Gransnet forums

Estrangement

Estrangement and birthdays, feeling low and dreading birthday

(16 Posts)
ineedamum Sun 13-Sep-20 14:39:35

I always feel low on the run up to my birthday. Birthdays are unique to each person and celebrated by loved ones. In my case its just another day. I'm fine when my birthday is over, but the run up I hate.

Anyone else feel like this? What can I do as a treat in these strange times? I want something to look forward to.

The day itself is never that bad and I feel relieved when it is over. But work have collections and will ask what I'm doing, I can't say nothing.

I think it is a reminder that my family have never been there for me or loved me, not even on special days. I accept they never will be, but it is only my birthday where I feel sad

Jaxjacky Sun 13-Sep-20 15:36:19

Maybe a special meal, do you have anywhere that delivers, you can order double and freeze some if there is a minimum charge? It depends what cheers you, flowers, a downloaded film, a walk by the coast or just stay in pj’s all day? It’s difficult to make suggestions when you don’t know someone. As for work, you could say you’re having a lazy indulgent day...x

Smileless2012 Sun 13-Sep-20 16:42:46

winecupcakeflowers for when your birthday is here ineedamum. There are times in our lives and certain events that come around every year that seem to magnify loneliness.

Some good ideas from Jaxjacky and when work ask you what you'll be doing you can say 'I don't know yet, it's a surprise' which if you haven't decided, is true.

Sparkling Sun 13-Sep-20 18:51:40

Ineedamum, Enjoy your birthday and celebrate the fact that you are special, everyone is, the fact that your family have not recognised this, is there loss. ? enjoy your day, treat yourself, I always do, I’m not special to anyone anymore, but I love my birthday and celebrate the fact I’m here enjoying life, you never know what’s round the corner. Be happy,

Nonogran Sun 13-Sep-20 19:18:23

Take yourself off for a treat. Back massage, manicure, pedicure? Go some place new, somewhere you've always wanted to visit but never got around to. Potter around window shopping, coffee, lunch, seaside for fish & chips, if near enough. National Trust garden or house? Take a train or a bus somewhere distant and enjoy the new views/scenery. Buy yourself something nice, a small trinket that catches your eye. Plan it now, research opening times, Covid restrictions etc and GO for it. Lift your chin and enjoy your day! Happy birthday!! X

ineedamum Sun 13-Sep-20 19:42:28

Thank you for taking the time to post with some useful tips. I think I need to plan something and have something to look forward to.

Smileless2012 Sun 13-Sep-20 19:48:21

I hope when you've decided that you'll be doing that you'll let us know and when it is your birthday ineedamum, so we can send you birthday wishes on the day.

Chewbacca Sun 13-Sep-20 20:04:59

Lots of self pampering like spa treatments or manicures. Lunch at a special place with friends. Or a picnic with friends if the weather is good. But as Smileless says, don't forget to tell us when the special day is so that we can all wish you a Very HappyBirthday.

Madgran77 Sun 13-Sep-20 20:45:02

Definitely plan something and treat yourself. Whatever your treat of choice is. And as Smileless says, let us know when the big day is. flowers

Grannyben Sun 13-Sep-20 20:52:45

If you are going to be on your own, think about what you feel comfortable doing without being accompanied by friends or family. Maybe get your hair and nails done, buy yourself a nice slice of cake and, if you aren't happy eating out on your own, order yourself a nice takeaway.
I can cope with birthdays but it's New Year's Eve that I hate with a passion. It's such a long day on your own.
Life isn't always what we'd hoped for is it!

Starblaze Mon 14-Sep-20 10:25:06

ineedamum I made an effort to enjoy my birthday this year and I did.

All those unhappy memories and that feeling that you aren't deserving, should never have belonged to you.

Plan something you enjoy, even if that's a day in bed. Open presents, even if you have to buy them yourself.

Let those who love you celebrate the day you came into this world.

Put the happy back in birthday

ineedamum Mon 14-Sep-20 10:57:05

Thanks again, I've never thought of buying myself Presents! I have never told my friends when my burthday is, they don't know I'm estranged really. I've booked the day off work which is a good start...

Starblaze Mon 14-Sep-20 14:12:23

Oh my goodness! Buy presents for you!

Also, maybe try telling someone it is your birthday. Not everyone wants to ruin it for you, promise

Madgran77 Mon 14-Sep-20 16:28:07

I agree with Starblaze Start spoiling yourself smile

Starblaze Mon 14-Sep-20 17:46:09

Self love!

My favourite thing to do is please my inner child as she was neglected growing up.

So my handbag is covered in unicorns and flowers and I give zero whatevers who may laugh because my inner child is very happy indeed lol

Helen657 Mon 14-Sep-20 17:49:26

Although I’m not estranged from family, my Hubby & son have never really bothered about birthdays, DH works abroad, it’s unusual for him to be home, & DS now adult & living away. So I spoil myself! I book the day off work, sometimes book a facial or manicure, & often go to the cinema later on with either a nice takeaway or just a McDonalds drive through! Pick something you enjoy & have a lovely day xx