Gransnet forums

Estrangement

Not sure if it's any help.

(10 Posts)
DiamondLily Tue 22-Feb-22 10:19:56

I didn't want to derail any threads, but this came through on my Google card page, and as it includes "real life" support, amongst other things, in certain areas, I thought some might find it useful.

www.standalone.org.uk/about/

Smileless2012 Tue 22-Feb-22 10:36:40

I'm sure it will be helpful DiamondLily especially for those who are in the early period of estrangement.

Redhead56 Tue 22-Feb-22 10:46:25

Yes I agree if it’s a support for anyone in this difficult situation it’s will be helpful for those who are needing advice.

VioletSky Tue 22-Feb-22 13:46:12

Stand Alone is brilliant

I wish they had been around when my mother made me homeless at 18 because they could have helped me finish my college course and perhaps I wouldn't have attempted suicide without that time of total abandonment. Having to give up my future at such a young age to take care of myself with no money and no life skills was so soul destroying.

DiamondLily Tue 22-Feb-22 14:01:42

Oh, I didn't know it helped young people as well. I don't know, I was married at 18 and running a home. I guess I became independent at an early age anyway.

But, it looks a good support for those that need it.

Smileless2012 Tue 22-Feb-22 14:17:01

Me too DiamondLily first left home at 16 to flat share with a friend a few years older and married at 19.

DiamondLily Tue 22-Feb-22 14:25:57

Yes, my problem was I married the wrong man, too young, to get away from my mother lol

Notjing wrong with him, but not "the one", and I kept my side of the bargain for 30 years.

Still, not many regrets.

We sure grew up quicker in those days.?

Smileless2012 Tue 22-Feb-22 14:31:59

I was very fortunate to get it right first time DiamondLily; our 42nd wedding anniversary this year.

I sometimes wonder if we grew up more quickly, matured sooner or, if we grew up too quickly. I remember my mum's concern when we got engaged and I was just 18, which I couldn't understand as I was going to be the same age she was when she married my dad.

They did divorce but had had a happy, if at times rather volatile relationship for 22 years.

DiamondLily Tue 22-Feb-22 14:58:13

Congrats on getting it right! I had to do it again before getting it right...?

I don't know, I look at my 18 year old GD - so mature in many ways, knows what she wants for her future, but so scatty in others.

I can't see her successfully running a home - there's a meltdown if her hairdo doesn't turn out right lol ?

Smileless2012 Tue 22-Feb-22 15:10:22

I know what you mean, I see the GC of friends at that age and wonder how on earth they'd have coped, then I wonder how I did. Mr. S. is 8 years older so maybe that had something to do with it.