Gransnet forums

Everyday Ageism

Old people don’t use the internet?

(116 Posts)
sarahcyn Sun 13-Jun-21 12:07:59

A local estate agent told my client the other day: “you house isn’t selling because older people who might be interested don’t go online.”
Hello? My husband and I have a serious Rightmove addiction!

Maywalk Mon 06-Mar-23 15:39:19

He evidently has never bothered to find out the amount of silver haired folk who DO use computers.

I will be 93 in May and been using a computer for well over 24 years.
In fact I had a WW2 website put up over 20 years ago that is still being referred to worldwide, although I neglected it some years ago when nursing my hubby through Dementia.

Before anyone makes a sweeping statement, such as the one he has, I suggest that a thorough search be done to see just how many folk over 80 DO use an I-pad or computer now.

Chestnut Tue 07-Mar-23 00:04:35

Fernbergien

I was on computers in 1958 via MOD. Two large computers like four large wardrobes bunched together but taller. They were named Gert and Daisy - comedy characters from the war. Probably in a museum somewhere.

Wow, I think you take the prize. That's before many grans were born, let alone the estate agent! 🏆

Chestnut Tue 07-Mar-23 00:06:14

Jaxjacky

Kim19 me too. A couple who use the post office as they won’t use a cash point, insist on paper utility bills and never compare providers.
I have another friend who was shown how to use Amazon and spends a huge amount of time returning stuff she’s accidentally ordered multiples off because she orders from her phone (how she was shown) and won’t use a tablet or pc.
Our bowls club, where payments must be by cash or cheque, no bank transfer.

Some shops won't accept cash so I hope they can use a bank card.

Franbern Tue 06-Jun-23 08:32:06

I am secretary to our self-managed Management Company for our block of 25 owner-occupied flats. As such I have to deal with Solicitors each time a flat is sold.

I am always totally astonished at the lack of care by far too many Estate Agents on getting the most basic details correct on their RightMove posts.

For too often I have to contact them to point out that they are advertising one of our flats with one bathroom, when all the flats have two, also often getting details about our Service charge totally incorrect etc. etc.

They also have (what apears to me), just a standard description and make no effort actually to MARKET a particular flat.

Also, and one of their most annoying traits, is that they all seem to commene with a far too high price, which means that then they have to be 'reduced' a couple months later. Many of our flats are sold after probate, and I do try to advise these sons/daughters as to realistic price for our flats, but EA's start off with much higher, totally unrealistic prices.

Like others on here I have been using computers since 1981 when we first purchased one for our children, have been on emails since mid-1990's when it was totally free (except for the dial up phone).

Grantanow Thu 17-Aug-23 09:38:30

Fairly hopeless estate agent - fire him. But although lots of older people use computers and the internet and mobile phones there are some who don't or can't (for a variety of reasons - lack of training or earlier experience, eyesight, lack of money, lack of precision when typing, etc.). They are at risk of exclusion from a range of services.

Sallywally1 Tue 02-Apr-24 21:19:29

I worked for the NHS. Am now 68 and retired, but the first computer systems were brought in long before this and I, like my generation, had to learn from scratch. We had no childhood/teenage learning, no IT classes, we learnt as we went along.

I use the internet all the time at home, though I must admit am a bit puzzled by the QR code business! I’m sure it quite simple really!

Sallywally1 Tue 02-Apr-24 21:20:32

I also have an I pad and I phone, so consider myself reasonably up to date!

Gwyllt Tue 02-Apr-24 23:29:09

Anyone remember using the BBC B computer? When computer programming seems so simple, that you could write a very simple, simple programme yourself

Glorianny Tue 02-Apr-24 23:40:19

I agree about getting rid of him. I also wonder about his assertions about older people liking your property. I currently know of a young couple moving out of a fourth floor flat (no lift, just stairs). They're buying a bungalow. They've sold the flat to a newly retired couple!!!

Redhead56 Tue 02-Apr-24 23:50:02

I self taught using a computer over 35 years ago while going back to study as a mature student.
I can't stand generalisations about people's age and capabilities regarding technology.
I was always told don't judge a book by its cover obviously some estate agents need to amend their attitude.

Macadia Tue 02-Apr-24 23:51:53

Old people invented the internet.

Deedaa Wed 03-Apr-24 00:10:12

I'm 78. My old school friends are the same vintage and we all keep in touch on line. The same with my old friends in Cornwall. I'm a member of U3A and at least 90% of their business seems to be carried out on line. In the art group I go to people are down loading instructional videos and buying equipment on line. Most of us would be completely lost now without the internet.

luluaugust Wed 03-Apr-24 08:32:24

If your client is desperate to sell why don’t they auction the property. Yes I pads I phones here and one of us over 80. There have been computers in this house for ever

Esmay Wed 03-Apr-24 10:14:19

What a creep !
Of course , you can use a computer .
I had the downtalk last week , because I'd been given the wrong email address .
Did I know how to send emails ?
Please get someone else to sell the property .
I had a lot of rudeness from a guy , who'd decided that my father's house was for sale and he wanted it at a knockdown price !
I was so shocked .

pascal30 Wed 03-Apr-24 11:34:08

I don't know how I managed to get on here!!!