Gransnet forums

Estrangement

How to start reconciliation? (Very long sorry)

(99 Posts)
Ironflower Wed 29-Jan-20 04:35:33

Firstly I'd like to say that I am not a gran. I've been reading these forums for a while and this community sounds really lovely honestly. I haven't had any luck with advice in Parent groups as they are so harsh and quick to say things like restraining order. This is about my parents. I'm going to try and make it as short as possible sorry, but for true advice I feel like it has to have a lot of the story in it. Also please be gentle, I'm 9 months pregnant lol.

This is about my parents, I actually have a great relationship with my in-laws.

Over the years the relationship between my parents and my family has declined dramatically and we are now no contact. I still answer phone calls and talk to my mum. To hopefully make it shorter I'll list particular incidents in dot points.

- My dad was physically abusive to my older brothers (not me). He would grab them by the hair, push them against the wall, screaming and spitting in their faces.

- When I got married my parents were very jealous of in-laws even though we actually lived with my parents for a short time while our house was being built per their invitation. Things were okay, we did as asked.

- Most of the real problems started when we had our first child. My dad constantly said and did nasty things. The first event we held at my in-laws house was my sons baptism (engagement party and baby shower were all at my parents). I had 50+ guests as well as a 3 month old baby to look after. I showed my parents everything and spent some time specifically talking to them at different times but they ended up storming out of the event because they said they weren't getting enough attention. My dad almost closed the car door on me as I was trying to talk to him and ask what was wrong.

- I went back to work a couple afternoons a week and my parents wanted to watch our son. I was fine with this. Honestly the abuse of my brothers was a long time ago and I had never been struck. It was okay. I didn't have many instructions, but no hitting/smacking (son was 1), and don't give old formula. Try to get to nap if possible. Nothing fancy. A few months in my dad had been giving son hotdogs every single day. So I tried asking if maybe it could just be a treat food every once a while but not every day because of how unhealthy they are. My dad snapped at me that I was full of s* and ignored me for the rest of the day.

- One of the things that makes my dad most angry was that we never let him do the landscaping on our house. My dad is a builder. Initially we were happy to let him, hubby is a draftsperson and got engineer boss to design our retaining walls. In australia any retaining wall over 300cm must be engineered. These retaining walls were over 2000cm. My dad started carrying on that none of that was necessary, he wouldn't listen to any of the guidelines or laws. Hubby was getting so stressed as he just wouldn't listen that I said just hire someone. This is now thrown in our faces all the time.

- I'm pregnant again. I had post birth complications and so had to have an ultrasound. My parents watched both children at a mall nearby. I gave my parents open formula but told them it was only good for 15 minutes after that there was fresh formula in the bag. I return over an hour later and my dad is giving newborn the old milk. I try telling him that its old milk but my dad just starts shaking his head, rolling his eyes and turns away from me preventing me from taking newborn back. My husband and I decided here that we had really had enough of my parents constantly ignoring us.

- My dad is constantly nasty to me. Calling me names, telling me to shut my mouth in front of my kids (he does this to my mum too). Note I'm not arguing with him when he says this, it could be a simple thing like showing him something I was going to buy. I actually never argue with my dad, honestly he scares me too much.

- My dad also treats the kids horribly if my husband is around. If they walk up to him he will push them away. My husband is the nicest and kindest man he has literally never said anything to my dad despite the way he treats me.

- I tried writing a letter to him about how I felt when he called me names etc. It did not go well lol, and he wrote a nasty letter back signing his full name and not dad.

- My parents still come to kids celebrations but they always sit in a corner ignoring everyone (even the kids) and storm out halfway through. They have two other grandchildren and during my 2 year olds party my dad spent the entire time with niece and nephew not even acknowledging my son on his birthday.

