Gransnet forums

Education

A level results

(12 Posts)
Nannylovesshopping Thu 17-Aug-23 09:28:37

Very proud nanny here, my lovely granddaughter got three A’s with one ⭐️ she worked so hard!

Mamie Thu 17-Aug-23 09:44:38

That is lovely news. Is she off to university?

Nannylovesshopping Thu 17-Aug-23 10:48:52

Thank you Mamie she is taking year out, and hopefully will get a place at Central St Martins studying Art History.

Grandma70s Thu 17-Aug-23 11:10:49

Congratulations to your granddaughter. We have nobody in the family taking these exams at the moment, but I still get nervous on results day, because I remember what it was like for me and my children.

fancythat Thu 17-Aug-23 11:49:12

A friend's daughter has had hers today.
We are reading between lines and dont think she got the exact results she was hoping for. But is still going to her 3rd choice university. Her 1st and 2nd choices only had a very small amount of places. She had already been told she didnt get into them.
I think she has mixed emotions.

Congratulations to your granddaughter.

Nannylovesshopping Thu 17-Aug-23 12:28:10

Thanks to you all for your good wishes, we are staying in London this week and have been trawling universities, blagging our way in, they have all been very welcoming considering we didn’t have appointments, she is bouncing along today to Central St Martins, without an appointment😳, knowing she has her grades she needs, obvs she gets her”get in there” attitude from her Nan🤣

Calendargirl Thu 17-Aug-23 16:06:17

fancythat

A friend's daughter has had hers today.
We are reading between lines and dont think she got the exact results she was hoping for. But is still going to her 3rd choice university. Her 1st and 2nd choices only had a very small amount of places. She had already been told she didnt get into them.
I think she has mixed emotions.

Congratulations to your granddaughter.

My GS got his results today, I think he was disappointed.

He wasn’t planning on university, preferring the idea of a job or apprenticeship.

Must say, I think back to his dad’s (our DS) results nearly 30 years ago. Far worse than GS’s.

But if he ends up doing as well as his dad, he’ll be ok.

Someone posted this morning, “Who in 10 years time gets asked their A level results? “ which is probably true.

Not to detract from how important today seems though, for so many 18 year olds.

BlueBelle Thu 17-Aug-23 18:21:31

So happy for you and your grandaughter Nanny and a lovely subject to study if only all these things had been around in our day well perhaps there were but not in my scope 😂
She’s done so well x

fancythat Thu 17-Aug-23 18:24:25

Quite.
A Level results are very far from the be all and end all for many.
She has got into the University. She will probably do well enough.

And people can do well enough going straight to a job or apprenticeship.

fancythat Thu 17-Aug-23 18:25:03

Post to Calendargirl

Theexwife Thu 17-Aug-23 18:26:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

foxie48 Thu 17-Aug-23 19:55:40

It's a few years ago but my daughter, having been predicted straight "A"s didn't get the grades she needed to get into med school. She took a year out, earned some money, did voluntary work in Africa and China and basically did a lot of growing up. Went on to a Russell group Uni, did a science degree, got a first and did grad entry medicine. She learnt a lot by failing and tbh I think it made her a better person because she realised just being "clever" wasn't enough to succeed. "A" levels are just a step on the road, what defines us is when that "step" becomes a "bump" and how we pick ourselves up if we trip. Lots of kids will be thrilled with their results, I feel for the ones who are disappointed, just let them know it's just a "bump"!