Gransnet forums

Education

School staff not allowed to wear masks

(185 Posts)
GagaJo Mon 10-Aug-20 13:28:41

At my old UK school (worked there until xmas), the staff have been made to sign a document to say that they will commit to NOT wearing masks in the classrooms or in school.

The rationale behind this is that the school will put all of the governments 'safety' measures in place, so it won't be necessary.

Which is obviously tosh. Children don't understand social distancing. The classrooms are small. To be safe, you'd need a maximum of 6 people in a room. Class sizes are usually 32/34. Even if the class sizes are halved, that isn't a safe ratio.

I feel so bad for my friends. US teachers are writing wills before returning to schools, just in case. Seems UK teachers will have to as well.

maddyone Wed 12-Aug-20 10:39:49

When I was teaching, I would say of the extra curricular and enriching activities that were offered, that most ethnicities participated, but not all. It probably depends on what is being offered, and the age of the children. I worked with primary children, but secondary colleagues in the area I taught in told me that Bangladeshi girls were often kept at home instead of attending school, in order to help with house work. I regarded that as very sad.

Ellianne Wed 12-Aug-20 10:43:59

You certainly missed out on some comprehension skills teaching somewhere in your education.
Ha ha, maybe yes, inner London comprehensive me but didn't stop me getting top degree from top university.

GagaJo Wed 12-Aug-20 10:50:32

maddyone

When I was teaching, I would say of the extra curricular and enriching activities that were offered, that most ethnicities participated, but not all. It probably depends on what is being offered, and the age of the children. I worked with primary children, but secondary colleagues in the area I taught in told me that Bangladeshi girls were often kept at home instead of attending school, in order to help with house work. I regarded that as very sad.

I got no uptake from white students for my extra English help club at that particular school. Asian students attended, mostly boys, but most of the Asian students at that school WERE boys. I know they were forced by parents to come because they told me. I loved the fact that their parents appreciated extra academic help.

It was open to any students. At other schools I've had more of a mix for after school help.

gillybob Wed 12-Aug-20 10:57:24

You certainly missed out on some comprehension skills teaching somewhere in your education

I'm sorry but that was a rude thing to say to a fellow poster MazieD . Just because someone doesn't agree with your views?

I wish OP's could make it clearer as to what job title and what qualifications are needed to allow someone an opinion on these forums. Perhaps a code of sorts?

maddyone Wed 12-Aug-20 11:06:11

Gaga, as I said, I was a primary teacher, in fact infant teacher, and I am very much aware that many Asian families are incredibly supportive of their children’s education. My husband was deputy head in an independent, boarding school. He worked in the upper school, and there were many Chinese students there who had very supportive parents.
In my school, in a more ‘tough’ area, we had almost no Chinese children, but many other ethnicities. The underachievement of white boys was certainly a difficulty for us, but that means English white boys. Eastern European white boys did not underachieve as a group. However most of our parents were supportive, but our Junior school colleagues reported that parental interest fell off with many parents as the children got older. And I already mentioned reports from our secondary colleagues.
I don’t think you’re saying anything that I don’t already know, it’s just that our experiences are different.
Mostly our extracurricular clubs were focused on wider experiences for our children, so we ran tennis club, art club, sewing club etc. We found all ethnicities happy to take up these activities.

GagaJo Wed 12-Aug-20 11:14:56

Yes, I think academic clubs are less popular. More work! But speaking as a parent, rather than a teacher, I would have taken someone's hand off if they were offering extra academic help for my daughter.

The Asians at that particular secondary school were Indian / Bangladeshi / Pakistani rather than Chinese. All very keen for their children to do well though.

You're right about the white European boys. I had a Polish lad come into school mid way through Y10 with very little English. In his English GCSE just one year later, he got a higher grade than the other boys in his class. Lovely lad.

FarNorth Wed 12-Aug-20 11:28:21

So all of you are HAPPY to enter a small space, with 30 plus other people who come from a huge variety of backgrounds and areas? No real attention to health and safety.

Yet other enclosed spaces have to have screens and masks and physical distance.
I wonder why.

The Prime Minister had a very nasty time with Covid, you may remember.
He discovered that his positive attitude, while cheerily shaking hands with everyone, was not quite good enough.

cupcake1 Wed 12-Aug-20 11:39:19

Bravo gillybob Ellianne what a vile comment and from a so-called fellow teacher, unbelievable!

gillybob Wed 12-Aug-20 12:09:44

It's like I said cupcake1 there really should be a warning at the top of each thread telling us who is allowed to post an opinion and what level of education they should've reached .

Lucca Wed 12-Aug-20 12:21:37

Not a very productive thread really. Some entrenched views from posters who repeat themselves WITHOUT reading other posts. One or two who lob in a one/two sentence prejudice.
It’s a shame for those who wNt to have a rational discussion.( I include posters from all sides in That by the way. ).

Ellianne Wed 12-Aug-20 12:26:23

Don't worry cupcake. The laugh's on me.

