Gransnet forums

Education

GS choosing his options for GCSEs

(4 Posts)
Santana Mon 01-Mar-21 12:41:34

My GS readily admits that he hates secondary school, and he is coming to the point where he needs to choose his options for year 10. He has mild to medium dyslexia so takes him a while to untangle the words and maths symbols.
Also has hypermobility which means that his joints are overly flexible and this affects his handwriting. His has an SEN plan in place, or whatever they call it, but this only works if the teachers actually read it. My DD is constantly in communication with the school over this, and they do seem to take notice these days. Probably ever since he was made to play rugby and hurt his shoulder when the plan said 'no contact sports'
Back to the options. He is going to struggle, so DD suggested geography might suit him better than history as more coursework rather than 100% exam. He is adamant that he wants to do history, which is ok as up to him in the end.
However, the reason he dislikes geography is that the teacher ripped 3 pages out of his exercise book in front of the whole class because his writing was so bad.
This isn't a recent occurrence, so he has been stewing over this for a while.
I'm just so cross, I could give the teacher a good shake!
Nothing to be done, but I need to let off steam on GN.
GS is a lovely lad, and now he is 14 and 6ft tall, he is working with my DH on building his muscles around his joints to lessen the effect of the hypermobility.
SENCO also says he will be allowed an I pad for exams.
Such a shame about the geography as it includes many of the environmental issues that interest him, but thoughtless teacher has done so much damage.

FannyCornforth Mon 01-Mar-21 12:45:57

Hello. He probably wouldn't have the same geography teacher next year. Would that encourage him to persevere with it?
I'm sure that his form tutor or head of year will try to persuade him to pick the subjects which engage and interest him.
Perhaps he could talk to them?

Santana Mon 01-Mar-21 13:46:54

I did wonder whether it would be a different teacher next year. DD is having a Skype parents evening shortly, so a good opportunity to ask some questions, and they have until the end of March to decide options. The year head seems very good, so hopefully things can be discussed.

Tangerine Mon 01-Mar-21 15:02:43

If your daughter raised this particular issue with the school, perhaps he could be placed with a different teacher for GCSE Geography.

Secondary schools usually have more than one teacher per subject so I wouldn't think this would be too hard for the school to arrange and it might happen naturally anyway without any intervention.

This issue ought, I feel, to be raised with the school whether or not your GS takes Geography.