Gransnet forums

Education

Homeschooling parents, really so perfect??????

(73 Posts)
felice Wed 20-May-20 12:10:24

Dear parents,
why am i constantly seeing photos on FB of your perfect children in your spotless homes doing lots of amazing projects etc.
Parents I know you and your little darlings very well, and unless being stuck in a 4th floor apartment for 10 weeks has had some miraculous effect on their normal behaviour then your fibbing.
I am looking out to my Garden room which is covered in pens, pencils, books and scrunched up bits of paper.
DGS is playing in the garden with his dog and I am driving the neighbours nuts shouting for him to come in and finish todays work.
I know that wonderful model your 3 year old son did yesterday is the one you made to demonstrate a bible story at Christmas Daddy. DGS name is one of the Sunday School childrens written on the side !!!!!!!!
Please be real parents, we are all in the same boat at the moment and it is very disheartening when I or Maman and Papa are really pleased that we got the reading done and we see little Johnny has successfully applied to Cambridge.

Thank you
a fed up Grandma.

rosecarmel Thu 28-May-20 03:28:25

Instagram to Twitter: Instatwit smile

MissAdventure Sun 24-May-20 23:53:04

Twitter to Facebook.

Twitface.

rosecarmel Sun 24-May-20 23:49:43

My Space to Facebook to one day maybe My Face!?

May7 Sun 24-May-20 23:29:40

Fakebook

Roses Sun 24-May-20 10:55:02

Facebook. Don't you mean Bragbook

dragonfly46 Sun 24-May-20 10:44:09

I take what people put on FB with a pinch of salt.
As I have said elsewhere - people only put on FB what they want people to see.
There are many people in the world who only want to project a perfect picture.

My DC used to complain to me that I only told people the bad stuff. I was never one for boasting!

trisher Sun 24-May-20 10:32:44

Can I add as well that the parents of young children are now very aware of the needs of their children and they know that sitting at a table, socially distanced from their peers with limited access to equipment will not meet those needs. So the children are better off at home interacting with their parents and siblings.

GagaJo Sat 23-May-20 22:29:46

Davidhs, parents think it isn't safe to send their children back to school. I don't blame them.

Chewbacca Sat 23-May-20 19:52:10

I don't think it's because mums don’t want to change the routine Davidhs that they're reluctant to send children back to school just yet. Many of the young parents that I know are struggling to work from home and keep their children focused and up to date with online school work; not an easy juggling act and so you'd expect them to be champing at the bit to get their children back into school. But there are a myriad of reasons as to why their is a reluctance to send them back must yet: compromised health of the child, of siblings, other family members, plus the knowledge that whilst its suspected that young children generally won't suffer too badly with the virus themselves, they can be carriers of it.

Hithere Sat 23-May-20 19:42:01

In my case, I wouldnt very comfortable letting my kids go to school till I see how the numbers look like.

It would be way easier for me to send them back to school and take a breather.
I feel my family's health is more important.

Davidhs Sat 23-May-20 19:33:53

I’m surprised how many parents don’t want their kids to return to school. OK there is the virus risk, but is it just as much the kids have got used to the routine and mums don’t want to change it, only to change back in a few weeks. Also they really enjoy the home baking!.

rosecarmel Sat 23-May-20 19:25:37

Some of the apps they're being asked to use glitch out, and don't save the work they've completed- It's then lost, and needs to be redone-

They had interviews on the radio the day before yesterday with some younger students and their parents - A portion of the segment was devoted to parents of autistic children, their collective struggles, their support for each other and their complete sense off loss they feel without their children's special education teachers in person assistance-

As it stands, schools will open in September, half the students will attend for 2 days, then the other half- However, if their is a second wave, I imagine that will change-

Off topic, I saw the first going out of business sign up today- Pier 1 Imports is closing all of its stores- The first of what may be many more to come- JC Penny could be next-

NotSpaghetti Sat 23-May-20 18:44:28

rosecarmel that is truly awful. As ever, the poorest and disenfranchised take the brunt of it.

mcem Fri 22-May-20 18:18:50

Unfortunately my 2 DGC have to be in lockdown with their father.
Very rigid in his views and believes that much of the work being set by school is a waste of time so concentrates on tables/numeracy/spelling/reading.
A baking activity involving weighing and following a recipe was dismissed as useless.
All work submitted to school is perfect as the children must redo it until it meets his 'high standards'.
He will accept no help or input.
Poor kids won't be back to school until August and although I am behind the way that lockdown is working, I feel for these kids!

