Gransnet forums

Estrangement

Permanent estrangement from young grandson

(15 Posts)
Dyinginside Tue 01-Sept-26 14:25:50

This is long and complicated but I'll try to shorten it.
My son is a covert narcissist, very evil. My therapists and psychiatrist agree so it isn't just me. I researched extensively and I do have an education in psychology.
Back in 2021, when my grandson was born, he and the mom were living with mom's parents. She had severe pp depression, yet my son was virtually no help, never waking til after 1 pm, refusing to change poopy diapers, refusing to help or be sympathetic to the mom, it's always about his mental health. Eventually, the mom couldn't take it any more so kicked my son out when baby 6 months. Son stayed with brother and his fiance for 6 weeks, driving them crazy as he's a slob and their wedding was in a month. They had no room or time for my son to see my grandson every weekend, so I'd drive 2 hours each way Saturday to bring them to my home, and another 4 hours Sunday. After 6 weeks, the mom let him move back in because he was trying for half time custody, which she knew he was incapable of, and she couldn't fathom not seeing the little guy so much. My son was full of false promises, so nothing changed. He is a gamer so needed minimum 2 hours uninterrupted daily, and 2 hours for watching his tv shows uninterrupted. After he turned down a much better paying day job, because he wouldn't have enough alone time, and actually expected gps to watch baby after work, so my son could have alone time. He told the mom that if he knew parents wouldn't fill in, even when he was home, he never would have had a baby. Mom had had enough, and I let my son move in with me, and I drove the 8 hours every weekend to pick up my gs. I did 90% of care, including taking him to emergency during severe anaphylactic shock, while my son chose to sleep and even unplugged phone. He never once woke up before 1 pm, even when not working at all. I became very close with the mom, sharing our similar issues. My gs had horrible, untreated eczema,which caused much stress. My son controlled everything in my house, but refused to help with chores or ever get up with gs, even though with my insomnia and winter depression, it was very hard on me, but I loved all the time with my gs. After a year, I'd become very close with the mom, and she assured me I could see my gs lots if I kicked out my son, which I finally did, giving him a month's notice. As soon as he moved out, he called children’s Aid on me, saying I was mentally unstable to watch my grandson, ironic and easily proven as a lie, as I'd been main caregiver for a year. It wasn't unexpected as he'd constantly threaten, when he lived with me, that if I ever asked him to leave, there would be consequences ( taking away my grandson). There was at the time, no legal agreement at all re custody, visitation child support. As the mom was obviously the competent parent, and we had become very close, having shared same difficulties with my son, I helped her hire a lawyer to get legal agreement.
Very tragically, the mom, my only and closest friend passed away suddenly September 2025, a year ago, and my son got custody. I was and am destroyed, especially since I was unwelcome by her family. She'd had a lot of issues with her parents for years, them refusing to follow her boundaries with the baby, and them berating her for kicking my son out, as she hid the truth about my son from her parents. The parents blamed me for convincing her to stand up to them. In truth, we both helped each other with our very difficult families. She invited me to stay with them at least several days a month, and allowed me frequent visits with my gs at my house. We 3 were all very close.
A week after she died, my son informed me I could only see my gs 3x a year, Halloween (that was our very special time that I'd always participate in with his mom and him, xmas, and summer. We had one visit in October to celebrate Halloween, a fun but difficult time as him mom had just died. I asked about xmas visit and was told no, no reason given. I asked in march when I could see my grandson, and was told that my son had found out something, and I needed to grovel and beg for forgiveness, without saying what it was. I rightly assumed he found out about how I'd helped the mom pay for lawyer. If I thought for one minute, giving him equal money, would fix it all, I would have. But, my 2 other sons who know how evil and narcissistic he is, as well as my therapist and Dr., agreed his control and manipulative behaviour would never stop. The game playing of withdrawing visits and doing everything to hurt me, would be detrimental to my gs and me. He also refused to give me his address, so sending cards, pics or letters was impossible. My son's wife, who Id never met, hated me and encouraged my son to cut me off.
I've since received 2 letters from son, saying how evil I am, saying if I begged and apologized for helping the mom, not him, he'd open the door a crack. I'm opposite of my son, and many people as I am unable to lie. I have zero regrets for helping the mom get a custody agreement as she was an amazing, loving, mom, who truly valued me as a grandma and a true best friend, who accepted me 100%, unlike my own family. I'm a very unusual person who speaks the truth, is unable to wear a mask to fit in, dresses like a hippy, and enjoys deep conversations, as I spend a lot of time learning about the world, politics, etc, not frivolous chit chat. I have always had to walk on eggshells around my family, as they don't understand me, and are afraid I'll say the wrong thing.
My estranged son, recently sent another letter, saying how evil I am, and he hopes I live a very long painful life!! Not once has he ever thought or mentioned the damage he's done to his son, who lost his mom and grandma forever, within a month. It's always just about him.
I'm so broken, I have zero desire to live. My 2 sons that still like me, now refuse to see me because I'm apparently too depressing. None of my family has been there during my grief, as they don't understand my overwhelming grief at losing 2 very important people to me. They had been unreasonably jealous of my relationship with the mom and my grandson, for the last couple years, even though I was always there for any of them or my other gks. They, like many, don't understand grief, and I've always been a very emotional, highly empathetic person who gives everything ( as I've always been afraid of rejection since childhood), but recently realized it's only one way. They never even ask how I am, despite knowing I'm at the end of my rope. Their father is a narcissistic and compulsive liar who caused me a lot of pain when we split up, due to his abusive and controlling behaviour.
So, its been almost a year, I'm more depressed than ever, have just 1 friend who because of her difficult childhood, and mental health issues, can't be much support. I no longer trust people, and as I live in a very conservative, religious area, I just don't fit in, being a open atheist,despite 10 years trying to find people who share my interests.
I almost died of an anaphalatic shock a month ago, and since then, I've been totally focused on gathering pics and videos and a letter explaining that my disappearance was definitely not my choice. My one dil is my executor and will make sure when my gs is of legal age, and no longer under his dad's roof, my gs will get the box of things I have been preparing for him. The info about why his father cut me off is in a clearly marked envelope, warning him to only open when ready for the truth. Knowing his father, I have zero doubt there relationship will eventually turn bad, as my son has shown for years, he only really cares about himself.
Anyway, whether anyone reads this or understands my pain, I don't hold much hope. I've never encountered anyone who has a situation like this, so complicated, no hope of ever seeing my grandson again, worrying about him daily, and grieving his mom at the same time. My son has lied to everyone about the truth, faking pain at the mom's death to turn my oldest son totally against me too.
I have zero to live for, I tried very hard to find a new life, but I rarely get more than 1 day in a row, that isn't dominated by grief, so hard to make plans. I'm just trying to prepare for my death and hope I find a wasp before winter comes, so my pain will end. It was 1 wasp sting that nearly killed me last month. I cannot live this way anymore, Ive had a very fulfilling, adventurous life, and am ready for the end. My kids will be free of having me as a burden, and will all benefit from my estate.