- Christmas 2015 we are at their house as usual about to go into the pool. Oldest son is 2. We didn't quite know at the time (he has severe autism), but we knew that something was wrong. My dad takes son to the pool and then says no we go to the toilet before pool. Son was completely nonverbal and we had not started toilet training at all. I told my dad no, we weren't starting at that time and I didn't want to confuse him. He completely ignores me of course and marches son to the toilet (who's upset at leaving pool). We can hear protesting and its been a few minutes I send hubby in (I was very pregnant with Son 2). Pool is right outside toilet window so I hear all. Hubby says 'come on lets go time for pool' my dad argues 'NO he's going to the toilet.' Hubby tries again and again but my dad refuses to listen. He has restrained my 2 year old against the toilet. Eventually hubby just grabs son and takes him. My dad doesn't say a single word to us the rest of christmas day and we leave.

- When he was 3 oldest son is finally diagnosed with severe autism. This has been a huge problem in the family. My parents have even said to my face its my parenting (we don't hit him). At 6 my son is still mostly nonverbal and attends a special school. My parents refer to his classmates as mongoloids, retards, subbies (subhuman), all in front of him. I try to tell them its not appropriate but they gave some excuse that they are older and they don't the fancy new terms. I don't care what term, but slurs are never okay. They insist that son 1 is naughty and pretends that he doesn't understand anything. It can seriously take me 10 minutes to get him to pick up a plate. He'll pick up everything else or not know what to do with it. He doesn't understand but tries so hard.

- An example of this was my son not coming down from a playground. It wasn't that he didn't want to, he was stuck in a routine of only going down when one of us climbed up. He also didn't understand instructions of go down the slide. My dad starts raising his voice at him and immediately I stop him and actually argue with him telling him to leave him alone.

- Another huge issues is differences on medical treatment. Nephew was 2 and hospitalised with respiratory distress. Parents had to administer ventolin twice daily when he went home. I watched my brother holding him down to do ventolin and my parents stand over him while he's doing this saying they don't agree and that he's drugging him. Son 2 has bad asthma. He has been to hospital alot and even with ventolin and a preventer he has asthma attacks. I know that my parents wouldn't give him ventolin if he needed it, they have made it very clear how they feel about medicine.

- My parents love to drive me and the kids around. I'm not sure if its reliving old days or control but I put a stop to it. Despite me getting his car seats professionally installed my dad took them, took off safety clips and used a knot to anchor them. It was not safe and my dad is known for road rage and driving up to 50kms over the speed limit when hes angry at someone. This led to so many nasty calls that I was destroying their lives because I would rather meet them somewhere rather than be driven around.

- The first time we went out with me driving my kids, my dad would only walk 5m behind me, sit at a different table to me and ignore me. Son 2 (2 at the time) walked up to him and he pushed him away. I didn't go out again.

- Last year oldest son started kindergarten and my parents called me. They said that they no longer wanted to go out with just son 2, they had a special bond with son 1 because they had watched him when he was little. They have always favoured Son 1 and ignored Son 2. They demanded that we give them the kids once a fortnight overnight. I declined (asthma, not acknowledging son 1s special needs). Son 1 being autistic can wake up shrieking in the middle of the night for hours. Its draining, exhausting and he lashes out kicking etc. it can even be frightening to see. I just couldn't trust my dads reaction to this.

- Another argument, I tried to talk to my mum when she demanded to know why they couldn't watch the kids. I pointed out many examples and said these things need to happen first. For example, I need to be able to show them how to administer ventolin, I need to trust that they will give ventolin, they need to learn more about autism. I suggested they come along to a therapy appointment. They refused all of this and we were low contact.

- Another example we go out for a family birthday dinner. Son 1 melts down as soon as get to new restaurant as he has just woken up. My dad asks if he can take him to the playground. I say maybe later, I'd really like to calm him down first, and help him calm rather than rely on playgrounds to cheer up. The very next day I get a phone call that my dad has taken off to another state and is going to disappear because I won't let him do what he wants when he wants. Spoiler alert he does come back.

