Gransnet forums

Education

Educators' prime objective

(9 Posts)
Alexa Wed 06-May-20 10:29:33

The prime objective of educators under which all other aims are subsumed is to teach the use of reason including of course emotional reasoning. The use of reason leads to reflection and reins in both biological impulses and misinformation from traditional nurturing.

Bridgeit Wed 06-May-20 10:32:08

Agree with the statement, but I am not sure what you are posing to discuss.

Alexa Wed 06-May-20 10:43:41

Thanks Bridgeit.( Did you know Saint Bridget was midwife to Mary ?)

I was looking to read some objections which are useful for sharpening up arguments.

Elegran Wed 06-May-20 11:31:01

The literal meaning of the the verb "to educate" is to "lead out" or to bring out the innate abilities of the pupil. That does involve feeding ideas and facts as catalysts, but should not deteriorate into stuffing them full of predigested attitudes and data, to be regurgitated on demand.

Bridgeit Wed 06-May-20 11:33:16

No I didn’t, ( more info please ) but I do know no one would want me as a midwife?

Alexa Wed 06-May-20 11:45:54

Bridgeit, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imbolc

pagan roots. Fertility.

Elegran too, above poetically and unintentionally describes midwifery .
philosophycourse.info/lecsite/lec-socmidwife.html

Davida1968 Wed 06-May-20 11:50:48

Perhaps the prime "purpose" of education should be:
"to nurture and bring up our children to be kind, thoughtful, caring citizens, who have a sense of purpose about their own formal learning, and a commitment to looking after others as well as taking care of their own health, alongside developing a positive work ethic. To be literate, numerate, and motivated to have a life-long interest in both the pursuit and acquisition of knowledge. To have a continued sense of wonder in, interest about, and support for our world and all living things, alongside a clear understanding of the sciences and appreciation of the arts." Just a thought! (I concede that this could probably be better expressed.)

Bridgeit Wed 06-May-20 11:54:54

Thank you , that explains why I like a party every once in a while.

Bridgeit Wed 06-May-20 11:56:40

Perfectly expressed Davida1968, thank you