Gransnet forums

Education

Head teacher kills herself over OFSTED

(243 Posts)
Mollygo Fri 17-Mar-23 13:43:30

Exactly that really. It was in the news today.

NotSpaghetti Fri 17-Mar-23 17:35:35

eazybee

I feel desperately sorry for this poor woman.
I think I have experienced about five or six Ofsted inspections, and the quality of the inspectors was variable, to say the least.
None of them were a patch on the HMIs, (Her Majesty's Inspectors) who previously conducted Inspections.

My friend (a headteacher) said that too.
And my neighbour, a long time headteacher of a huge secondary said the last two inspections were by very inexperienced inspectors.
One actually told him so.

I'm not blaming the inspectors but I agree that you don't need to have any previous mental health problems to be pushed over by circumstances.
Let's not make assumptions about this poor head.

Violet is right - A person had a horrible experience, just accept it. Sometimes it happens and this lady deserves better and so do her family.

Galaxy Fri 17-Mar-23 17:39:02

I think we also need to remember that there will be a real person behind the term 'Ofsted inspector'.

crazyH Fri 17-Mar-23 18:10:19

Tragic 😥

Susan56 Fri 17-Mar-23 18:25:51

Kate1949 my daughter is in the same position as your daughter.We are hoping and praying she can find a new job.The stress is unbelievable.We are all supporting her and doing our best to keep her positive.
My heart goes out to the family of the lady who killed herself.

Dickens Fri 17-Mar-23 18:29:40

JaneJudge

Lots of people commit suicide because of pressure from work. Poor lady and her family.

I had a work colleague who did.

He was always over anxious about his performance at work - in a culture that relied heavily on ticking those boxes... was always apologetic when he spoke to anyone as if he thought he was disturbing them.

Then he became ill with a back problem which required surgery - and time off work. He was so worried about the amount of time he'd have to take off and how this would affect his performance, he couldn't handle it.

I got the call from another colleague. Truly sad, devastating for his family.

My heart goes out to this poor woman and her family.

Glorianny Fri 17-Mar-23 18:30:30

Some time ago there was a government initiative to help school children deal with mental health issues. Perhaps it is time there was a proper support network for teachers. They deal with society's problems, educate and care for children, and try to maintain standards. There should be somewhere they can turn when they are in trouble.
So sad.

Callistemon21 Fri 17-Mar-23 18:32:49

How dreadful, poor woman and her poor family.

I remember how stressed my friend got when OFSTED inspections were due and remember her opinion of some of the inspectors whom she had taught alongside previously.

Yammy Fri 17-Mar-23 18:44:48

Exactly the HMI were much more professional you did not know when they were coming so you accepted the criticism . This poor lady has probably been preparing for months if not years. Some are like the Gastapo jumped up know-alls who have never taught. One of our Dinner ladies got a job as one.
Condolences to her family and I hope something is done about it. Men suffer just the same I know one who ended up on Beta blockers.

GagaJo Fri 17-Mar-23 22:29:36

I don't think most people realise the trauma Ofsted cause to school staff. I was having for cancer treatment on one occasion they came into my school and I was glad because it meant I was spared. Better cancer than Ofsted.

I can quite believe a head would commit suicide over it. Poor woman.

Mollygo Fri 17-Mar-23 23:01:22

DD rang me in the way home from the head’s conference she was at today. The subject obviously came under discussion even though it wasn’t on the agenda. The support idea mentioned by Glorianny was raised as a definite need - there needs to be someone who can support heads.

Kate1949 Fri 17-Mar-23 23:26:02

Susan56 I hope your daughter finds a new job soon. Our daughter is such an upbeat, positive, caring person but I hate to think what this job is doing to her.

pieinthesky Sat 18-Mar-23 00:10:39

Unless someone has worked in a school during an Ofsted inspection they can have no idea of how much stress it causes.Reading of a couple of criticisms that the Ofsted Inspectors made about a child doing the “flossing dance” in the playground being sexualisation of children leads me to wonder if they have ever set foot in a school before.I don’t think that there was any question of the Inspection being carried out because of a complaint against the school as someone has suggested but because the ruling about schools that had previously been judged to be “Outstanding” has changed. This lady had actually attended the school as a child and returned as an adult and had been Deputy Headteacher and then Headteacher so it had been a very large part of her life. It is possible that she now faced having to leave the school due to the Inadequate verdict. Terribly sad and a lesson to be learnt by Ofsted to realise that teachers and headteachers are people doing an extremely difficult job in today’s world dealing with not only teaching but also the social problems that so many families have. A real tragedy.