- We're kind of okay talking when my dad rings me. He says he wants to go on a family holiday but I have to tell him within the next 2 hours if we can go so it can be booked. We tell him we need way more time than that, hubby needs to see if he can get time off work etc. We do actually agree to go (hubby would've rather walked over hot coals but he left the decision to me). Also note I'm pregnant with our third. Trip is booked. My parents are paying accomodation, we pay our fuel and food, nice gesture on their part. HOWEVER I became extremely sick right before the trip. Not talking morning sickness, talking liver disease (ALT and AST were 450 and 350), I am vomiting (because of liver) and there were other physical problems with the pregnancy (baby was trapped and had to be manually moved by a doctor - incarcerated uterus). I also had active epstein barr virus, I couldn't eat, drink, or do anything. I was in and out of hospital. I was in hospital the day we were supposed to leave and my dad rings. My husband tries telling my dad how sick I am and my dad just keeps telling us to come the next day. He keeps making me feel guilty. I am released and the next day I ask hubby crying if we can just go (trip is a 9 hour drive with many points where there are no hospitals)

- During the trip I start bleeding and am told by birthing unit that I will probably lose the baby. I am miserable, so sick and meant to be on bed rest but we go. I try to sit and rest as much as I can. We do go to 2 theme parks with my parents. My dad tries to guilt us into driving an hour in the afternoon (after themepark) to IKEA and walking around with my aunty. I decline immediately and he has a bit of a tantrum. Honestly the trip didn't go too bad we thought. We weren't impressed with how my dad treated nephew (2 years old), he smacked him all the day most of the time with no warning and for small things 2 year olds do. When he wouldn't stop crying after being smacked, my dad lost his temper and shoved him hard. As soon as we returned I had a medical emergency and was admitted for several more days in hospital.

- We thought everything was fine. I spent some time at my parents house in the next, I went out with them. My dad did of course make some nasty comments but I brushed them off. However we asked if they wanted us to come over on fathers day and also celebrate Son 1s 6th birthday (same weekend). They seemed happy however when we got there my dad refused to leave the kitchen. Hubby said hi to him and he turned and walked away. Hubby told me, but I kind of brushed him off, maybe he was having a bad day. My dad was still talking to me. I definitely knew something was up when he started pushing his grandkids away from him, playing his computer, in general ignoring everyone but me. We ended up just leaving quite perplexed. I asked my mum and she said she would tell me later. It took her a month to call me. Apparently while on the holiday when we were walking back from the pool, we were nearly at the hotel room so hubby called out to Son 1 to catch up and hold his hand to walk in. My dad had been holding his hand and this was so offensive and horrible of my hubby. I was right there, it was nothing. It didn't matter how many times hubby asked my dad if he wanted to take Son1 on a ride etc. it meant nothing because he said "catch up ***" (name omitted).

So thats where we are. I haven't talked to them (apart from my mum ringing me to say what an awful person hubby is because of pool incident, that we are awful parents for keeping grandkids away (its mostly been them pushing the kids away). I tried to talk to her and ask how do we reconcile? What do u want the first step to be? She said no to just me and her having lunch, said no to all at dinner or the park, she said all of that takes to long. The only thing they will accept is me ringing them and asking them to take Son1 out for the day (not son2 lol). I of course said no and reminded her of the few things I wanted from them, that I told them a year ago, before they ever babysat (accept autism diagnosis, give ventolin etc).

So we're at a stale mate. I want to suggest family therapy but they think all therapists and doctors are scammers. I'm honestly just tired of my dad's temper tantrums. You'll notice I haven't mentioned my mum very much. My dad abuses her just as much. She showed him an item she wanted to buy on clearance and he said 'shut up shut up' and covered his ears and walked away? She was nearly crying. I feel bad for her but she constantly excuses his behaviour. He has her on a $20 a week allowance and told my husband that he should put me on an allowance. Hubby still laughs about this to this day. There has been so much more happen, but this is already too long.

I want my parents to be able to watch my kids grow and spend time with them, but I cannot trust them alone with them and they refuse to have anything to do with the grandkids unless its alone.

Do any of you lovely people have any ideas or things that have worked for you? I really can't take this stress much more.

Starlady Sun 02-Feb-20 03:42:02

Ironflower, my heart goes out to you! I think you have gotten some very good advice here though I'm sorry you found some posts hurtful. I will just add that I think the best way to avoid harassment is to block your parents phone number, etc. Or screen your calls, etc., and don't answer if its your mum (or dad).

I'm not sure how they were able to "let themselves into" your house. If they have a key, please change the locks and don't give them a new set.