You certainly missed out on some comprehension skills teaching somewhere in your education. * Maizie* certainly missed out on some grammatical skills' teaching in HER own education. Correct me if I'm wrong, but she didn't apply the apostrophe to show possession in her haste to criticise me. It is the teaching OF comprehension skills she was trying to say.

gillybob Wed 12-Aug-20 12:41:58

Well I hold my hands up and say my "grammatical skills" are pretty poor, but there again I didn't think they were a condition of posting here on Gransnet. Neither my qualifications (negligible) nor my career path.

Hey Ho.

eazybee Wed 12-Aug-20 12:47:49

The Prime Minister recovered and went back to work, which is what many people wish to do, despite the scaremongering actively encouraged by some.

It is a crisis that the schools have been unable to function properly for six months, and calculated risks have to be weighed against future consequences if we don't return to full time education. We have to learn to live with this virus.

Ellianne Wed 12-Aug-20 13:03:14

You're right gillybob I couldn't care less what writing or comprehension skills anyone has on here. Our brains all work differently, we just want to Express ourselves. Thank you for pointing out how unnecessary the criticism was.

cupcake1 Wed 12-Aug-20 14:47:29

Ellianne touché grin! gillybob flowers for addressing the vitriol on here, it’s a disgrace. Obviously it’s just us ‘plebs’ that misinterpret posts and prejudice is a VERY strong word to use - pot and kettle spring to mind! I know which poster I would want to teach my DGC. I despair for the children of the future with so many obstacles to manoeuvre especially reading SOME of the posts on here.

MaizieD Wed 12-Aug-20 16:23:32

Ellianne

Don't worry cupcake. The laugh's on me.

You certainly missed out on some comprehension skills teaching somewhere in your education. * Maizie* certainly missed out on some grammatical skills' teaching in HER own education. Correct me if I'm wrong, but she didn't apply the apostrophe to show possession in her haste to criticise me. It is the teaching OF comprehension skills she was trying to say.

Grammar not a terribly strong point either, Ellieanne?

'Skills' in that sentence was the plural of 'skill'. Putting an 'of' in front of it doesn't make it possessive...

Lucca Wed 12-Aug-20 16:39:25

cupcake1

Ellianne touché grin! gillybob flowers for addressing the vitriol on here, it’s a disgrace. Obviously it’s just us ‘plebs’ that misinterpret posts and prejudice is a VERY strong word to use - pot and kettle spring to mind! I know which poster I would want to teach my DGC. I despair for the children of the future with so many obstacles to manoeuvre especially reading SOME of the posts on here.

If you’re referring to my post, would you not say that “teachers are the biggest snowflakes” is prejudiced ?
Also please note my last sentence.
I was actually attempting to pour a bit of oil on troubled waters..... oh well.

Ellianne Wed 12-Aug-20 16:58:26

That's fine Maizie, I said I was happy to be corrected if you meant something different. Could have been in a more pleasant, jovial manner though.
Nevermind, I'm actually even more happy to win the favourite teacher award!

paddyanne Wed 12-Aug-20 18:11:59

My GC went back today ,I have one here with me now and she tells me her teacher had masks on all day,that she changed them through the day and only took it off when she was at the far end of the classroom away from the children who were there.Only half a class today and tomorrow and all back together on Friday.
No one can take pencils or crayons or notebooks etc in they are all provided in seperate trays for the children.Handwashing first then hand sanitiser as they entered the classroom.Marking on floor for one way system.

She seems comfortable with it all and although its not how it was it will quickly become "normal" she's 10 .my daughter tells me her two had a fab day and no issues at all .

maddyone Wed 12-Aug-20 19:09:18

paddyanne, I’m really pleased to hear that your grandchildren have gone back to school, that there were safety procedures in place, and that your granddaughter had a lovely day. Our children need to go back to school, and I feel pretty certain that the vast majority, if not all, teachers want to be able to get on with the job they love. Safety procedures in place though obviously. And clearly if teachers wish to wear masks then they should be able to, and those schools which have coerced teachers to sign a document saying they will not wear a mask, are in my humble opinion, unprofessional and completely out of order. Could it be challenged legally I wonder?

paddyanne Wed 12-Aug-20 19:20:07

the most important thing is NO HOMEWORK for the forseeable future .She's up in the clouds about that ...lol

maddyone Wed 12-Aug-20 19:24:36

Bless her, so nice to hear about a happy child back at school.

Callistemon Wed 12-Aug-20 19:31:20

That's lovely paddyanne
They've done enough work at home!

My DGD can't wait to go back although the return has been staggered and one has an extra fortnight off which she's not too happy about.

lemongrove Wed 12-Aug-20 19:46:44

Ellianne

You're right gillybob I couldn't care less what writing or comprehension skills anyone has on here. Our brains all work differently, we just want to Express ourselves. Thank you for pointing out how unnecessary the criticism was.

It certainly was unnecessary Elliane but the kind of posts criticising the grammer of other posters in a sneery way is practised on GN with depressing regularity.

lemongrove Wed 12-Aug-20 19:47:53

Grammar.....before it’s pointed out.?