read all my DS's (and one DiL) dissertations. By then I reckoned they knew how to do things themselves, and the physics was way over my head!

KendraFlorence Thu 03-May-18 21:10:18

MawBroon Thu 03-May-18 21:18:29

Reported hmm

KendraFlorence Fri 04-May-18 18:17:31

Why? I was providing a legit source

williamlucas Wed 04-Jul-18 12:05:31

muffinthemoo Wed 04-Jul-18 12:34:44

You can and will be caught using one of the plagiarism sites, even one that claims to ‘write to order’. The plagiarism software is exceptionally good now.

You will be tossed off your course with the blackest of black marks on your academic record.

It is never worth using a plagiarism site.

thanik Sun 23-Sep-18 05:59:57

silverlining48 Sun 23-Sep-18 10:10:08

Gd in year 4, age 8 state school, and homework is done on a personal laptop which parents are expected to provide. The one they had used up to now is broken, so as they can’t afford to replace it, we have had to buy her a new one. She is now behind with her work and upset. We are upset because we hadn’t budgeted for a new laptop and think it a lot of a cheek expecting parents/grandparents to provide such expensive kit for young children, which not everyone can afford.
Does anyone else’s dgc have similar at their schools?

Deedaa Sun 23-Sep-18 18:44:27

Our school provides guidelines about what can and can't be done on a computer, but I don't think there's any suggestion that the children should all have one. I suspect there are quite a few families wouldn't be able afford one.

marina3 Tue 30-Aug-22 16:02:54

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Greenfinch Tue 30-Aug-22 16:43:18

Older son got an A for an Econmics essay in the Sixth form. 2 years later ..same teacher….younger son copied said essay and got C - . Don’t think the teacher was naive.
We never helped with homework because all three were mainly conscientious and didn’t need it .
However we have grandchildren living with us and it is a different story. They need help and seem to lack motivation. Their books are rarely marked which doesn’t help . We find ourselves giving help and encouragement. As I speak DH is reading Macbeth Act 2 in preparation for helping DGD with her holiday homework. She meanwhile is doing Art on her own which she is gifted at and enjoys.