Gransnet forums

Education

Home Schooling

(29 Posts)
Floradora9 Sat 25-Apr-20 19:53:35

Are your DGC enjoying home schooling are they actually doing it? There seems to be a large amount of kids who are just having an extended break and will loose out on so much important education. Our GC are bucking down to put in the work the school sets one loving the fact it is all computer based and the younger one having a bit more difficulty. They are lucky tht their dad is working from home so they see him go off to his office and work all day . One of the GC said how nice it was that there was no need to go off to all the after school things they used to do but can just please themselves . I hope the parents realise this too .

annodomini Thu 04-Mar-21 19:42:46

My two GSs, 15 and 13, have school days timetabled as if they were there in person. The older boy has been doing GCSE work and sending work in to his teachers. He should be well up to standard when he goes back next Monday. The younger one has more difficulty getting work in on time. He has a complete maths block - just as some are dyslexic, he is foxed by numbers. He's worried about returning to school in case the teachers are cross with him for not keeping up with all the work. I am sure he won't be the only one in that position. Their parents are both working - Mum is manager of a large supermarket and Dad has been working in a cabin at the end of the garden.

Susan56 Thu 04-Mar-21 18:50:41

My DGD aged five enjoyed homeschooling.Like others she completed the work quite quickly.She has gone back to school this week and is so happy to be back with her friends.

We have two great nieces and two great nephews.The girls have worked really hard,set school 9.30-3.30 daily.They are in years 11 and 13 and are on course to have good results this summer.

The boys who are the same age have done very little.We have tried to encourage their mum to make sure they do some work but she just says they have no work.Come results day in the summer she will blame everybody but herself.

Parental involvement and encouragement has definitely affected how much work the children have done.We feel so sorry for the boys as they are both bright and have done well up to now but have literally done nothing for most of the last twelve months.

Franbern Thu 04-Mar-21 18:36:21

Misadventure my daughter has been going into school with her year 7 pupils throughout this term. They have to follow the same syllabus and lessons as those pupils who are at home. So, these are put own their own individual screens and also the large screen at front of class and she is able to move around assisting those who may need it.

They do have dedicated times for breaks, and also for PE once a week, always taken of doors.

So, those who have gone into school (children of keyworkers and those with special needs), will have done the same work, from the same lessons as those who have been at home.

Sara1954 Thu 04-Mar-21 10:38:27

I have six grandchildren, three currently living with us.
The ten year old has got on with her work every day, no complaints, but has become very moody and withdrawn, we are worried about her. The seven year old is a nightmare, everything is a battle, and I think since half term we have pretty much given up, I’m disappointed that we’ve failed to engage him, but we all work, and are trying to juggle it all. The little one has finally gone back to nursery, so that’s taken some pressure off.
My other family, the oldest is in a GCSE year, should be a high achiever, but is finding things difficult, and the younger one doesn’t want to go back
I know school closures have been necessary, but I think I lot of damage may have been done.

midgey Thu 04-Mar-21 08:36:08

Reported

LincolnHartnett Thu 04-Mar-21 01:30:00

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Sarnia Tue 12-Jan-21 10:46:17

Home schooling this lockdown is more structured than last March. My 2 youngest GD's (6 & 7) are quite happy to get on with the work set. My daughter who is working full-time from home and myself share the work between us. We try to get most of it done during the morning and leave the afternoon for art/craft projects they have been set. Workwise, we are keeping up but it is the social side they miss so much.

Trisha57 Tue 12-Jan-21 10:45:08

Where did my apostrophe go?!!!

Trisha57 Tue 12-Jan-21 10:44:45

Not you Fanny, WiltonBonners post!

Trisha57 Tue 12-Jan-21 10:43:58

Above post reported.

FannyCornforth Tue 12-Jan-21 10:40:03

Reported WiltonBonner 'guys'.
I think that the good women of Gransnet could teach you a thing or too about writing ?

WiltonBonner Tue 12-Jan-21 10:30:21

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

ninathenana Sun 26-Apr-20 14:56:38

There are those that use after school activities as a form of babysitting. The school I worked at quiet often had to wait for pick ups after clubs as parent was late leaving work.

Jane10 Sun 26-Apr-20 11:26:33

I agree Tangerine. I do really think that children need time to be bored, to dream and imagine or just to read if they want to. Life sometimes seems like a relentless procession from school to one or other organised activity.