No doubt, it's hard to have to take your kids w/ you everywhere and have no one to mind them for you. Would it be possible to hire someone to watch them a few times a week when you have to go to appointments? You might not like the idea of a non-family member taking care of them. But in this situation, it might be preferable. Perhaps you can find someone who is well versed is taking care of autistic children.

Like Smileless, I wish you the best for the safe and healthy delivery of your new baby!

Summerlove Thu 30-Jan-20 23:44:28

I can’t for the life of me understand why you want to reconcile, but you do, and that’s your right.

In the mean time, I hope you’ve changed your locks if they have a key.

You don’t need to answer your mother calling to yell at you.

As soon as you are able, seriously, as soon as possible, get back to therapy to find out why you don’t feel you deserve better.

Good luck

MerylStreep Thu 30-Jan-20 17:43:42

Could not agree more Re the 'Mother'
^He would grab them by the hair, push them against the wall, screaming and spitting in their faces'

notanan2 Thu 30-Jan-20 17:31:01

Do not leave any children alone with your parents, as in my view they are dangerous including the mother who minimises and normalises the fathers behaviour.

The normalising is often the worst most damaging part of abuse and it often comes from the bystander not the one laying the hands.

The OP too normalises by going back for more pretending (to herself) that there is normality to be had in that family.

notanan2 Thu 30-Jan-20 17:27:05

Agree with Hithere. The OPs mother enabled the abuse of her own son and will enable the abuse of her GCs.
Victims can become enablers of abuse its not belittling her own abuse but victims can become part of the abuse cycle.

The OP can either follow in her footsteps or break the cycle.

Namsnanny Thu 30-Jan-20 15:22:54

trying to get them to ( change)

Namsnanny Thu 30-Jan-20 15:21:16

I'm sure the is enough advice here for you to choose a way forward that suits your family.
I just wanted to say in my view your father will never change, and probably the same for your mother.
Dont waste your time trying to get them.
If you want to keep a lid on things for your own conscience, and I stress the way forward I suggest is for your benefit and not your fathers, i would visit only a few times a year and leave as soon as he becomes trouble to your sons.
He obviously has a deep seated problem with boys/men.
Do not leave any children alone with your parents, as in my view they are dangerous.

Hithere Thu 30-Jan-20 14:27:22

OP,

You need to realize your mother is as bad or worse than your father.
She knows how he is, how much damage he created and did nothing to stop it.
She is his enabler, they are a packaged deal.

No calls with your mother. She is going to do your father's dirty work.

3nanny6 Thu 30-Jan-20 13:36:05

The post from Smileless2012 was so caring and all the posts I see from Smileless generally are.
I already put a post on this thread and my advice was to cut ties with her father completely. I did notice one or two posts were quite tough and some blame was pointed at Iron flower but I did not do that.
I am guessing that the mother of Ironflower is probably controlled by the father and unless she can see that she is an abuse victim and leave him then contact with her may also have to stop.

I have also become estranged from one of my daughters and she has my three grand-children and although I have had contact with the children since the last flare up with my daughter I have not seen them or heard anything from my daughter in three months. The fact my daughter has suffered with mental health probably plays its part in the estrangement. To protect my own mental and emotional wellbeing I have kept to no contact as this is what my daughter insisted on.
Personally it is the first Christmas that I have not seen the children since they were born and in all honesty I just feel numb in side there are no words to capture the feelings and it seems sometimes that these little ones never came into my life and I did not have the moments of joy they brought to me. I have had counselling in the past because of the chaotic relationship with my daughter so I suppose I am at the point of saying I am a survivor and I know I have to have other interests which I have so learning to live with the outcome of my daughters illness is something I have to do.

So sorry to make this long and it is not about me it is about Ironflower and all best wishes to her I do hope she knows many of us were thinking of her and did not blame her for the terrible time she has had she did say she would not read any more messages because people had made things up about her hope she is okay.

Manmar2 Thu 30-Jan-20 12:58:09

What a lovely reply Smileless2012 - well said.

Smileless2012 Thu 30-Jan-20 10:24:35

Ironflower I think your OP is one of the most upsetting and disturbing posts I have ever read here on GNflowers.

