Gransnet forums

Education

The benefits of lifelong learning

(42 Posts)
LadyHonoriaDedlock Wed 04-Nov-20 20:09:35

Is anybody else here enjoying higher education in their retirement years?

At 66 I'm doing a Masters degree, an MLitt in Film and Television Studies at Glasgow University. Apart from the stress of getting postgrad level assessments in by the deadline, and deadlines come thick and fast, I'm really enjoying it even if nearly all the teaching is conducted by Zoom.

I thought I'd feel left out, being much older than everybody else. All of my classmates are young women in their 20s, except for the one who's a young man in his twenties, but they've all accepted me into the circle. I'd say they were surrogate grandchildren, but it's not that kind of relationship. They welcome me in as one of them and the subject of age never comes up except when I tell them of bygone films and TV shows, especially all the black-and-white films that were staples of Saturday night and Sunday afternoons fifty years ago. Most of those films are now forgotten, which is a great shame.

Shandy57 Tue 12-Jul-22 21:02:20

I had a look at our local college courses today, starting in September - unfortunately out of budget.

Zonne Tue 12-Jul-22 20:49:48

I have been planning to start a PhD next year, but am now seriously considering doing another BA in a totally new to me subject.

Either way, it will be part-time, partly because of the fees, and partly because I have a number of other things I don’t want to give up.

Callistemon21 Tue 12-Jul-22 20:27:56

FannyCornforth

Reported
This thread is a spam magnet

?

I haven't learnt much Welsh either.

Cs783 Tue 12-Jul-22 20:17:48

I’m a huge fan (ex-student and ex- employee) of the Open University. Those French study schools in Caen were amazing weren’t they annodomini? I learnt so much.

Musicgirl hope you do study English language (linguistics) modules with the OU as I’m sure your love of the subject will be rewarded.

I’ve done a lot of free online courses. I think the most life enhancing has been the very popular Harvard one run by Dr Laurie Santos on the science of well being. Currently I’m bashing through beginner’s Italian with DuoLingo - I’m surprised how much it feels like a game ?

LOUISA1523 Tue 12-Jul-22 19:58:44

I am 57 and done with academic learning.....I have driend who are embarking on PhDs but this is not for me .....my last qualification gained was a research based public health Masters in 2014 ....I have only ever studied thru work ( nhs) so been paid to achieve which meant more pressure to achieve which took any enjoyment away.... now I am semi retired I want to learn to crochet and improve my knitting skills and although I already do soft furnishings I would like to get more proficient at dress making....so lots of learning but just no more exams or essays

Ailidh Tue 12-Jul-22 19:51:00

I am learning Gaelic with duolingo. It is, technically, the language of my forebears, distantly, but I'm doing it for brain stimulation, and because I love learning languages.

Really enjoying it. Thinking of planning my itinerary in London next year around "Lunnainn Gàidhlig/Gaelic London" - I always give myself a theme for my London trips, love them!!

Musicgirl Tue 12-Jul-22 19:43:58

I am very interested in studying for an Open University degree in retirement. I would like to study linguistics in relation to English for no other reason than I find the subject fascinating. Although I loved being young and taking my music degree, it was necessary for my future career, too. Second time around, it would be wonderful to do something purely for its own sake.

annodomini Tue 12-Jul-22 19:34:08

I'd always regretted not taking French as part of my degree, so, when the OU started its very first French course, I applied immediately and loved the three years - including two summer schools in Caen) it took to complete the course. I've since done a creative writing course in which I somehow got a distinction, though I've never yet managed to get anything published. I started an evening course in Italian locally. The tutor was Italian but not a teacher. I'd just done a course in TESOL and was used to teaching English in English and found it frustrating that he tried to teach Italian in English. For the first time in my life, I gave up!

M0nica Tue 12-Jul-22 18:33:26

I did an MA in Landscape Archaeology after I retired. I still want to do aa PhD.

I am always doing extra mural courses at our local university and I am currently studying the list of courses for this autumn.

FannyCornforth Tue 12-Jul-22 10:41:31

Reported
This thread is a spam magnet

coloradofinadvice Tue 12-Jul-22 10:37:11

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

MathildeBuxton Fri 20-May-22 11:36:05

kircubbin2000 Thu 15-Apr-21 15:46:22

I feel a bit like my youngest grandson. When he heard he was going back to school he said Why? I 've been and know everything now!

Redhead56 Thu 15-Apr-21 15:07:51

I went to University at forty have BA political science. Diplomas in gemmology and art and jewellery design in my fifties. Since then have done numerous on line courses. I had Welsh lessons at the little Welsh chapel a few miles away. Also on line Duolingo and Say something in Welsh. I gave it up when my twin grandchildren were born. Since then after alot of baby care I am back on line doing any course I can. I am addicted to studying I don't think I will stop. It's kept me sane during this pandemic.

Lacana Thu 15-Apr-21 13:31:30

Churilov Thu 15-Apr-21 09:11:27

Grandmabatty Mon 30-Nov-20 14:54:08

All my working life I tried to learn something, usually languages. I have a working knowledge of French, German, Italian, Latin and Russian with a little modern Greek. Therefore when I retired I decided to work on painting and drawing as I loved those when much younger. I have no desire to put myself through exams anymore.

Lucca Fri 06-Nov-20 22:28:21

Chewbacca

I was doing reasonably well with my U3A Italian For Beginners course. Until the teacher died 6 weeks into the course and was never replaced.

Che peccato Chewbacca

bonfirebirthday Fri 06-Nov-20 20:18:28

I went to university in my aged 42 and obtained a BA and Masters degree, it was great fun. In lockdown number 1, I stumbled across the Future Learn website. There are hundreds of educational courses from which to choose, most of them run by well known universities. The site is well worth a look.

Chewbacca Wed 04-Nov-20 23:54:22

I was doing reasonably well with my U3A Italian For Beginners course. Until the teacher died 6 weeks into the course and was never replaced.

Marydoll Wed 04-Nov-20 23:28:20

I always tried to teach children languages in an interactive way, where possible: using games, drama, craft, songs, quizzes, matching games, etc.
Even the boring grammar parts were often done using computer programs, as team games or activities on the interactive white board. However, it was much more difficult to prepare, than just using boring textbooks.

Marydoll Wed 04-Nov-20 23:12:44

So am I, that's why my DH is on day 1850 and I am on day zéro, null, nulla, cero etc, etc!

Callistemon Wed 04-Nov-20 23:05:13

Duolingo is all well and good if you are disciplined.

I am very undisciplined.
I'm better when I have my back to the wall and a deadline.

Lucca Wed 04-Nov-20 22:58:02

I had been teaching quite an advanced adult class before March but we all agreed zoom was not for us. A shame as we had a lot of funA friend is however continuing teaching via zoo and says it takes twice as long to plan his lessons.

Lucca Wed 04-Nov-20 22:55:53

I think if you fancy zoom classes it is possible, but I don’t really want that. you’re right marydoll duolingo is a good substitute.