Gransnet forums

Estrangement

Estranged SIL appears to be reading the letters I sent my Dad

(18 Posts)
Shandy57 Wed 02-Feb-22 17:38:29

Hello all,

When my Mum died 22 years ago I stopped contact with my Dad, brother and SIL as I disagreed with the way all of them had treated her both in life and after her death.

My parents were divorced in 1977, and my Dad remarried, but they had remained friends. He is now widowed and moved a few doors down from my brother and SIL two years ago. Apparently my SIL cleans for him, I assume she is now his main carer.

I did write and forgive my Dad and brother around 2002, but didn't want to have any contact with them again, they live by a different moral code.

When my husband died six years ago my Dad made contact again, just birthday and Christmas cards. He wrote a strange letter last autumn saying he'd like 'more than one letter' from me a year (he is now 89, 90 in August), so I wrote back. I was going to write again at Christmas, but my roof disaster happened, so I've only just written again.

I have one aunt aged 84 on the IOW, my late Mum's sister. She continues to see my brother and SIL, as well as my Dad, occasionally. My brother and SIL turned up on Monday out of the blue, saying they'd made a resolution to 'see more of her'.

During the conversation they talked to my aunt about the contents of my letter to my Dad.

I don't want them to know my business, and feel very uncomfortable about it. I don't know if my Dad left it out and my SIL read it, or he asked her to read it to him because he can no longer see.

I can't see a way around this. I don't have his phone number, he doesn't have an email address, I only have letters as a form of communication.

What would you do?

Grandmabatty Wed 02-Feb-22 17:44:57

It's possible that his eyesight has deteriorated so has asked them to read the letter. If you still want to send him letters then keep the contents light. I don't think you would be able to stop them reading your letters if they are local to your dad and you are not. Would phoning him be out of the question?

Grandmabatty Wed 02-Feb-22 17:45:31

Sorry, just saw you don't have his phone number.

Shandy57 Wed 02-Feb-22 17:58:49

Thanks Grandmabatty.

I've just phoned my aunt as I feel miserable about it - apparently she has asked for my Dad's number several times and they haven't given it to her. I think they are isolating him ready to pounce on his money.

I'm going to wait and see if he replies to the letter, and in future, will send breezy postcards as you suggest smile

VioletSky Wed 02-Feb-22 18:09:11

I'm so sorry this happened. It took a lot for you to reach out like that.

I think you need to make sure you send nothing too personal too

Chewbacca Wed 02-Feb-22 18:15:17

Do you know of any of your Dad's old friends or neighbours Shandy57?

Hithere Wed 02-Feb-22 18:25:55

There is a risk when you put something in writing - may not stay private

Sadly, he is closer to them than to you.

Elizabeth27 Wed 02-Feb-22 18:36:46

I think it would be quite natural for your father to talk to your brother about a letter you sent to him. I expect you spoke to people about the letter you sent.

Serendipity22 Wed 02-Feb-22 18:46:59

Hmmmm, i would still write but don't put things in the letters that you font want others to know.

Your SIL may even get the letters before your dad and open them. If your SIL and family have access to your dads home, it is possible.

Sorry you are experiencing all this.

MayBeMaw Wed 02-Feb-22 18:51:22

www.google.com/url?client=internal-element-cse&cx=010995057459380558086:wn3vvylhmc4&q=https://www.gransnet.com/forums/estrangement/1301021-Letter-from-estranged-89-year-old-father-asking-for-one-letter-a-year&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwic3p2Z1uH1AhXjyIUKHdnIDxMQFnoECAYQAg&usg=AOvVaw2o_FezF_tNW6fXWWlzdDvB

I remember you posting about this last year- did things improve at all as a result of the suggestions which were made?
(Apologies for the length of the link)

Granniesunite Wed 02-Feb-22 18:51:22

I’d keep your letters light with no personal information or could you provide your dad with a mobile phone would he manage something like that . Just a thought….

Shandy57 Wed 02-Feb-22 20:01:23

Thank you for all your replies.

I will continue to correspond with him occasionally, but as many have suggested, keep the letter light and impersonal.

Allsorts Sat 05-Feb-22 20:42:08

I remember your previous post. Unfortunately you cannot alter what they have read, just how you react to it, too late now to do anything and I doubt that if they don’t have a response from you, they will just fade out of your life.

Shandy57 Sat 05-Feb-22 21:39:31

Luckily they won't know how I've reacted Allsorts, I have no contact with them at all. They obviously told my aunt knowing that she would tell me. I won't be putting anything at all personal in my next note.

Fleur20 Sat 05-Feb-22 22:24:24

If your father cant deal with a mobile phone, would he still have a landline?
Unless he has gone x-directory you might still be able to get his number from the operator.. just a thought...

Allsorts Sun 06-Feb-22 08:14:10

That’s good Shandy.

DiscoDancer1975 Sun 06-Feb-22 09:31:22

Yes...anything in writing can be a real problem. I don’t think there’s much you can do, just be careful what you write in the future.

One thing for sure, at least it’s proof you haven’t entirely washed your hands of your dad, and have tried to remain civil. They can never say you didn’t bother.

Take care.

Ali08 Wed 09-Mar-22 13:38:44

Google his name and address and you might get a phone number.