Gransnet forums

Education

Year 6 and 11 Induction Days and Proms all cancelled

(98 Posts)
Franbern Tue 22-Jun-21 08:52:29

Once again, it is children and our young people who are being hit with over-zealous rules.
Whilst crowds can all gather at footie matches and at Ascot, our 11-year olds are being denied their induction days at their new secondary schools AND their primary school leaver week away.
Similar for the 16 year olds, many of them moving to different schools, etc following their GCSE's.

Seems daft that these cannot go ahead, particularly as these children are mixing within their classes and year groups all of the time. So, why cannot they go for an Induction Day with each other - even if the new schools did not do it all on the one day, but had them from each school separately.

Aa for the Proms being cancelled, well I do not like the way that these (whwt used tobe Leavers Disco) have been Americanised, but surely, some sort of 'Do' should not be off the cards.

These youngsters, In my opionion, have been the ones most neglected (by the State), and ignored throughout the whole of this Pandemic - they are our future, yet have been just brushed aside, schooling stopped, visiting friends and families stopped, birthday celebrations stopped, exams mucked around with (on-0.off-on-off), induction days stopped, leaving school parties cancelled, etc. etc.

MerylStreep Tue 22-Jun-21 12:55:18

Teacheranne
I was all prepared to follow the rules back in March 2020 in respect of not seeing my daughter and grandchildren.
But when Professor Neil Ferguson ( he who worked out that if we didn’t 500,000+ would die.
But what he didn’t say at the time was: this only applies to you plebs. My married lover can still come to my place for some afternoon jiggy jiggy.
When I read what he had done I said: well, Mr Ferguson, you can go and f*&k yourself. Seeing my children is just as important ( more so) than your afternoon jiggy jiggy so that’s what I’m doing and continued to do so.

Ellianne Tue 22-Jun-21 13:04:00

In a 3 form entry school, how do you choose which 30 parents can attend? We did think about having class sports days, but that would need 21 days of guaranteed fine weather.
I'm not quite sure why you say this adaunus. As I read it, schools can have multiple groups of 30, not just one group, so theoretically one parent per child could attend.

Kali2 Tue 22-Jun-21 13:18:00

Totally unfair- grandchildren have had such a limited life for over a year. The dance show and musical instrument concerts were without parents recently and shown on the school website. All end of year celebrations cancelled. They have been tested twice a week at school, and not been able to join in clubs, in and out of school. Then they see the news about football fans arriving in droves, without a care in the world. My teenage grandchildren are really angry about this, and dismayed.

For the Proms, I'd say they are just another American import which we should ditch. The pressure it puts on parents to provide clothes they cannot afford- and the one upmanship- is just dreadful. Keep Proms for end of Bachelor courses! They don't belong at the nursery or primary school- never mind in secondary and 6th Form.

Ellianne Tue 22-Jun-21 13:20:58

So how does it work with all these day summer camps being advertised where random children and parents will all be mixing, not even from the same school let alone the same bubble?

Lucca Tue 22-Jun-21 13:28:46

Ellianne

So how does it work with all these day summer camps being advertised where random children and parents will all be mixing, not even from the same school let alone the same bubble?

I guess that will be after the next release date.

Ellianne Tue 22-Jun-21 13:29:33

Good thinking Lucca. Fingers crossed.

annodomini Tue 22-Jun-21 13:31:11

I have been sent a photo of GS (almost 16) well dressed (in a suit!) ready for a sixth form 'taster' day and he is going to two others next week. So some schools/colleges must be organising events carefully. His last week at school was a wash-out because one boy had tested positive and the whole of Y11 had to isolate. But the Head held a Y11 assembly the following week. Now two GSs - cousins - have lost out on proms and other activities. sad, and my DGD has had to leave 6th form without a fanfare, but in floods of tears!

Ellianne Tue 22-Jun-21 13:31:12

In that case, schools should shift their sports days, concerts, picnics and proms to July 19th. When do they break up?

Ellianne Tue 22-Jun-21 13:33:46

23rd July is end of term so no excuse not yo have a few events laid on in that final week. Let the poor school children have some fun with spectators and parents invited.

Lucca Tue 22-Jun-21 13:36:36

Ellianne

23rd July is end of term so no excuse not yo have a few events laid on in that final week. Let the poor school children have some fun with spectators and parents invited.

Ellianne do please try to be aware of how difficult that is in a school of 2000 students !

Lucca Tue 22-Jun-21 13:39:18

Not all events have been cancelled.i had a quick look at the upcoming events at my old school. Year 13 leavers ball, year 11 leavers ball, sports days, inductions days all still listed.

Ellianne Tue 22-Jun-21 13:55:27

Ellianne do please try to be aware of how difficult that is in a school of 2000 students.