Hithere Fri 22-May-20 17:25:22

Great recession is already here

rosecarmel Fri 22-May-20 17:22:22

A report came out yesterday indicating that 40+% of layoffs resulting from the pandemic will result in permanent unemployment, nearly one half of the workforce-

Evictions, in this state, were suspended 90 days by executive order from the governor for commercial business but not for residential tenants-

An estimated 3 million evictions could potentially be carried out over the course of the summer- Education would then truly be up to the parents discretion because you don't get to throw people out onto the streets and then require parents to adhere to a specific curriculum, via internet, when they're transient-

As it is, our rural communities don't have internet access- Parents are driving to parking lots of McDonald's and other establishments to connect to their free Wi-Fi in order to do schoolwork-

NfkDumpling Thu 21-May-20 21:28:42

grin

Bluecat Thu 21-May-20 18:26:12

Damn, it keeps deleting my **!

Bluecat Thu 21-May-20 18:25:34

That was, of course, supposed to be a **.

Bluecat Thu 21-May-20 18:19:12

I have done homeschooling for my daughter when she was in her teens and also for a couple of my primary school age grandchildren, for various reasons. You do start off with the idea of a curriculum and maybe a timetable, but it just doesn't work at home. It's all trial and error before you settle into a routine that works. However, homeschooling under lockdown must be very different, as you can't take advantage of all the resources out there in real life.

As for Facebook, it's a window for narcissists. I have a niece by marriage - a niece-in-law? - who fancies herself to be an incredible baker. Recently she posted on Facebook 150 photos of cakes she had made over the past 4 years. Honestly, who gives a **?

sarahanew Thu 21-May-20 14:19:55

Oh dear, I don't do Facebook, it always shows people having a great time, doing more, having a better time, being more perfect than you or real life. Best avoided

dragonfly46 Thu 21-May-20 12:57:45

Maggie grin

Chardy Thu 21-May-20 12:50:13

Marian1412 - fronted adverbials are a (comparatively new) part of Y6 KS2 SATs. Amazing how we got through life without knowing their name.

Both KS2 and KS3 SATs became obsessed with technical jargon in Maths and English a few years ago. I think it was David Cameron, who when asked if he could have done these tests, said he wanted the next generation to be better educated than his. Do I need to remind he went to Eton, with their tiny classes?

Sadly I was told recently that it's not enough now to give the right answer, you have to say why that's the answer, and if you don't use the technical descriptor, you don't get the mark!

felice Thu 21-May-20 12:37:35

daddima I like that, last post from me on this, thanks to all who 'got it', the Dad who posted the 'Christmas' model is so blushnow that he has offered to pay for the first round when we get back to all going out for lunch after Sunday School sometime in the future.
It is a public holiday here today, and normally my Son-in-law would be dressed up in Medieval costume carrying a huge Crossbow marching around the city after a very long complicated Church service in the Eglise de Sablon(worth a google), attended by royalty.

Building a bug house this afternoon, so better get organised.

Daddima Thu 21-May-20 12:11:06

I liked this from Joe Heenan on the Twitters -

[1st day of homeschooling]
Me: “You start at 9 & finish at 3, lunch will be 45 minutes & I'll check your work at the end of each day! “

[Homeschooling now]
Me:” Just play Fortnite, and if you get hungry there's some stilton in the fridge. I'm too f*#kin’ drunk to care”