silverlining48 Tue 01-Sept-26 15:06:22

That was a lot to read, I am sorry for your situation but ending your life is a drastic and final choice. Have you spoken about these feelings to your therapists?
Understandably you are depressed and medication may help in the shorter term to clear your thoughts while you talk things through with them.
I hope you can find peace.

Plevey08 Tue 01-Sept-26 15:36:15

As silverlining said that was a lot to read. It is also complex and, a great deal for you to go through I feel somewhat inadequate to advise you. Except to agree with silverlining and to please reach out for support from a professional immediately. There is hope from all that you are suffering, and circumstances can change. I wish you all the very best in taking a step forward, to reach out for help. Please let us know when you have.

FayeGNHQ Tue 01-Sept-26 16:34:45

Hi there, OP.

We're so sorry to hear you're going through such a sad time right now. When we see posts like this, we like to share our Mental Health Webguide which contains the contact details of different organisations that might be able to help you.

We know that reaching out can feel difficult, but talking things through really can help. You're not alone, and we're sure the lovely Gransnetters here will be along to offer support, kindness and a listening ear.

Best wishes,
Faye
GNHQ 💐

Namsnanny Tue 01-Sept-26 17:49:16

I agree with both Silverlining48 and Plevey08, and feel totally inadequate to offer any advice. I can say from my experiences
estrangement is extremely difficult and you have my sympathy. I shall be thinking of you and your gs and hoping you can find the strength to carry on 🤎
I hope someone with more experience will come along to offer some better advice.

Cossy Tue 01-Sept-26 20:50:03

My immediate advice is to seek help for yourself and your mental health and grief.

Please do this asap.

Once this is starting to help you then think about everything else.

Now is the time to take care of you thanks

Smileless2012 Tue 01-Sept-26 20:59:59

My heart goes out to you Dyinginside flowers.

The pain that estrangement causes cannot be adequately put into words, even by those of us who are also estranged and you also have the grief of losing your dearest friend and mother of your grandson.

You cannot get through this alone, no one can. You've reached out by sharing your pain here. Please reach out again for the professional help you need flowers.

25Avalon Tue 01-Sept-26 22:41:06

Please please please get help. You are a wonderful loving person and you don’t deserve all of this. One day that gs may come knocking on your door and you will want to be there for him and to tell him what a lovely mum he had. Trying to find a little light in the darkness is so difficult that it can feel impossible. The first step is to get professional help. We all love you on GN

Allsorts Wed 02-Sept-26 03:44:58

You need to seek help, look at the organisations suggested on here. You are broken, whatever you do or don't do will not make a scrap of difference to you seeing your grandson as long as your son has him, he s a very damaged and manipulative person. That longing to change what you cannot has broken you, but you can in time realise that. Concentrate on getting yourself back, getting interests outside your family, you are enough. Find an interest, join a project that makes you feel useful and happy. Just little steps but you will get there. Accept you gave all that was in you and if and when you have time with your grandson
enjoy it but do not dance to your sons tune as he feeds on it and it changes nothing long term. It's almost a game to him. Heal yourself knowing you do matter, we have one life, don't waste it because things can turn on a sixpence. Good luck.

