Gransnet forums

Estrangement

Do you send gifts to GC when estranged

(255 Posts)
Sheian62 Sun 10-Oct-21 08:27:03

Hi, We would like to give a money gift/card to our upcoming GD birthdays however we have been estranged from our son and his partner and our 2 young grandchildren for the past 3 months. The youngest will be 1, the oldest 5. There were 2 reasons for estrangement:
1. I showed photographs to my 4 year old GD of her new cousin 3 months old. My son disapproved as he is estranged from our daughter following exchanges between them of nasty cruel texts. They have been estranged 6 years. He wants us to back him and have nothing to do with our daughter. I told him I have 3 children and 3 GC and love them all and am going to make sure they are all aware of the other when asked in my house. Son doesn’t like that.
2. Son and partner had arranged a night out. We were due to babysit offering to have children from 4 on Saturday and return them around 10:00 on Sunday. We were accused of depriving them of a lie-in!
Upto point of estrangement we have supported them by having our eldest GD one day per week for 4 1/2 years, babysat in their house, had GC at ours overnight, helped them financially to £thousands, taken them on holidays your expense.

I was hoping that things would have calmed by now. We have been excluded from FB and deprived of communicating with our GDs which is upsetting, particularly as eldest started school recently.

Would you buy gifts or try and send money or any advice going forward would be appreciated. X

Allsorts Tue 16-Jan-24 15:42:25

We are all very different people after a long estrangement, I think we imagine things will go back to happy days if we were to get together but quite honestly it wouldn’t. Although I sent cards and presents to my grandchild in retrospect I wouldn’t, she has a life with people I know nothing about and a lifestyle I haven’t, the gap now is too big.

JCK1943 Thu 11-Jan-24 03:13:54

I agree with you @freedom from the past

Mamasperspective Wed 10-Jan-24 14:30:34

Put money in an account that can be kept there in case they ever get in contact. Otherwise leave it alone. If your son doesn't want pictures of HIS child sharing then it's not your place to do so against his wishes. He is allowed boundaries for his own child and it's wrong to try to overrule his parenting decisions.

Whiff Mon 08-Jan-24 07:08:02

Nicola this thread started in 2021 better to start a new thread as last post before yours was January 2022.

Nicola1960 Sun 07-Jan-24 20:06:05

I have the same situation. I have a five year old GD and a GS who is nearly one and have only seen once. Isent voucher with a card for Xmas and no acknowledgement.

OnwardandUpward Mon 03-Jan-22 21:06:39

Thanks so much Madgran77 and Smileless It seems to have worked . It was suggested to me that as he's quite insecure, he might need to be chased. I would have liked him to make the effort to get in touch, but I did put my pride aside as I realised that we would be losing out if he was not able.

Smileless2012 Mon 03-Jan-22 17:40:45

That's amazing Onward I'm thrilled for you and hope this is the beginning of a new and better chapter in all of your livessmile.

Madgran77 Mon 03-Jan-22 16:46:58

Onward I am glad for you that it worked. flowers

OnwardandUpward Mon 03-Jan-22 11:55:51

Ok, I should add to "what have you got to lose?" I did have to put any pride aside.

OnwardandUpward Mon 03-Jan-22 01:02:21

I did send a gift to GC and it ended the estrangement because EC sent a gifts back to us, so we decided to take a massive chance and turn up on their doorstep. We were welcomed in!

What have you got to lose?

Im truly sorry for anyone who can't do this because it's not welcome- but if you aren't sure, it's worth taking a chance and trying because you never know- and even if you don't "get anywhere", you'll have given your GC pleasure, whether they know it was from you or not.

Anne701951 Thu 30-Dec-21 15:46:01

Children need to know their grandparents are there for them, even when the parents are estranged. They will always remember the cards and gifts, which don't have to be huge. Life is fleeting and giving to your grandchildren will make you both feel good. One never knows what is around the next corner. Always be kind. It's good for you.