We are estranged from our youngest son and only GC, and have been so for 7 years so I don't say this lightly. For the physical, mental and emotional well being of your self, your husband and your children IMO you need to cease contact with your parents.

I was thinking that perhaps you could have occasional 'phone/text and or email contact with your mother but from what you've posted, I can see that this may not be possible due to the level of anxiety any contact brings.

I cannot begin to imagine how distressing it must be for you, knowing that your mother's life is dictated by this abusive man but unless she's able to walk away, there's nothing you can do. Have you ever talked to her about this?

Very soon you will have a new addition to your lovely family. You have a wonderful husband, two lovely little boys and loving and supportive parents in law. There is much in life for you to enjoy so allow yourself to to do so.

I understand how hard it is when family relationships aren't what they should be and how much pain can be caused by those we love, and reasonably expected to love us in return. All any of us can do is make the most of what we do have and enjoy those we have in our lives who we love, and who love us in return.

Best wishes for the safe delivery of your baby.

Dottygran59 Thu 30-Jan-20 08:57:00

I know it's hard to ignore the harsh comments, Ironflower, I cringe reading them! Your hormones will be all over with the pregnancy and you sound exhausted with it all.

I hope that the overriding message that we all, kindly or otherwise, have tried to convey is that you should break away, for ALL your sakes. My heart aches for you, and the fact that we are older and wiser on this forum, means that many of us speak from experience, and would hate for you to have to go through what some of us have if by warning you now to let go and think of YOU and YOUR family, you save yourselves from more heartbreak in the future.

I don't know if you'll read this, but know that many of us here thought about you and your situation a lot last night
and wish you strength to cut ties with these toxic people

Yennifer Thu 30-Jan-20 07:52:15

That's going to happen for 3 reasons, it was a long post, people here are older and there are estranged parents here too. Just ignore comments that are off Ironflower, it's all you can do x

rosecarmel Thu 30-Jan-20 00:07:18

It's a difficult pill to swallow: accountability- But it's a medicine that has to be taken on a daily basis- There's no fast tracking to the front of the line to finally be "alright", it takes time- There's no one size fits all approach other than making the effort to change- Sometimes you have to cling to a single perception, like it were a lifeline, before you can open up to other views- Once out of the woods, you discover you still got pine needles in your hair, pollen and cobwebs on your clothes and mud on your boots from the footprints you left- Footprints?! Crap!! More to be accountable for!!! Should I go back? No ..

Sounds crazy, aye?

Some people speak and learn via plain English, others use imagery and metaphor- Any way out of the woods is good ..

Hithere Thu 30-Jan-20 00:07:14

"Reconciliation wasn't the right word. I have zero intention of going back to the way it was 5 years ago. Zero intention of allowing them to continue pushing boundaries. I guess I was looking for a magical cure with no more harassment and for them to accept their part and stop hating me so much."

I am sorry. There is no magical cure or words for that to happen.
No forum is able to give you that.

Ironflower Wed 29-Jan-20 23:41:28

Embellishing my story and adding things to it isn't what I would call harsh. I tried to make it as short as possible and so left out alot, apparently this left me open for people to add their own bits.

- Son1 was 1 when hotdog incident happened. I immediately quit my job and we lived off one income (almost lost our house doing this). We still live on one income because I have no help. Parents havent really babysat since.

- The one exception was during my emergency ultrasound when newborn was given old milk. We then knew that even during emergencies we had to do it on our own.

- They were still allowed at kids birthdays, and I sometimes went out in public with them.

- Pool incident happened and we went NC. This lasted around 6 months. They were still never allowed alone with kids and we barely saw them for over a year.

- A year goes and I'm occasionally seeing them in public. Then last year they started the nonsense demanding sleepovers and were told no.

- Its been 12 months and they have seen my kids maybe 6 times, most of them birthday parties and of course the holiday.

-Since then they haven't seen them at all (August 2019).

I have done everything. I moved away from them, cut contact, enforced boundaries. I am a super high risk pregnancy. I have specialist appts, NSTs twice weekly, weekly bloods. I have to drag my kids to hospital 3x a week because I have zero help. I have to take them to therapy about twice a week. I do everything and then to have strangers here assume things and make up things about me, call me abusive. I'm over it.

