Gransnet forums

Education

Colleges taking 14 to 16 year olds

(16 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Sun 23-Jun-19 15:05:14

Oh sorry I should have read the whole thread first. I didn’t realise you meant FE colleges.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 23-Jun-19 15:03:29

Lancing College does.

Doodle Sun 23-Jun-19 15:01:42

Thanks cherrytree and others. Agricultural college sounds a good idea.

Cherrytree59 Sun 23-Jun-19 13:50:59

Hi Doodle did try a PM.

Just a thought have you looked agricultural colleges?

TwiceAsNice Sun 23-Jun-19 08:20:25

I would look at another school rather than a college for your grandaughters age. I agree with other posters ( after working in education) that a college may be worse not better

notanan2 Sat 22-Jun-19 22:37:03

Behaviour can be MUCH worse at college in the lower/younger levels than schools. Reason being that 1:1 support that some children had in school doesnt follow them to college and they are suddenly expected to manage in classroom settings with no transition. College can be a "dumping ground" for kids that cant be provided for elsewhere.

I wouldnt go for 14 - 16 in college unless I had a child who schools were refusing to accomodate. Colleges are fine from 16+ & in the higher levels, but otherwise you end up with a bunch of kids that no one else will accomodate, with no support staff. So the classroom environment can be volitile.

If no resolution is found at school and there are no other schools, I would de register. Home ed kids can still sit GCSEs.

Doodle Sat 22-Jun-19 21:56:47

Thank you all.

trisher Sat 22-Jun-19 20:59:16

Doodle I would contact your local college and ask them if you can discuss it with someone. They may allow the child to access some subjects. However just one warning the students in colleges can sometimes be just as difficult and fitting in might be a problem, remember they are older. Good luck and hope you find a solution, it is so worrying to have a child who is unhappy and suffering.

paddyann Sat 22-Jun-19 20:30:50

ask the school or social services .Bullying shouldn't be tolerated in schools but as I know from experience many teachers deny it happens.My daughter was bullied mercilessy for 3 years and the school refused to believe her or us even suspending her for hitting back .I got the police involved and it soon stopped .Maybe try that route if you have alocal PC who would be willing to help.Good luck with it as I understand how this disrupts lives

Doodle Sat 22-Jun-19 20:24:09

Thanks bradfordlass. Our problem is not a gifted child but a bullied child. Looking for a way out of current school. Thanks for answering.

BradfordLass72 Sat 22-Jun-19 01:37:13

I was one tutoring 'gifted children' and their parents applied direct to the universities concerned.

After assessment, some were admitted, some not. The youngest, a maths prodigy (not in my care but the sister of the child I was tutoring) was 11 years old.

Doodle Fri 21-Jun-19 23:27:01

Thanks cherrytree.

Cherrytree59 Fri 21-Jun-19 21:47:05

Doodle sorry I can't be of more help.
I understsmd your worry and concerns
I fear that we could well be in a smilar position in a few years timesad.

Could you approch your local college and ask if they have any advice or knowledge of colleges that take 14 year olds.

Fingers crossed that you find a college placement close to home shamrock

Doodle Fri 21-Jun-19 21:11:13

Hi cherrytree. Thank you for replying. I’ve looked at the website and have found one place in Newbury but would like to know if there are any in Buckinghamshire. Thanks.

Cherrytree59 Fri 21-Jun-19 21:01:56

Sorry Not sure about a list Doodle
However there is a Government web site for college students 14 to 16 year old enrolment.
gov/uk/education

Doodle Fri 21-Jun-19 20:48:33

I understand some colleges can take children enrolling aged 14 -16. Does anyone know how I can find a list of these colleges?