Gransnet forums

Estrangement

Do abusive people know they are abusive?

(304 Posts)
VioletSky Wed 27-Jul-22 15:01:54

This is the one thing I have never been able to figure out.

Whether we are talking about an abusive parent, an abusive adult child or an abusive partner of an estranged adult child...

Do they know they are abusive?

Or do they think they are right and justified in their actions?

Is that why they are so easily able to convince others around them to either join in on that behaviour, defend them or convince a partner to estrange a family member?

Do they think that others are deserving of bad treatment?

Do they genuinely think that their world view is the only right and fair one and anyone who doesn't agree must be othered somehow?

I remember so well how my mother taught me I was deserving of abuse, that I wasn't good enough, that I wasn't worthy of love.

Did she truly believe that about me and thought she was right all along?

A big part of me thinks that they must know, or they wouldn't deny their own behaviour, they wouldn't gaslight, they wouldn't tell you you are too sensitive or imagining things...

But recently I'm not so sure, maybe it starts out small, maybe there was a thing that you did that they didn't like and they don't know how to forgive and it escalated from there as you react to their behaviour and they decide your reaction is what defines you.

Maybe they think you deserve to be punished and the gaslighting is simply to ensure that you stick around to get it.

User7777 Mon 07-Nov-22 00:06:26

I think some people are not aware of their behaviours. My sister is always abusive to me. Verbally mainly, and is very unhappy in herself. I do charity work which she laughs at. She is wealthier than me, but so what, I feel my karma is better than hers. Am thinking of removing myself permanently from her. Her son upsets her, and this causes a lot of her aggression

Smileless2012 Wed 03-Aug-22 17:23:12

hugs you are lovable. You have people in your life who love you because not only are you lovable you are worthy of loveflowers.

As you've posted Caleo the child is always innocent and after years of trying to come to terms with my own abusive experience, that was all I needed to know. I was innocent. It wasn't my fault.

kateflowers it is possible and believe that, because it's true.

VioletSky Wed 03-Aug-22 11:01:01

Abusive people teach their children they are unlovable and worthless

Children are programmed to look to their parents so once that message is installed it is extremely hard to get rid of.

When some become adults they choose to estrange that parent.

When some become adults they choose to manage that parent.

It's a bit like riding riding roller-coaster.

It's brave to ride it and it is brave to choose not to.

Kate1949 Wed 03-Aug-22 10:05:19

When you have been the victim of an abusive, neglectful childhood and have no idea what it is to be loved, for most people (not all) life us very difficult indeed. It's almost impossible to feel happiness when you are damaged.

hugshelp Wed 03-Aug-22 09:07:23

"The example you give, about the way your father treated you when you were a child, everyone will agree fathers ought not to bully their children and the child is always innocent."
Of course, Calco.

We know a lot of things with our rational adult brains. But when we explore our own behaviour and the things we try to do to heal, we often find that we don't always 100% believe those things with our vulnerable child brain. Listening to our heart, our fears, often helps us move on where rational thinking cannot. We can get too stuck in our own heads trying to fix things sometimes. That's not to say reading self-help books isn't a good thing. It can often be really useful.

I think when we find the core damage within ourselves, the things we need to heal often become self-evident.

Caleo Wed 03-Aug-22 08:48:54

Hugshelp, that's a useful discussion from you.

I always do what you suggest, and I find that I am the one at fault and also the other person is at fault. It's so hard to be able to say which one of us is most at fault.
The example you give, about the way your father treated you when you were a child, everyone will agree fathers ought not to bully their children and the child is always innocent.
However not all abuse is so clear cut and sometimes the victim of abuse is not as innocent as a little child.

hugshelp Wed 03-Aug-22 04:38:02

Whenever I've found myself pondering the behaviour of someone who has treated me badly and I'm trying to understand their motivation, I ask myself, 'why do I need to know?. For me, this is far more instructive and potentially healing.

eg - did my father try his best and was incapable, or did he never give a fig?
Why do I care? - I want to find a redeeming quality in him, after all, genes - I don't want to be the child of a monster. I want to see him in a good light because I value compassion and empathy in myself and being able to makes me feel kinder. I want to know if there's anything I can learn that will make me a better person. I want to know if I was ever loved, even a little bit, because being unloved makes me feel unlovable. Or to phrase it another way - if I am lovable and he didn't love me - why not? If I can pin down exactly why he couldn't I can strengthen my self-worth by being certain the fault wasn't with me. Etc etc etc.

Smileless2012 Tue 02-Aug-22 08:56:40

Thanks DLsmile.

