Gransnet forums

Education

GCSE's and A levels- suspended exams

(8 Posts)
geekesse Thu 19-Mar-20 18:40:15

At present, there is no decision on how GCSEs and A Levels will be awarded. The exam boards and Ofqual will issue agreed guidance shortly. Until then, it is pointless to speculate. There are a lot of options available to them, including rescheduling the exams, using statistics, teacher assessment, predicted grades and / or samples of current work. The decision that they make will be as fair to students as it is possible to be. Please reassure students and parents who are fretting, and encourage them to remain calm. Once the official position is agreed, we will all be in a better position to advise children.

Fennel Thu 19-Mar-20 17:21:46

We have a grand daughter taking O levels, a grandson taking A levels and haven't yet heard about the plans.
Grandson has applied to various universities, which we hope will adapt their standards of acceptance of new students to the current problems.

GagaJo Thu 19-Mar-20 16:54:53

It’ll probably be that already submitted target grades are used. It’s too late for teachers to bump them up so in theory they’re impartial.

Eglantine21 Thu 19-Mar-20 12:52:55

Honestly! possibility, possibility.......

Eglantine21 Thu 19-Mar-20 12:51:59

A possibility bitty is that exams will be taken in the Autumn and that University courses will begin in January.

Although disruptive for this year’s cohort it might be no bad thing long term for exams to be taken in the Summer and University places to be given on actual results. A permanent change to the system?

growstuff Thu 19-Mar-20 12:46:11

Teetime I've been trying to find out what the plans are. It seems nobody knows. Some subjects don't have any course work and predicted grades are notoriously highly inaccurate. It's a really worrying time for students.

I read that there is some talk about sitting exams in September, but I have no idea whether that will happen.

SATs don't matter and, hopefully, will be abandoned. GCSEs aren't that important because pupils have to remain in education anyway and schools can usually give a prediction and personal reference. A levels are important and something needs to decided soon.

I feel so sorry for all the pupils who have worked hard over the years.

shysal Thu 19-Mar-20 11:32:54

One of my GSs should have been taking A levels and another his GCSEs. I think it was mentioned that course work and predicted results would be used. I don't envy the teachers who have to organize it!

On a happy note, I had ordered some Good Luck cards for them, each made with a large bar of chocolate inside. This morning I have started to eat them!

Teetime Thu 19-Mar-20 11:20:33

Can I ask the teachers on here if they have any idea what might happen to the results this year. My daughter is very worried that her son wont get the grades to get him onto the course he wants at college (music) as its oversubscribed. He was on course for an A* but unfortunately had not been putting much effort into other subjects.