DiamondLily Sun 06-Sept-26 07:47:38

As you seem to live in the US, could your doctor not suggest support groups/therapists, along with perhaps giving you medication, that could help you through this?

If you live in one of the deeply religious areas, could you not move home to a more liberal area, where you might find more local support?

Grief, through loss, is extremely painful to go through, whatever the reasons.

It’s, honestly, a hard slog. But you can improve it, bit by bit, day by day, by finding positivity in whatever.

Best wishes. 🌺

Sassenach01 Sun 06-Sept-26 19:30:02

Hi
My heart breaks for you, I am actually going through a similar thing, my evil son and evil gf, who I loved like a daughter, have a toxic relationship with, involving drugs etc, I have helped her bring my two grandchildren up, Theo 6 Esme 2, there relationship got so bad, coming to me with black eyes etc, all of this was affecting my gk, I offered her advice in confidence, worried about my gk, also offered to help, she threw it back in my face, he sent appalling voicemails, she said whatever he did, she would always make sure I saw the kids, she didn’t. They have ripped them from my life, blocked every way I could speak to them. Her best friend rang me on 29/03/26 telling me that, the previous night, they were high on cocaine, the kids running around, the police had been out, if her friend hadn’t gone round at 3am, which she did, my gk were to be taken into care, and she knew they should have been safe with me. She had to go to work and didn’t think it safe to leave my gk with their drugged up father, the mother had left the house following police intervention in the car, leaving her phone, she was nowhere to be found. Even with all the discord, I sent my estranged son a message, saying, I only want to help, my partner took me round in the car, as I had surgical boot on, following surgery, ( collapsed ankle), to find my son asleep, unable to be woken up, my gk where so frightened, they were locked in, I couldn’t get to them, so pulled up a chair to the glass poarch, calming them down, my gs pulled up his little stool, stating he needed to look after daddy, but would see me tomorrow, my gf, blowing kisses, wanting to climb out of the window, my heart broke, they were hungry so gdad went to get the McDonald’s, she came back at this point, clearly out of her head on drugs, screaming and swearing at me, telling me to get out, I said I had come to help, she pushed me hurting my ankle, she woke my evil son up and were both swearing at me through the porch window. I admit that I was raging and wasn’t my best self, seeing what they had done to my gk, I swore and screamed back at her, my partner told me to get back in the car, but I was heartbroken and wouldn’t leave the kids without police and Sicial service intervention. They were already aware of the situation, from the night before, and were monitoring them, however a few days ltr the police went back to check, there were drugs in the house again and my gk where taken into care with mum overnight, I rang and rang social services and they wouldn’t tell me anything, I was beside myself with concern and stress for them. Since then, I have asked to see the kids, also my whole family tried to get through to them and his two brothers, however , we just get the height of abuse constantly. He then proceeded to take the kids out in the car and was pulled up and arrested under the influence of drugs, I paid for him to do his HGV test 2 yrs ago, and he may now loose his licence, he blames me for getting his car tracked, which I didn’t. I did everything for my sons, he hadn’t seen his father since birth, I have loved and supported my lads in every way, as a single mum, I put myself through university to give them all a better life, which it did, everyone in my family knows this, I was always helping him financially, he appreciates none of it, and says the most disgusting things to me via voicemail. I havnt seen my gk for 6 mths now and it is just killing me, my family say I need to move on but I can’t, it’s breaking me. I don’t know where to turn, like you hunni. Where is the justice in this country for grandparents, it is all so wrong, they are using them as a weapon, and hurting them and us. Just to mention also, her whole family disowned them 6 yrs ago, because they were both drug addicts, so my h kids world is now so very small, and I don’t know what to do x

Cossy Sun 06-Sept-26 19:39:39

I do hope this OP comes back on here, if just to let us know she’s physically ok. thanks

crazyH Sun 06-Sept-26 19:50:21

I got too emotional, so I couldnt continue reading……🥲

sukie Sun 06-Sept-26 22:24:26

OP, if you are in the US, please call 988. There are trained professionals there to listen and help you.

Here is a link to a video explaining what will happen when you call:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m7KgHd0xt4

Sassenach01 Mon 07-Sept-26 21:58:41

Hi
I can’t stop sobbing, everything seems so hopeless, my family can’t bare to see the pain I’m in, due to my son and gf, stopping access to my gk, out of sheer spite, I live in UK, I don’t know what to do, I’m on medication, due to the anxiety and depression this has caused me, I have no joy in my life anymore, just going through the motions, don’t want to see anyone, or get out of bed even, my heart is breaking and I am broken, any advice would be welcome, thankyou x