Maybe for big seconadaries, but for schools with younget pupils aged up to 11 years it should be no problem. In my experience this is the age group which needs to let off physical (puppy) steam most at the end of the academic year.

M0nica Tue 22-Jun-21 14:26:33

I think all proms should be stopped altogether. It is an event that highlights all the inequalitites of children from those parents stupid enough to spend a fortune on hugely expensive dresses and stretched limousines to those who cannot afford the expensive trappings and are visibly Cinderella, and those who cannot afford to go full stop.

Any leaving events should be inclusive of all children leaving, at any age.

Alizarin Tue 22-Jun-21 14:43:27

My 11 year old grandson had his induction day last week. In Cornwall.

Callistemon Tue 22-Jun-21 14:48:12

M0nica

I think all proms should be stopped altogether. It is an event that highlights all the inequalitites of children from those parents stupid enough to spend a fortune on hugely expensive dresses and stretched limousines to those who cannot afford the expensive trappings and are visibly Cinderella, and those who cannot afford to go full stop.

Any leaving events should be inclusive of all children leaving, at any age.

I agree M0nica.

Callistemon Tue 22-Jun-21 14:50:48

Here's how one school said farewell to their Y11 and Y13 leavers:
www.hitc.com/en-gb/2021/06/22/the-greatest-showman-tiktok/

Nannatwiglet Tue 22-Jun-21 15:01:35

Has anyone considered numerous 4 year old children due to start school in September…?
For many it will be the very first time they set foot in “Big School” without a preliminary visit to see their prospective classroom & teacher.
In times past, schools invited parents &new children into school before the summer term ended, to get them used to being in a “strange large place” away from their familiar home/childminder or nursery.

Teacheranne Tue 22-Jun-21 15:16:04

Chardy

Those gathering for UK football matches have had to show evidence of negative COVID results in previous 24 hours or evidence of double vaccination.

In order to watch Manchester City at Wembley and in Portugal, my brother had to have proof of a negative PCR test in order to obtain his ticket. Having had both vaccinations was not a requirement, only the test.

AGAA4 Tue 22-Jun-21 15:31:20

All young people from nursery age through to university students have had a raw deal throughout this pandemic.

Just as life is beginning it is put on hold for them. Some of the restrictions now are senseless.
My 14 year old grandson has been isolating for ten days as one of his class tested positive. Even though he has had 2 negative lateral flow tests he can't attend school or go on a much looked forward to weekend away.

Ellianne Tue 22-Jun-21 15:39:21

I agree, AGAA4*, it has been disruption after disruption for school children of all ages. Lockdowns, exam cancellations, testing, isolation, limited interaction etc. Especially the younger ones will start to believe that this is how the world really is and that certainly isn't a positive outlook on life.

Mollygo Tue 22-Jun-21 16:33:56

Nannatwiglet

Has anyone considered numerous 4 year old children due to start school in September…?
For many it will be the very first time they set foot in “Big School” without a preliminary visit to see their prospective classroom & teacher.
In times past, schools invited parents &new children into school before the summer term ended, to get them used to being in a “strange large place” away from their familiar home/childminder or nursery.

Nannatwiglet as the EYFS link governor at a local primary, I was concerned about this last year too.
However, the staff had done wonders with contact like Zoom meetings, virtual visits and video clips on the school website. When I enquired how things had gone the staff and parents said the new intake settled in very well. Evidently they’re already doing the same again this year.

maddyone Tue 22-Jun-21 18:41:27

Ellianne

I agree, AGAA4*, it has been disruption after disruption for school children of all ages. Lockdowns, exam cancellations, testing, isolation, limited interaction etc. Especially the younger ones will start to believe that this is how the world really is and that certainly isn't a positive outlook on life.

I absolutely agree with this, and I have maintained all through the pandemic that children and young people are the ones paying an extremely high price for the rest of us.

Nannatwiglet Tue 22-Jun-21 18:55:35

Thanks Mollygo for that information.

Let’s hope all goes smoothly for thisyear’s September intake!

Gwyneth Tue 22-Jun-21 18:55:56

Has the government given instructions that these induction days etc are cancelled or was it left to the choice of individual schools? Also in my area the summer holidays are now seven weeks instead of six. Seems crazy considering the students have already lost so much teaching time. In addition, why have year 11 been allowed to finish school well before the end of term when no exams have been done. Surely this is an opportunity for those going into year 12 to have some ‘catch up’ classes.

Newquay Tue 22-Jun-21 19:14:48

Totally agree-let’s hope this is the death of those daft American proms.
Generally speaking most children are quite resilient.
In my day (!) when I started girls Grammar School-The only one to pass the 11 plus- I was told to go and wait on the corner of the square and see if I could see anyone else who looked like it was her first day. . . So I did and we walked in together.