Gransnet forums


DBS certificate

(13 Posts)
GagaJo Thu 19-Mar-20 16:57:20

You’d also need the equivalent of the DRB from whichever country you’ve come from. I’ve got them from China and Spain and need to get one from Switzerland now, as well as the uk.

Callistemon Fri 14-Feb-20 22:50:01

I thought it was fine for teaching in that County but check because the rules may have changed; it was a long time ago when those rules applied

Do you have to pay for it yourself? They are quite expensive.

Curlywhirly Fri 14-Feb-20 22:46:10

I suppose if you think about it, the DBS certificate (which is a check on whether you have any relevant convictions and replaces the CRB certificate) is out of date just after it is issued - you could be found guilty of commiting a crime not long after the check was done and the certificate issued! I presume this is why a new certificate is needed should you apply for a new job.

Ellianne Fri 14-Feb-20 17:25:10

I think once you've got one you will just have to pay £13 a year to keep it rolling over. Then you can apply to any setting and the schools can check it.
Especially as you are coming from abroad you will need a new one post your entry date to the UK.

notanan2 Fri 14-Feb-20 16:46:56

They usually require a new one each time.

If you havs been overseas they can take soms time

Cerys Fri 14-Feb-20 16:45:49

You used to need a new one with a new job but not anymore - I am a recently retired Deputy Head and schools can access them online as long as you give your permission. So you only need do do it once.

Yennifer Fri 14-Feb-20 16:42:52

As far as I'm aware you need a new one if your role changes or moves to a different locaction x

suziewoozie Fri 14-Feb-20 16:36:31

It depends on the level of DBS and the nature of the job the check was done for. As I said, it’s the employers responsibility and you can’t blame them for being very careful given how they’d be thrown under a bus if a child was abused and there was a problem with the DBS

grandma60 Fri 14-Feb-20 16:23:45

I have a CRB as I have invigilated GCSE,s at a local senior school. However I have been told that I would need a new one if I went to another school. Doesn't really make sense to me.

suziewoozie Fri 14-Feb-20 16:17:33

It depends - no simple answer. You’ll just have to ask each potential employer as it’s their responsibility to make sure the correct checks are done at the correct level, what they say goes.

Cerys Fri 14-Feb-20 16:14:54

Online ones can be checked by all schools etc so only need to do it once.

M0nica Fri 14-Feb-20 15:47:33

When I last had one, it was about 2 years ago, it applied to the employer and job you received it for only.

This limitation has caused a lot of people a lot of hassle and exasperation over the years.

evianers Fri 14-Feb-20 15:35:29

Sorry if this sounds a little naive, but having only just returned to this country we do not yet know how everything works. In order to help the less fortunate, have applied to work as a classroom assistant helping with primary school childrens' literacy difficulties and as such Dorset Council have sent an on line DBS certificate application form.
My question is, would this be for the designated primary school only, or is the certificate valid for other teaching institutions? Thank you for all knowledgeable answers.