Gransnet forums

Estrangement

Brilliant news for AECs

(16 Posts)
Starblaze Sat 27-Jun-20 19:39:25

These brand new changes will of course go across the family court system and protect adult estranged children from abusive parents in all family court matters. Really gives me hope that estranged children can now protect their own children from abusive grandparents

www.gov.uk/government/news/major-overhaul-of-family-courts-to-protect-domestic-abuse-victims

Smileless2012 Sat 27-Jun-20 19:59:53

confused the link you have provided is about domestic abuse ie abuse within the home that can impact on children.

It has nothing to do with adult children estranging themselves from abusive parents. GP's aren't even mentioned. It's focus is on an abusive relationship between children's parents and has nothing to do with EAC who estranged themselves from abusive parents.

EllanVannin Sat 27-Jun-20 20:04:20

Yes this was excellent news---not before time either as there was never protection for the victim/s .

Smileless2012 Sat 27-Jun-20 20:08:46

I agree it's excellent news EllanVannin but has nothing to do with abused EAC protecting their children from potentially abusive GP's, as the thread title and the OP suggests.

Starblaze Sat 27-Jun-20 20:10:25

Domestic abuse is abusive behaviour from a family member, partner or ex partner. Any changes should apply to all domestic abuse victims. It's wonderful news smile

Smileless2012 Sat 27-Jun-20 20:19:00

It is wonderful news I agree but has nothing to do with abused EAC wanting to protect their children from potentially abusive GP's.

Starblaze Sat 27-Jun-20 20:40:15

I'm afraid you are wrong Smileless these are changes to the Domestic Abuse Bill which does cover abuse by family members

EllanVannin Sat 27-Jun-20 20:52:36

It takes away the rights that family members "think" they have which is a good thing where physical abuse has been present.

Smileless2012 Sat 27-Jun-20 20:57:59

Yes Starblaze it covers abuse by family members. An EAC who had abusive parents is no longer in a domestic abuse situation. They are not living with their parents, they have estranged them and live elsewhere.

This Bill is not about protecting children from possible abusive GP's. It is to protect all victims of domestic abuse and your link on numerous occasions refers to parents, partners and children. GP's aren't mentioned at all.

Abuse at the hand of an abusive GP would not be covered by domestic abuse, it would fall under the auspices of child abuse. Did you actually read the link?

Ironflower Sat 27-Jun-20 21:00:00

Didn't we literally all just have a debate on custody laws not applying to GP cases? (going to prison for not following GP visitation) lol

Starblaze Sat 27-Jun-20 21:05:04

The estranged child would be alleging abuse done to them Smileless

Crown Prosecution Service

Smileless2012 Sat 27-Jun-20 21:28:53

Yes we did Ironflower for all the good that did.

Yes, and that is a potential case of domestic abuse Starblaze. A P wishing to protect their child from a potentially abusive GP is not a case for prosecution. Prosecution would only happen if a GP were charged with abuse.

The Domestic Abuse bill is for what has happened or is happening, not for what might happen. You can't prosecute someone for what they might do, only for what they are accused of doing. CPS stands for Crown Prosecution Service.

Starblaze Sat 27-Jun-20 22:40:48

This offers new protection for AEC who are being stalked or harassed by ex family members, it will also offer new protections when an AEC is taken to court by their own parent for contact if the grandparent abused the child's parent.

The CPS document was only an example of what is classified as domestic abuse. It doesn't mean living in the same home. It also applies to ex partners. It also applies to male victims of domestic abuse. Women are mentioned because they are the most reported cases. That's all.

I think it's a shame you can't see the implications for all survivors of abuse Smileless including estranged children who were/are suffering at the hands of people who should love them.

This offerrs a new umbrella of protection and its wonderful really.

Starblaze Sat 27-Jun-20 22:46:40

I'm specifically not relating this to the other thread Ironflower because this is solely about abuse victims and a different subject. If I put it there it might be seen as an accusation that all grandparents who are cut off from grandchildren are abusive, I wouldn't want people to think that is what I meant. So it's here instead.

Smileless2012 Sat 27-Jun-20 23:46:29

You have put in your OP "Really gives me hope that estranged children can now protect their own children from abusive grand parents" and I don't see how you've come to that conclusion from the link you've provided.

I see the implications for all survivors of abuse if their abuser is facing court proceedings for the offence, but none for "estranged children who were/are suffering at the hands of people who should love them" if no criminal charges have been made.

Starblaze Sat 27-Jun-20 23:52:29

OK Smileless