Tangerine Sun 26-Apr-20 11:04:48

I thought it was interesting that OP mentioned her grandchildren were glad to have a break from their after school activities. Perhaps these days we completely fill children's days.

As far as home schooling is concerned, I imagine it varies from school to school and family to family.

Jane10 Sun 26-Apr-20 10:34:08

My SiL set up an obstacle course in their garden for the boys to complete against the clock. It feeds into their competitive nature but is great exercise for a couple of couch potatoes and also has taught them how to read the clock and lots of work on addition and subtraction while comparing scores. Plus it's fun time with a generally working Dad. Win win win!

Sar53 Sun 26-Apr-20 10:23:07

My eldest daughter has three children aged 11, 8 and 4. The older two have work set by the school and are doing it in the mornings, the afternoons are usually spent crafting or in the garden. The 4 year old is due to start school in September and my daughter is teaching her the basics, how to write her name, recognise letters and recognise and write the numbers 1-10. I think my daughter is doing a sterling job.
My other granddaughter, aged 11 goes to a private school and has her school day on line from 9-3.
They are all learning , but when it all gets too much, as it does sometimes they are allowed to watch some tv.
My elder daughter's husband is a computer geek and has taught them all to program a robot !!

Thingmajig Sun 26-Apr-20 02:36:05

Our grand-kids (6 & 3) are enjoying the time home with mum and dad who are both (allegedly) working from home. Older one is just in P1 and does an hour of school work a day, phonics and number work.
They also both do lots of art work, science and nature with mum. They plant/water seeds, feed the birds and decorate their window with the theme of the week. Lots of outdoor play too in this great weather right now.
A fairly constant source of learning! smile

MissAdventure Sun 26-Apr-20 00:15:32

Oh, he has done some interesting, fun, educational things, wood mouse, but they seem a lot more relaxed sessions, it seems?

That's not in any way a complaint. I would be happy to see schooling in that way all the time.

NotSpaghetti Sun 26-Apr-20 00:04:05

Jane10 - I think if you spoke to almost any home-educating family they would say the same as your daughter.
Most of the school day is not about “education” as such.

WOODMOUSE49 Sat 25-Apr-20 23:06:49

Sorry MissAdventure but I have several friends (teachers and teaching assistants) going into schools to work with groups of children, mixed abilities and ages, whose parents are essential workers. They would be so upset to read that your grandson considers he hasn't done a thing.

These teachers and teaching assistants are putting their lives and their families lives at risk, teaching these children. Many of who have parents that are NHS workers.

MissAdventure Do you really believe your grandson has gone to school for 6 hours and sat doing nothing?

MissAdventure Sat 25-Apr-20 20:49:01

My grandson has been at school through all this, and doesn't seem to have done a thing.

Jane10 Sat 25-Apr-20 20:43:24

My DD has found that they get through the set work far more quickly than she'd thought. Of course at school a lot of time is taken up by break, assembly, changing for gym/games, music etc as well as other children taking up the teacher's time. With her undivided attention they get through it in a morning so can play in the garden pm. They send in their work to the teacher via email and have a Zoom class meeting every week.
On the other hand, yesterday a lady I was talking to said her children did no school work as she was working and her husband at home 'wasn't interested in that sort of thing'!! She just laughed when I said the children might have a rude awakening when back to school. Poor teachers though!

WOODMOUSE49 Sat 25-Apr-20 20:33:55

Two DGC - one with son (13 yrs old) and other with daughter (15 yrs old)

Oldest has all lessons done through ZOOM with daily contact all day with the teachers. She is loving it,

(As an ex Primary Teacher), when children return there will be differentiated lessons planned. This the normal way of planning so all abilities are covered. It is very probable that schools will do assessment during the first 1/2 term to establish gaps in the core subjects and see what progress has or hasn't been made.

Greenfinch Sat 25-Apr-20 20:29:59

My grandchildren are living with us at the moment and so we are heavily involved in the home schooling. They are 12 and go to different schools. The girls' school takes a very sensible approach and sets about 30-45 minutes for each 60 minute lesson.There are 5 in the day. The boy is autistic and so has more difficulties. His co-ed school feels it should fill the whole five hours or more and so he has more work to do. We are enjoying getting involved but it is very hard work as we are not au fait with all the technology invoved and have run out of ink cartridges for the printer! Brushing up on French has been quite a challenge and Art and Drama pose some problems but we are learning a lot.