Gransnet forums

Education

Any ideas for times table practice via video?

(6 Posts)
MamaCaz Fri 08-Jan-21 18:35:41

Thanks for all your suggestions. Really helpful ☺

Chardy Fri 08-Jan-21 18:35:07

The best tables activity I ever used
www.tarquingroup.com/tables-cubes-make-these-two-sets-of-special-cubes-and-use-them-for-tables-practice.html

The cubes need cutting out and sticking, then you have to turn the cubes to the right face, and lay out the times table you're practising

Maybe buy 2 books, one for you and one for them. Then you can race each other on. (Set up a league table? Or stopwatch time each DGC to see if they can beat their personal best)

You'll use them over and over

trisher Fri 08-Jan-21 18:11:30

Give them 3 numbers then 5 mins to write down all the times table facts using them e.g 3,7,5= 3x7=21, 3x5=15, 7x5=35 and the reverse 3 like 7x3=. If they can manage it shorten the time. If they can't give them longer and let them use a tables list. Then give them a number eg 36 and ask for all the table facts that have 36 as the answer. Same process for timing.

Galaxy Fri 08-Jan-21 18:10:52

You could use the kahoot app to set up a quiz, then they can compete against each other or individually if that would lead to rows. Mathletics has some lovely games for that age.

EllanVannin Fri 08-Jan-21 18:05:23

If you google Times Table Games for 7 to 11, maybe that's something that can help ?

MamaCaz Fri 08-Jan-21 17:58:54

My DS and DiL are trying to work from home but now have their two children, age 8 and 9, at home all day again.

They are keen for me to help out again, via Facetime, in occupying/educating my DgC a few times a week, and obviously I want to do what I can.

I am told that one of the things that needs to be practised is times tables.
I don't suppose any of you can think of games or other ways in which I can do this remotely, apart from reciting and quick-fire answering?

If it wasn't via internet, I can think of several 'fun' things I could do, but as it is, I am struggling for ideas. ?