Gransnet forums

Estrangement

How to cope with not being able to see grandchildren over the holidays

(7 Posts)
Marin Mon 14-Dec-20 14:52:27

My son and DIL have mental health issues and periodically cut us off from seeing our granddaughters who are 7 and 9 and live an hour away. They abruptly texted us to say that there will be no holiday this year because the older girl got a bad grade on her report card and we will not be able to see both of them indefinitely even though her sister got all A s. My husband and I are sick of being cut off. They also mock us and are verbally abusive. I dread the coming holidays now. They have done this too many times. We love the girls and try to see them every weekend because my son and DIL neglect them.

Smileless2012 Mon 14-Dec-20 16:08:17

I'm sorry to hear about your situation Marin. I can't begin to imagine how difficult it must be not knowing from one day to the next if you're going to be able to see your GC.

You say your son and d.i.l. have mental health issues, are social services involved to ensure that they and the children are OK?

welbeck Mon 14-Dec-20 16:11:32

in what way do they neglect them ?

welbeck Mon 14-Dec-20 16:14:43

lots of people will not be able to see GC this year, and i think it's probably safer not to.
the less mingling the better, the sooner the virus can be got under control.
but it seems there are wider issues with your GC and their parents.

freedomfromthepast Mon 14-Dec-20 19:41:42

My sister, who does not have mental health issues, once stopped her son from going to his grandmas due to his grades. He wasnt allowed to go ANYWHERE. So that alone is not something that would worry me.

Plus, well COVID. ??

I too am interested in how the gc are being neglected. Some more info may help to offer us insight.

EllanVannin Mon 14-Dec-20 20:48:21

How are those parents getting away with neglecting the children ? Don't they have support from the authorities ?

Madgran77 Mon 14-Dec-20 21:24:57

Marin I understand you are upset about not seeing your grandchildren. However I think the most concerning thing is whether your grandchildren are safe. You mention mental health issues and neglect. The parents mock you and are abusive to you. How are they I wonder with the kids?

If social services are not involved in anyway then I think you should contact them ....or ring the NSPCC for urgent advice.