DiamondLily Tue 02-Aug-22 04:37:30

Well done on clocking up that many happy years!.?

Smileless2012 Mon 01-Aug-22 20:55:01

Yeah I know what you mean DL. I'm sure there are days when Mr. S. wants to brain me too but 42 years next month, and both our brains are still in tact, well as far as I know.

DiamondLily Mon 01-Aug-22 18:37:58

Smileless2012

Ah you can't beat being with your soulmate DL smile.

Nope, you can’t. Even though I could brain him some days...?

Smileless2012 Mon 01-Aug-22 17:24:40

Ah you can't beat being with your soulmate DL smile.

DiamondLily Mon 01-Aug-22 14:27:11

Smileless2012

You did well DL, it can't have been easy.

Well, between us, we produced two great kids. So, I will never regret it because of that. We both had difficult childhoods (his worse than mine with physical abuse and neglect), but we just dealt with it, as adults, very differently.

And now, I'm with my "soulmate", and life's pretty good, on the whole.

Notwithstanding other people playing us up.?

VioletSky Mon 01-Aug-22 10:55:59

Due to our upbringing that should say

VioletSky Mon 01-Aug-22 10:55:27

My husband and I both had difficult childhoods, different ways though.

We have supported each other through so much. We have both had periods of mental illness and stress due to our

I suppose we could have written each other off as too damaged at many points but neither of us did.

We have brought up a wonderful family together, shown out children the love and the solidarity we didn't get.

Its amazing what can be achieved with a little love and understanding

Smileless2012 Mon 01-Aug-22 09:08:23

You did well DL, it can't have been easy.

DiamondLily Mon 01-Aug-22 04:32:31

Smileless2012

It's strange isn't it DL. We think and talk about the people who have messed with our lives, and at times made them hell and there's one word that we use time and time again, when we think about what they've done to us and how it's impacted on their lives, and that word is sad.

I genuinely feel sorry for him. He will end up as a lonely old man. He's cut off friends, his relationship with our kids/GCs is basically trashed, and I bet he doesn't understand that he is the problem.

He has got many good points and redeeming features, but it all gets buried under his passive-aggressive behaviour and his constant neediness and need to be seen as a victim of either his childhood or me.

I suppose we just both married the wrong person. He needed someone that would constantly sympathise and pander to his moods, and I needed someone stronger (mentally) that could move on from the past, and just live the life.

I'm amazed we held it together for 30 years lol ?

Summerlove Sun 31-Jul-22 22:35:05

Smileless2012

Really!!!! I don't think so.

She was agreeing with you that estrangement forum is for everyone and that you had said so on the thread previously referenced.

Not insulting you.

Smileless2012 Sun 31-Jul-22 22:01:44

It's strange isn't it DL. We think and talk about the people who have messed with our lives, and at times made them hell and there's one word that we use time and time again, when we think about what they've done to us and how it's impacted on their lives, and that word is sad.

DiamondLily Sun 31-Jul-22 18:45:47

Smileless2012

It is an example of control PoppyBlue. They can control the entire family can't they by getting them to do whatever they want so they don't get into a mood or using a mood to control their family.

So there he is DSL, having some contact with his children and GC despite having told them they were no longer children of his, and ignoring them for 10 years and here we and so many are, with no contact with an EAC or our GC despite having done nothing to explain our estrangements.

Well, he's the loser. My GC view my DH as their "grandad", because he's always been there for them, and my ex is just a pesky relative that no one quite knows what to do with.?

Sad really.

Kate1949 Sun 31-Jul-22 18:38:32

It's hard for you Smileless flowers

Smileless2012 Sun 31-Jul-22 17:57:14

That's what you need to hold on to Kate. As EP's we've been
blamed made to feel responsible for losing our son, but we know we haven't done anything wrong and that's what we hold on to.

Kate1949 Sun 31-Jul-22 16:45:57

Thank you Smileless. I have heard that some people blame themselves. I knew I hadn't done anything wrong.

Smileless2012 Sun 31-Jul-22 16:30:15

I'm glad you never felt any of it was your fault Katesmile. Goodness knows you had enough to deal with when you were a child, and enough to process when you were older, without having to cope with a sense of responsibility as well.

Smileless2012 Sun 31-Jul-22 16:27:12

It is an example of control PoppyBlue. They can control the entire family can't they by getting them to do whatever they want so they don't get into a mood or using a mood to control their family.

So there he is DSL, having some contact with his children and GC despite having told them they were no longer children of his, and ignoring them for 10 years and here we and so many are, with no contact with an EAC or our GC despite having done nothing to explain our estrangements.