Gransnet forums

Education

Anyone worked for the Open University?

(7 Posts)
GagaJo Sun 14-Mar-21 19:58:14

I am thinking about work, post lockdown. I think Covid is going to be an ongoing problem, and I am not sure I want to work in schools anymore.

I'm wondering about the OU. I'm good at self motivation and have a great work ethic, so it might suit me, but I know very little about it.

Treebee Sun 14-Mar-21 21:10:07

I live in MK and know many people who work or have worked at the OU. No one has a bad thing to say about it so give it a go.
But your post is ambiguous; are you thinking of doing a course or working there?

M0nica Sun 14-Mar-21 21:23:02

Here is the link to their vacancies list www.open.ac.uk/about/employment/vacancies

GagaJo Sun 14-Mar-21 23:10:16

Yes, work Treebee. I think I am burned out with school based education. I have a good job right now, but I think covid has just been too much for me, emotionally. I think a new focus is what I need.

I've been through the list MOnica, the only thing of any slight interest is the Lecturer in Applied Linguistics and English Language but it's for MA teaching and the requirement is a PhD. I was thinking more of some part time undergraduate lecturing.

I'm going to keep an eye on the vacancy page. One of the things I noted was that they don't have a top age range, which sounds good. Much as I want to step down a bit, I can't imagine life with no work at all.

BigBertha1 Mon 15-Mar-21 07:04:30

I loved my time as an Ass Lecturer with the OU a fantastic experience. I was offered a full time position which I would have loved but I would have had to move and it was not possible at that time. Id do it again if they would have me and I had the strength.

Haost1964 Tue 20-Apr-21 07:49:48

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

FannyCornforth Tue 20-Apr-21 08:23:05

Reported above post