Nannagarra Sat 18-Mar-23 00:36:22

Guesswhat

Apart from bereavements I’d say that OFSTED inspections were the most stressful events I’ve ever experienced.

That poor woman.

👏 👏 👏

FannyCornforth Sat 18-Mar-23 01:00:32

It isn’t the first time that this has happened.
I remember it happening before around 15 - 20 years ago.

Joseanne Sat 18-Mar-23 06:59:38

The "flossing dance" reason given is ridiculous. Forget that. The inspector I asked about this being the reason for the downgrade said most of his team wouldn't even have a clue what floss dancing is, is it to do with cleaning teeth?
Most of the concerns centered on the paperwork regarding Safeguarding procedures which weren't in place. Schools need to be safe ... DBS checks, fire regulations etc. There does need to be accountability. Where the OFSTED process falls down is that it is too punitive and this needs reforming, I agree.
I am NOT making light of this, as an ex Head I know exactly how stressful the experience is.

Galaxy Sat 18-Mar-23 07:23:19

Can you imagine what would have happened if the inspector had ignored the safeguarding concerns, in the report there is mention of issues between two children, we have just got snapshots from the Mail. I was inspected by Ofsted and its predecessors in childrens home management so I am not naive about the stress.
It's a terrible tragedy and will impact many people, obviously the priority are the family, but I worked at an organisation where the manager committed suicide and the impact on the entire team was felt for years.

Riverwalk Sat 18-Mar-23 07:23:54

Poor woman, it's so sad to think of the turmoil she must have been going through to come to that decision.

I remember some years' back a headteacher took her own life in I think the run-up to an inspection - the strain was obviously too much to bear.

Who'd be a teacher! Whenever people talk about big pensions, long holidays, etc I always ask well if it's so cushy why are there so many vacancies and teachers leaving in droves.

NotSpaghetti Sat 18-Mar-23 07:25:00

joseanne
most of his team wouldn't even have a clue what floss dancing is

Exactly 🙄

NotSpaghetti Sat 18-Mar-23 07:29:57

It's not an either-or situation though is it.

You can improve safeguarding and at the same time understand that the flossing dance is not necessarily a safeguarding matter (though of course it may be) - context is important too.

I haven't seen any photos BTW.

Marydoll Sat 18-Mar-23 07:43:06

Nannagarra

Guesswhat

Apart from bereavements I’d say that OFSTED inspections were the most stressful events I’ve ever experienced.

That poor woman.

👏 👏 👏

I felt exactly the same, during our Scottish HMI inspections.

It wasn't the inspectors, who stressed us, they were fair and professional, it was our HT, who put us under enormous pressure.

I was so upset to read about this poor lady, who had devoted her life to educating children.

Urmstongran Sat 18-Mar-23 07:46:10

Here’s Matt.

Good morning everyone from south Manchester where it’s damp but seems mild enough. I’ve just weighed myself and am joyous. I’ve lost 2sts in weight now (in a little over 6 months). I would be treating myself to a half bottle of Möet this evening to celebrate but we are off to Málaga this afternoon so I’ll buy one when we get home. This is a shorter holiday than planned at 12 days but we are both looking forward to spending time in our ‘happy place’.
😊

Hope Saturday is a pleasant day for us all. x

Urmstongran Sat 18-Mar-23 07:48:11

Bugger. Wrong thread - I’m really sorry!
I mustn’t be fully awake yet.
😮

Joseanne Sat 18-Mar-23 07:48:32

grin

Love the cartoon! Have a good trip!

BlueBelle Sat 18-Mar-23 07:48:58

Oppps Ums I think you ve popped into the wrong thread

BlueBelle Sat 18-Mar-23 07:50:20

Sorry Ums disregard my post your second one hadn’t shown up when I posted