Gransnet forums

Everyday Ageism

Too old to vote

(104 Posts)
WoodGreenie Thu 17-Jan-19 10:25:44

Saw in the news today that some young singer is saying that people over 75 shouldn't be allowed to vote because they won't live long enough to see the consequences of their vote.

Oh the folly of youth!

Lilyflower Sun 20-Jan-19 17:58:31

Younger people are more likely to be less knowledgeable, less well read, less widely informed and more impressionable and rash than those older than they. Youngsters cannot have more experience than their elders and are, therefore, likely to lack the wisdom that comes with it. They are trusting and, it is known through voting research, prone to left wing opinions.

It would certainly be disastrous to expand the franchise to the age of sixteen. No one who cannot have paid tax through employment should be allowed to have a say over the government of their country.

Little of this applies to the more savvy older population.

moggie57 Sun 20-Jan-19 12:43:59

spoken by a young twit of parliament.its the over 70's that are the backbone of england ,they went through a war.that takes guts.. i'm not saying under that age havent. got what it takes .but the over 70's have more how can i put it........

Jannicans Sat 19-Jan-19 20:25:31

Well, in that case anyone under 25 is too young to understand the implications of their vote. Works both ways.

Jalima1108 Sat 19-Jan-19 17:22:15

Not every young person is of that ilk but read Barmyoldbat's post particularly re: tepid water
That reminded me of the old tale of the apprentice being sent off on his first day to buy a bubble for the spirit level!

Florabunda60 Sat 19-Jan-19 17:17:28

lemongrove
Don't believe "young singers" have no political clout. We're talking the facebook generation who'll click on anything, who think context means con text. Large numbers of them go to great lengths to imitate anything a "young singers" says or does.
Not every young person is of that ilk but read Barmyoldbat's post particularly re: tepid water.

More school leavers go to university than ever before yet level of literacy in English even among graduates when it's their mother tongue is frequently gob smackingly appalling.

Florabunda60 Sat 19-Jan-19 16:53:36

What are you talking about!!
Preposterous at it's most extreme level. I am well aware too sadly of the arrogance of twenty and thirty sonethings today but that suggestion is unbelievable. Don't give it credence.

POGS Sat 19-Jan-19 16:39:54

Jalima

Agreed.

GabriellaG54 Fri 18-Jan-19 23:12:43

willa45
How true yet how sad.

Jalima1108 Fri 18-Jan-19 22:09:30

and some of them on here too POGS

They are a constant source of amusement.

POGS Fri 18-Jan-19 22:03:45

Jalima

Ah , probably not there are certain people who think their opinion on how others should behave only applies ' to others ' certainly not themselves.

Jalima1108 Fri 18-Jan-19 21:57:52

After the referendum the top search on google was, 'What is Brexit?' and I'm guessing that it wasn't the over 75s who were doing the searching!
quizqueen the number of young people interviewed on tv before the referendum who had not heard about the referendum, did not know what it was about and had not really heard of the EU either was astonishing!
They must live in a self-centred little bubble.

Jalima1108 Fri 18-Jan-19 21:56:04

Poor old duck is 72 POGS, is she getting too past it for an opinion?

POGS Fri 18-Jan-19 21:54:25

The doyen of the left Guardian journalist Polly Toynbee has tweeted this Jan 17th.

" What was ' the will of people ' is now ' the will of dead people '. From Saturday, new young remain voters on register tip the balance v old dead leavers. Time for a Final Say Referendum "

Charming , NOT!

I bet Ms Toynbee would like to be told you are too old to vote , you are not the future. If she agreed with that view I would hope she would decline to vote in another Referendum and not be a hypocrite.

Tooyoungytobeagrandma Fri 18-Jan-19 20:41:44

Humptydumpty in my in laws case they would have had another 25 years of living with the consequences and their childre/grandchildren also live with the consequences. Bad enough those of original retirement age have to wait another 6 years (in my case) to get the pension they have paid into for last 44 years now someone else thinks 9 years after that they should have no further say in how the country they have lived and worked in all their lives. I for one would be chained to the HOP to show my disgust should this ever realky be considered angry

luluaugust Fri 18-Jan-19 19:34:59

This person is profoundly ignorant people campaigned and died so that we can all go out and freely and anonymously express our opinions by voting and vote we will.

quizqueen Fri 18-Jan-19 19:08:30

After the referendum the top search on google was, 'What is Brexit?' and I'm guessing that it wasn't the over 75s who were doing the searching! A lot of young people have no interest in or understanding of politics and are more concerned with the possibility of having to pay roaming charges on holiday than they care about the future of their country. When a young colleague at work voted Labour in the last election, I asked her which of their policies she supported. Her answer, 'What are policies?' So why would her vote be more important than my informed (elderly) one?

sarahellenwhitney Fri 18-Jan-19 18:43:33

Have yet to see /hear said singer in unison with anything in the UK. Why oh why do those whose bread and butter come from their UK audiences not pack up and leave.

M0nica Fri 18-Jan-19 18:17:28

Retired65, polling organisations take exit polls, that is speaking to people leaving polling stations asking how they voted and a few other details.

Despite all the potential hazards this seems to offer, many years experience, information drawn from other sources, like census and many mathematicians work enables them to calculate these figures reasonably precisely. Survey work willalso have taken place in the run up to an election.

I haven't done public opinion polling but I have been involved in sampling and interpreting information from market surveys and it is remarkably how well we could forecast what results would be and use them to advise on products sold in stores.

willa45 Fri 18-Jan-19 18:07:25

I worry about the people who are functionally illiterate!

At work, at school and even at University, I knew people who could 'read words' but couldn't understand context, much less form reasonable opinions about the topic. These are the same people who are easily swayed by others because figuring out for themselves is too much 'work'.

Voters have a responsibility to be well informed about important issues in order to make sound decisions. Some people also seem to think elections are a popularity contest or something akin to the 'academy awards'.

sarahellenwhitney Fri 18-Jan-19 17:46:06

CarlyD7. With age comes experience. A vision was given for the benefits of a Common Market/ EU.
21C now for many, is life on the down not up. When were so many homeless, living on the street and food banks needed.
Where then do you get the idea that todays sixteen year olds , who for some, not even their parents were born when the EU came into being , have the knowledge or experience in contributing to a decision that is needed to improve life in the UK not drag it down even further than it is now.

Saggi Fri 18-Jan-19 17:23:24

Can’t vote over 75....but Prince Philip ..and others can drive on public roads.... soooo less dangerous!!

Barmeyoldbat Fri 18-Jan-19 17:05:49

I am 72 and today I was giving a cooking and budgeting lesson to a group of people, most under about 35. After reading out the ingredients I was asked by a 20 something where they could buy tepid water. God help us all if we have only the young voting, Iff they took away my vote my voluntary work with the young would stop and they could get on with it.

Retired65 Fri 18-Jan-19 16:42:07

Can someone explain to me how we know it was the older people who voted to leave the EU? We don't have to state our age when we vote. I know of several people in their eighties who voted to stay in the EU.

David1968 Fri 18-Jan-19 16:18:38

Apologies if someone has already raised this point and I missed it - but - if 75 is considered to be "too old to vote" (a statement I disagree with) then does that make our Queen too old to reign? I'm not aware that the proponent is saying that about the Queen (now in her 90s) so it's ridiculous when they suggest that over 75s shouldn't vote.

Nanny41 Fri 18-Jan-19 15:00:44

What nonsense, you cant judge people by their age, and there are many, many people way over the age of 75, living a good life, long may they live.My blood pressure has suddenly risen, I had better finish before it finishes me off.