Gransnet forums

Estrangement

*SUPPORT* for all who are living with estrangement

(1001 Posts)
Namsnanny Mon 30-Sep-19 23:11:33

Hope I'm not posting out of turn, but I noticed the other thread had reached 1000!

Smileless2012 Sun 26-Apr-20 14:04:42

Well, another support thread has reached its 1000 max; better get the next one started. See you all theresmile

Smileless2012 Sun 26-Apr-20 14:03:14

I am aware of that thank you agnurse I've been training with weights for years but it's good advice to pass on to anyone who might not know.

Starblaze Sun 26-Apr-20 13:51:07

Glad everyone is finding time to exercise. I'm lucky to have a large garden but so worried about families in flats right now. I'm currently in the bath though listening to my husband do the insane amount of work to maintain said garden.

I do have some more happy news. My husband has quit smoking!

I've mentioned before that like me my husband had a bad childhood. His stepfather beat him and he was taken away. His mum could have had him back but she chose the stepfather instead.

So as you can imagine, another bad childhood which led to an addictive personality and a void to fill.

Guys I am so bloomin proud of him and my likely hood of starting again just dropped immensely. He is on day 5!

agnurse Sun 26-Apr-20 13:44:50

One caution, Smileless - I don't know if you knew this, but if you're doing weight training, you should not be exercising the same muscles two days in a row. Weight training causes tiny tears in the muscle, which are then repaired and the muscle increases in size. This is quite normal. But it takes a couple of days to do that. You can train with weights several days a week, just not the same muscles two days in a row. I used to follow an exercise regime that had me working out 5 days a week. Four days of weight training (one day chest, triceps, and squats, the next day back, biceps, and lunges; also had some abs work thrown in each day) and a day of cardio.

Smileless2012 Sun 26-Apr-20 13:25:15

There was on series of Super Vet when they did disclose the cost of some of the procedures and some ran into more than a couple of thousand.

I'd be quite happy to pay a large consultation just to see Noel; I think he's lovely 3nannygrin.

Our ES had a staffie, he was a really lovely dog, soft as brush and frightened of just about everything.

I'm using dumb bells and an exercise ball. I take a cod liver oil tablet daily and have done for years, something worth doing especially of your joints are achy from time to time.

You dinner sounds lovely; if not for the lock down I could certainly be tempted to forego tonight's BBQ and pop round to help you eat yoursgrin.

Have a good day and enjoy your walk x

3nanny6 Sun 26-Apr-20 13:06:06

All this beautiful weather has been a positive effect on the health getting out for a walk has felt even better than usual, the only cloud coming on the horizon is news that rain is on the way. At least the gardeners who have planted out bedding will welcome a little bit of rain.

Smleless2012 ; It is true pet insurance can be expensive and mine had a slightly higher premium because "Staffies are one of the breeds that carry enhanced risks" don't ask me why just a way for people to make more money. I always watched Supervet, Noel Fitzpatrick he is an amazing man with animals. I often wondered about the surgery fees as many of the operations were complicated. I never heard them discuss any payments due but I would imagine costs would have been high.

Smileless you are keeping a good fitness routine. Are you using the dumb bells or a stepper at all? I will not lie some days I just do a few stretches and some dumb-bell movements with my arms as I get stiffness and aches. Other days I do not bother but my walking is my main exercising and I like to do that.

Sounds like you terrace is busy with bar-be-cueing something I have not done this year yet. I have prepped my food for later and am having chicken and my roast. I am looking forward to it as have not been too hungry for a couple of days but my appetite is returning, and some crispy roast potatoes done in goose fat seems to have my name on.

Dog walk first and eat later.
All enjoy the rest of the day.

Smileless2012 Sun 26-Apr-20 09:56:36

Another beautiful morningsmile. We had a BBQ last night and are looking forward to another one this evening. I'm feeling rather pleased with myself having built my exercising up from 3 times a week to 5; today will be the 5th.

After a bit of tidying up and doing my exercises the roof terrace is calling me to sit outside and enjoy thesunshinewith a new bookgrin.

Hope you're all OK and can get some enjoyment out of the day.

PetitFromage Sun 26-Apr-20 06:49:57

Thanks nanny flowers

Smileless2012 Sat 25-Apr-20 16:39:12

That really annoys me 3nanny when it comes to pet insurance. They put the premiums up year on year because the pet is getting older, regardless of whether or not you've ever claimedangry.

Typical; insurance for all that time which was never needed, and when you cancel it, a large bill to contend with. I've been staggered at the cost of some of the treatments on the 'Super
Vet' program; thousands of pounds but who wouldn't move heaven and earth and find the money somehow, if they could.

There you go then Madgran you deserved thatwineand a slice of your no doubt delicious Victoria sponge for all the extra walking and cycling you're doingsmile.

