Gransnet forums

Education

Ofsted tell schools to keep exam years pupils in school

(21 Posts)
Chardy Fri 04-Jun-21 16:46:42

www.theguardian.com/education/2021/jun/03/schools-should-not-send-exam-year-pupils-home-early-says-ofsted-head
It is evidence that those in charge of Ofsted have little understanding of the pressure teachers are under. GCSE teachers have had to set several exams, mark and moderate them (moderation is very stressful and time-consuming). (The exam boards are still being paid per entry.) And then grade the pupils, and justify those grades.

trisher Fri 04-Jun-21 16:42:50

I'm just picturing lots of OFsted inspectors trying to herd crowds of teenagers back into schools. Think I'd pay money to see that!

grannysyb Fri 04-Jun-21 12:22:00

My DGD1 (year13) has finished her exams and her school carry on with a "summer school," but this is a private school.

GrannySomerset Fri 04-Jun-21 10:44:09

I don’t expect much from the Department for Education but this is beyond expectation. Year 13 pupils would only be in school for leaving events and DGD1 has got herself a couple of part time jobs starting next week. She only goes back for a leavers’ concert. Year 11 pupils would normally be starting on some sixth form preparation but I wonder how staff can manage this with exam assessments and the probable repercussions to deal with.

I do sometimes think that nobody in the Department has ever worked in a school.

MawBe Fri 04-Jun-21 10:30:07

So more than a tad at variance with the inferences one might draw from the current Covid stats.
Also from The Guardian:

The Delta Covid-19 variant has begun spreading in schools and colleges throughout England, it has been revealed, after Public Health England published new data, demanded by teachers and staff unions, on outbreaks of the variant

The new data, covering 26 April to 30 May, showed the number of Delta variant infections in schools or other educational settings rising rapidly throughout the period, with a total of 140 incidents.

Prof Christina Pagel, director of University College London’s clinical operational research unit, said the figures were evidence that schools were now “a major source” of transmission, after the government last month dropped its requirement for secondary school pupils to wear masks in classrooms

midgey Fri 04-Jun-21 10:25:04

What a mess this government has/is making of children’s lives. An abysmal amount of money is proposed while Johnson is busy telling us how important education is to him.

MawBe Fri 04-Jun-21 10:25:02

Good luck with that!

Peasblossom Fri 04-Jun-21 10:23:39

Thanks tanith?

tanith Fri 04-Jun-21 10:06:01

Sorry that was supposed to link to the page in the guardian its there somewhere

tanith Fri 04-Jun-21 10:04:16

www.theguardian.com/

theworriedwell Fri 04-Jun-21 10:01:09

GS finished school week before half term, he has just started summer job (plenty here at the seaside - practically every pub, restaurant, shop has a notice out) he has officially left his school and going to 6th form somewhere else so not sure how they would get him back.

I think he is going to learn some important life lessons over the next 3 months that will be more valuable in the future, he is only doing one subject at A level that he did at GCSE.

Peasblossom Fri 04-Jun-21 09:40:41

Does anyone have a link? I’ve tried Googling under several different words/sentences like Ofsted pupils stay in school, but can’t find a report of the guidance they’ve issued.

tanith Fri 04-Jun-21 09:32:20

My GD has disposed of her uniform for a start as have some friends.

tanith Fri 04-Jun-21 09:31:08

Like they are going to get kids who’ve ‘left’ school to go back it’s not going to happen.

trisher Fri 04-Jun-21 09:18:31

Sorry that should be OFsted not D of E (although both are abysmal!)

trisher Fri 04-Jun-21 09:17:24

My GS says he has finished. He has a couple of science practicals he has to do, but he isn't planning on going back full time. I asked about a prom and they had a celebration picnic to mark the end of their schooling.
It sounds like typical D of E way behind what is really happening.

Galaxy Fri 04-Jun-21 09:13:39

And are they going to call back the students in my area. That will go down wellgrin

Peasblossom Fri 04-Jun-21 09:12:28

Just wondering, does Ofsted have the authority to issue this directive?
Is it in their remit?

They were set up to monitor standards in education, not control how it is delivered. Surely that’s for the Department of Education.

Galaxy Fri 04-Jun-21 09:07:32

Too late for Ofsted to decide that certainly in this area the GCSE students have already left.

Septimia Fri 04-Jun-21 08:54:57

We stayed in school after O Levels and did taster classes in the subjects we were thinking of doing for A Level. Obviously, though, this had been planned well in advance and the teachers didn't have those exams to mark (just the school's internal ones for all the other year groups).

Franbern Fri 04-Jun-21 08:50:29

Amazing! Ofsted wait until half term break is nearly over to 'tell' schools that all year 11 & 13 pupils must be kept 'in achool'!!. No advice as to how the already vastly over stretched teachers are to deal with these pupils.
Those these teachers are, therefore, going to be expected to continue with 'missed parts' off the syllabus' with these pupils, mark all the A level & GCSE paoers and moderate them, run introductory days for the pupils coming up into those years, all social distancing (of course.
Notice that exam boards are still getting their full wack in fees, but now not paying exam markers or moderators (teachers are just having to do this vast extra work for free).
I can just imagine how those A & GCSE pupils are going to be so involved in returning to their classes when most have already started to relax a little and make their arrangements for the next few weeks. Many A level.students already starting jobs.
How incompetent can Ofsted get?
E minus from me for this, their latest farce