Yoginimeisje Tue 21-Dec-21 08:14:23

nananet flowers & }}}Hugs{{{

nananet01 Mon 20-Dec-21 16:44:16

I wrestle with this every year, not just xmas; birthdays, easter. I've followed my heart, will be 3 years this year, my grandson is 8 today. Turns out, the children do get what I send, whether by post, via another granny, my daughter does allow them to have they're gifts.
Xmas is a non event for me, more so this year. I see no point.
I enjoy getting things I think my gc will love, its strange, I still feel connected, I 'guess' a lot, seems I get it right. The parents can't destroy my love for my gc, I have that, and memories of happier Christmas's with them

Smileless2012 Wed 08-Dec-21 09:31:42

Yes I am thank you Bridie.

You know that it's like of you go on a diet, all you think about are the foods you shouldn't eat because if you do, you wont lose weight. I think the same applies here. The more you tell yourself to stop thinking and hoping, the more you do.

You can't stop, that's the problem. All you can do is continue with your life without them and as so many of us have found, as time passes you don't think and hope as much as you used tooflowers.

Bridie22 Tue 07-Dec-21 18:43:47

Hope you are feeling better smileless, its so hard to stop hoping and thinking but I need to stop and try to be grateful for what I have.

Smileless2012 Tue 07-Dec-21 17:14:40

We drew the line at the beginning of this year Bridie. We never sent gifts to our GC but cards on their birthdays and at Christmas.

Non were ever returned, even when we lived just down the road but I don't think for one minute they ever received them.

Yes it does hurt doing it either way so try and choose the one that hurts the leastflowers.

Granniesunite Tue 07-Dec-21 17:13:59

I do understand that Bridie22 You really have to walk that mile don’t you before truly understanding our lose.

I struggled this year as I don’t know what she’s interested in anymore and I do think a “joke” will be made of whatever is sent anyway. But the wee girl I knew is in there somewhere…

Bridie22 Tue 07-Dec-21 13:43:14

I have drawn the line this year, I cannot handle the heartbreak of gifts and cards being returned, it hurts doing it either way.

Granniesunite Tue 07-Dec-21 10:06:59

I’ve sent a gift again this year and sent it with all our love..

We’re not giving up hope that one day we’ll be reconciled again.

We’ve loved and cared for her all her life and always will do
no matter how much undermining goes on.

I hope you are all doing well and finding a little bit of Joy in your lives.

Socksandsocks01 Tue 07-Dec-21 09:50:39

I won't be sending any more cards or gifts as these have been clearly not wanted by adult granddaughter. I'm hurt I admit. I have good days and bad days but hopefully remain strong enough not to do any grovelling. They know me well enough not to forget me. If they choose to prefer their fathers version of events eventually they will come to realise their nana wasn't a bad person. Nor a bad mother. Everyone sees me differently to my EAS.

Smileless2012 Sun 28-Nov-21 14:31:16

I think cards are the way to go Allsorts and as you say, one day when they're older they'll be able to get their post before it's intercepted.

theworriedwell Sun 28-Nov-21 13:29:39

The video was good, well worth listening to.

Allsorts Sun 28-Nov-21 08:27:10

In retrospect sending gifts is not a good idea, mine never were passed on. A card at Christmas and birthdays, plus a couple of random ones in the year, just a simple message, love and thinking if you, one day they will be able to pick up their own post, perhaps then they will question the estrangement. I know if I had grandparents who were never mentioned, I would seek them out.

freedomfromthepast Fri 26-Nov-21 02:13:54

I also felt the video was very well done. I felt it was very balanced and good advice.

CafeAuLait Thu 25-Nov-21 22:18:34

My big failure was to reward gift sending with a thank you letter full of information and photos. It's hard to receive gifts and not say thank you. Silly me. When I stopped rewarding it, a few years later the gifts stopped.