3nanny6 Sat 25-Apr-20 15:22:23

Good Afternoon just a quick hello and hope you are all well.
Petit Fromage so pleased you are feeling better and are recovering with Mojitos. With the cat on the mend what more can you need? (Perhaps to come out of lockdown) but that's going to have to wait a while.

Smileless2012 your post Friday 16.10 pets are cheaper even when they have to go to the vets. I have spent so much at the vets since the dogs got a bit older probably because they were so healthy until they reached 7 years old and needed almost no treatments. The leg cruciate cost an arm and a leg
although I would have emptied the bank account to have her taken care of after all it's only money. I was so silly I had pet insurance for 7 and a half years and never made a claim and when the premiums rose sky high I thought I never use this so I am cancelling it. What goes and happens after about 4 months she had the knee trouble and with no insurance I
was stung with a big fat bill. My baby recovered so all was well. So happy I had some put aside for the GC which I dipped into but have replaced again now, lets hope no further big bills or the GC may lose a bit of money again.
"Estrangement may have it's uses" and I am only joking do not take me seriously ha ha ha.
Have a good day all.

Madgran77 Sat 25-Apr-20 14:54:45

Agree Smiless, not really bothered about my weight especially as my daily outing for exercise either cycling or walking has actually increased how much exercise I do. ?‍♀️?‍♀️

Starblaze Sat 25-Apr-20 13:34:34

I've always been skinny, now I've added 6 pounds! I'd still go for a slice of cake though and my husband is loving the extra curvage

Smileless2012 Sat 25-Apr-20 09:20:23

Madgrangrinnow is not the time to worry about our waistlines.

Anything that's a change, no matter how small is what we need at the moment to break the boredom of lock down. We dropped off two bags of mint imperials to a lady from our church yesterday. I'd asked her if there was anything she needed and she said she didn't need anything but was really missing her mints.

Yes they are cute. Poor Mr. S. can't eat his breakfast in peace as both dogs sit with tails wagging, watching every move he makes, waiting for him to finish and sit in one of the arm chairs in our kitchen diner to give them a cuddlesmile.

Madgran77 Sat 25-Apr-20 07:18:51

Haven't tried any takeaways yet since lockdown but we bought Sainsburys new "Just like Takeaway" Pizza and garlic bread last night. Not bad actually and a bit of a change.

My neighbour has a Cockapoo Smileless....I am not generally a dog lover but they are such cute dogs and great company for her as she lives on her own.

Another sunny day today so I'm planning to make a cake and sit in the garden with a glass of wine and a slice of Victoria Sandwich building up my Vitamin D as all the newspapers are telling us to do!! Trouble is, my waistline will be bigger than my small garden if I'm not careful!

Smileless2012 Fri 24-Apr-20 16:10:58

Oh PF, the number of times I've said the same thinggrin and pets are cheaper, even when they have to go to the vet!!

I'm glad you're feeling brighter and more positive. Sometimes these triggers catch us unaware don't they. Good news about you cat toosmile. Our cockapoo seems better already I just wish she wouldn't look at me with her big brown eyes after I've out her drops in making me feel guilty.

I'm glad you've found some takeaways in your area 3nanny. Who'd have thought they'd taste sooo good because we haven't had one for a few weeks and thought we'd have to wait until lock down was over before we could have them again.

Starblaze Fri 24-Apr-20 15:53:18

I'd have all my cats back that I've had over the years if I could, I'd be a mad cat lady. Without them I'm just mad.

PetitFromage Fri 24-Apr-20 15:33:26

Good afternoon everybody and thank you so much for your support and understanding following my latest post.

I was upset the other day because the second anniversary of my daughter's marriage was a trigger, but I am feeling much brighter and more positive today. I have been exercising and gardening, DH made a lovely pasta salad for lunch and now we are being very naughty and relaxing with Mojitos in the garden. Our cat also seems to be on the mend.

Sending love and best wishes to you all and of your lovely pets. It is wonderful to share your life with animals, isn't it? They always love you unconditionally, don't judge you, they understand you at the deepest level, and comfort you in dark days. Maybe I should have stuck to pets! grin

3nanny6 Fri 24-Apr-20 14:04:12

We were all getting our appetites ready for takeaways last night.

I found something on the internet that is helpful just type in
"Just Eat" and you can then get directed to something in your local area that is still cooking takeaways. There are a few in my area and most of them only have 10 pounds minimum order.
Although they are not opened to collect they are delivering
I even have one Chinese restaurant on there.