Reconciliation wasn't the right word. I have zero intention of going back to the way it was 5 years ago. Zero intention of allowing them to continue pushing boundaries. I guess I was looking for a magical cure with no more harassment and for them to accept their part and stop hating me so much.

I won't be responding anymore or even reading anymore. There were quite a few people with great advice, but the hurtful people have become too much. This forum isn't what I thought it was.

Yennifer Wed 29-Jan-20 21:30:44

Iron flower, some here are harsh it's true and I'm sorry for that because I have been in your position and had to get through my thick skull that what I had been conditioned to believe was normal, wasn't. I've had to unlearn bad habits and all sorts of gaslighting. However people are right. You have to wake up now and break this cycle. What you allow will continue x

Ironflower Wed 29-Jan-20 20:45:30

appreciative

Ironflower Wed 29-Jan-20 20:39:57

I am definitely appreciative of most of the advice. Many people assume full stories while I provided a couple sentence summaries of incidents. I answered those inconsistencies, apparently you can't edit posts on here. I haven't read these other posts but I'm not sure if you think I'm then making it up? My full story is actually posted on reddit, it was posted months ago (not sure if I can share a link).

I am most appreciate of the people that have private messaged me with support and told me to ignore the "more combative grans." I definitely regret this post completely. People assuming and writing nasty things about me and I cant even delete it.

GrannyLaine Wed 29-Jan-20 20:29:49

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

OutsideDave Wed 29-Jan-20 20:24:53

Why the hell would you want to reconcile???? They are monsters. Protect your kids. confused

notanan2 Wed 29-Jan-20 19:57:19

If you were in the UK your lack of accountability for what the children have been exposed to would be a social services concern due to your past failures to protect and your ongoing desire for reconciliation.

Harsh but it IS serious and you need to put the children ahead of your own unresolved yearnings to have your parents give you what they are not capable of giving.

notanan2 Wed 29-Jan-20 19:53:33

You said in your opening post that you do want them in yout childrens lives despite all you know about them, and now you back peddle.

You were a victim but now you are an adult who can chose but your children and nephew are the real victims because theyre at your mercy. Youre the adult now.

You cant have stopped the abuse of your nephew if in your words it continued all day.

Youve become part of the problem and you can stop. If you really wanted to.

Youre an adult. You now chose. Your children dont get to theyre a captive audience

kelleensc Wed 29-Jan-20 19:51:12

This is emotional and psychological abuse of you, your mother, your husband, and your children. AND, it sounds like occaisional physical abuse. He has you right under his thumb. Unfortunately, everyone around him has reinforced this behavior by continuing to let him treat them this way. You have even got to the point where you have been willing to sacrific your own life and that of your unborn child. Ask yourself: Why is that? Not because he is somekind of gem. Unfortunately, your mother has seemed to adopt some of his horrible behavior as well. It is NEVER okay for someone to degrade you or call you names! NEVER!

He also has the emotional stability of a 2-year-old. I know he's your father, but you have got to see him for what he is - a spoiled brat and a danger to anyone who comes around. Is he someone you REALLY want your children to have a relationship with. If he wasn't your father, what would you do?

Finally, I suggest you do some research (go to the library, internet, or go on YouTube and watch some videos) about narcissism, sociopathy, and psychopathy. See which fits him best and learn about it. Unfortunately, none of these types of people are heathly for you to spend your time around, but it might help you to understand. Then, even if he won't go, YOU should go to therapy. It would probably be beneficial for you and your hubby to go to therapy together as I imagine there is some unspoken hurt there as well. It may also be helpful for you to check out some addiction family support groups (AlAnon for example), it would help you understand about enabling behaviors and how to set boundaries.

Take care of yourself and your family. I don't see how you can do that with them in your life.

Take care of yourself , your hubby, and your sweet little ones!

Ironflower Wed 29-Jan-20 19:37:56

Severe is the term used by his GP. He is diagnosed as level 2 (was done 2 years ago), but other therapists and GP have said that he should be level 3. He's being reassessed soon (long wait for child psychologist). Most people without experience with special needs don't know the levels or what they mean, that's why I just used the word severe.