Gransnet forums

Estrangement

Coping with not speaking grandchild

(15 Posts)
Fluff93 Wed 27-May-20 10:18:14

How many times do you speak to your grandchildren. But son doesnt understand that I want to speak to her more than twice a week. She is 8 and misses me terribly when I get to speak to her

Smileless2012 Wed 27-May-20 10:41:18

Twice a week seems reasonable to me Fluff. I appreciate you must be missing your GD during this time of restrictions but your son will I'm sure have added pressures because of the current situation so in your position, I wouldn't want to add to them.

tanith Wed 27-May-20 10:52:57

I don’t speak to most of my GC anything like twice a week they all have their own priorities and friends. The two youngest live abroad so that’s a very irregular thing for them.

I’d actually be grateful you have as much contact as you do as soon she too will have other priorities and friends so enjoy it while it lasts.

dragonfly46 Wed 27-May-20 10:55:23

Mine FT me when they have something to say. I get videos and pictures every day from my DiL, however.

paddyanne Wed 27-May-20 11:01:11

mine msg me on FB or call if theres something they need to talk about.To be honest these lockdown weeks have been the longest I haven't had to worry about them for years as Dad is home,He usually works away 12 out of 14 days and they help care for their sick mum.With Dad there they can relax a bit and so can I .If I dont hear from them thats great means they're not having any crisis

Oopsadaisy3 Wed 27-May-20 11:54:40

We speak to ours on Birthdays, holidays (Easter etc.) or if they have something they want to share with us, which isn’t very often, so about 12 times a year, we haven’t seen them since just before Christmas.

so face time was a nice Surprise last night, When we saw that DGD has died her hair blonde!

That’s why she FTd us, to see our expressions ...

rosenoir Wed 27-May-20 12:27:09

Maybe she is upset after the call so your son wants to limit the calls or like most children they get busy and do ask to speak to grandparents.

Floradora9 Wed 27-May-20 14:41:15

Our GC 8 and 10 call us themselves on Hangouts and google meet or on the phone if they want a chat . They speak to us several times a week and they have a chat with my DD ,their aunt, every day after home school has finished.

Callistemon Wed 27-May-20 14:55:51

Do you call during 'school hours'?

Mine are adhering to the normal school timetable - their own choice.
I have to phone after 4pm.

ninathenana Wed 27-May-20 15:21:17

I went several months without talking to my two GC for reasons I won't go into. Twice a week seems very reasonable to me.

Bibbity Wed 27-May-20 16:23:25

Twice a week is more than reasonable. You may feel it’s not reasonable but your option doesn’t matter in the decisions they have made.

You need to be careful. Because if you carry on you may find the calls reduce.

Tangerine Wed 27-May-20 16:28:30

Twice a week seems reasonable to me. Perhaps it upsets your granddaughter when she has to say goodbye and she possibly starts saying she wants to see you in reality.

I hope you'll be able to see her properly soon.

Hithere Wed 27-May-20 19:16:58

How often would you want to talk to your gc?

Fluff93 Thu 28-May-20 11:36:02

Sorry just realised I had wrote it wrong once a week every two weeks is when I get a call

Smileless2012 Thu 28-May-20 12:46:14

How often did you see and/or speak to your GD before the lock down Fluff?