Smileless2012 how is the cockapoo? hopefully recovering.
The vets are all good. The vet I have used for the last 5 and half years is wonderful and when my eldest dog had knee cruciate surgery I was so grateful and pleased with them they treated her brilliantly, and when she went back to get the stitches out she went in wagging her tail and was licking everyone. One deputy vet she took to so much I told him she will not notice if I go he assured me that is not the case she still wants her mum, she is just a sociable girl and wants to say hello to all her friends.
A walk to local shops is necessary for some milk,
have a good day all.

Smileless2012 Fri 24-Apr-20 09:59:10

Sorry for wetting your appetites for take waysblush.

Our usual Chinese takeaway is closed 3nanny but I noticed there was one down the road so we gave it a try and very nice it is toosmile. They deliver which is even better.

We've heard that our favourite Indian for takeaways re opened this week so we'll be checking that out in a few days.

It seems we're quite lucky hugshelp as there are a couple of fish and chips places delivering too. TBH I'm surprised that more haven't stayed open. Maybe more will re open if the lock down goes on for longer than it was anticipated.

We're also lucky with our vets. They're not just seeing emergencies but anything that causes concern, all be it on a more restricted basis.

It may take a day or two for a non emergency appointment but at least we know they're available.

Well that time of the week is upon us once again for the trip to Aldihmm.

hugshelp Fri 24-Apr-20 00:12:55

It sounds like vets are generally going to be in demand, however they can be contacted or seen.
Ooh, now I want a takeaway, fish and chips would be lovely.
DH wanted corn beef and chips for his birthday dinner and luckily I could provide that.

Starblaze Thu 23-Apr-20 17:21:20

It cost me £40 to tell the vet what the problem is over three phone. Not that I begrudge it

Starblaze Thu 23-Apr-20 17:20:30

We had to go to the vet too, our cat has allergies and when he sheds his coat he goes into grooming overdrive. Gave himself abscess with all the scratching. Worrying times as our vets will only actually see emergencies. I was lucky I knew what the problem was. Taking 3 tablets a day, I am not his favourite person right now. Hope everyone's poorly pets feels better.

I really hope there is a takeaway open here, Daughters birthday soon and she is dying for Chinese food

Smileless2012 Thu 23-Apr-20 15:10:51

That's one thing I've always been thankful for 3nanny never having had a relationship with our GC and saw so little of the eldest prior to being cut off, not many photographs either.

There's some truth is the saying that what the eye doesn't see, the heart doesn't grieve for. We grieve of course but seeing pictures of GC as a constant reminder, must make it more difficult.

You do well to give your dog insulin twice a day, that can't be easy. My brother did that for his cat for a few years and I always admired him for being able to do that; not sure I could.

I'm sure you'll be able to get a vet to see her if you're worried and it might be an idea to out your mind at rest.

Enjoy your walksmile.

3nanny6 Thu 23-Apr-20 15:08:16

Smileless2012; Chinese takeaway? Is there one open near you?
If so how lucky for you. All ours are closed but I saw the kebab
shop has opened for a few hours a day now. I was thinking about Chinese food yesterday and my favourite out of there is chicken chow mein it's delicious I could eat it right now.

3nanny6 Thu 23-Apr-20 14:58:13

Good Afternoon Ladies hope everyone is well. I had a busy day yesterday as I needed to get to the bank and had to use a different one because my nearest local is closed because of lockdown. After that I took the dog for along walk and was so warm as the afternoon just got hotter and hotter.

P.F. that is a difficult thing not hearing about your daughters marriage for over a year and also the birth of your GD not until she was 14 months old you certainly had a lot to deal with. It must have hurt so much to see photographs of the wedding day and the M.I.L. in them.
I feel I have had easier times (although not that easy) and I
have not said anything on these threads before about the photographs but for the first time at the end of January 2020 I took down three of my large sized photos of the GC as the pain to keep looking at them was too much for me. They were photographs I had been given and I had them enlarged and bought lovely frames for them and they had pride of place on my top shelf. To be honest they are carefully wrapped in that bubble wrap and although talking to my daughter again I still have not taken the photographs out from the cupboard. The hurt went deep for me at the last episode with my daughter and I felt more hurt than usual but for me time apart and in general looking after myself did help a bit.

Smileless2012; I hope your cockapoo is recovering and getting better. It is a worry when they get poorly and right now when the vets are working restricted hours it can be difficult. The steroid injection should have done her good and perhaps she will recover without having to have surgery.
One of my dogs could be getting a visit to the vets next week. She has a small lump come up on her back leg which she has been licking. She is walking okay on all four legs and eating as much as she can possibly get, so she seems healthy.
I do worry about her now she is diabetic and partially sighted and although I cope well giving her the insulin twice a day I do get sad that she no longer gets her frantic chasing and running around the field and she used to be so funny to watch. She still manages well on her walks but I do not want her to get too much more wrong with her as the quality of life could be compromised and we know what that means.
On that note I best get out for some exercise and cheer up a bit. Take care All.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion