Gransnet forums

Everyday Ageism

Rudeness towards Charlie Dimmock

(96 Posts)
Musicgirl Wed 25-Aug-21 19:27:50

On my google I have various topics that may interest me coming up. However, I notice that Charlie Dimmock and how she has changed over the years seems to be there more and more often and the tone is not very flattering; commenting on how much she has changed over the years. I find it rude that in this day and age the media feel it is perfectly fine to comment about a woman’s looks rather than her talent. - in this case her green fingers. We all change as we age but it seems that it is still allowable to comment freely on a woman whereas a man is assessed on his ability rather than his appearance. What do you think?

MissAdventure Fri 19-Nov-21 17:58:04

I think she should have a nice flattering bob, a perm and wear a seasalt jumper with some M & S trousers.
Know your place, woman!

GrannyLaine Fri 19-Nov-21 17:50:57

Charlie is a very talented garden designer but when I watch her TV appearances I feel concern for what (to me) seems her obvious discomfort . She is often pulling at the front of her shirts to cover her chest & abdomen. Beneath the bravado, and whatever the cause there lies a real problem with her health.

Nonogran Fri 19-Nov-21 17:38:05

Gosh! Charley has certainly got us all in a tizz!
Lots of good points here & I actually quite like her but yes, she’s a total mess & needs a makeover. Silly hair getting in the way, filthy rough hands constantly pushing it out of the way, awful men’s shirts, long sleeves getting filthy at the cuff. Nah, not a good look but actually I bet she’s great fun & a good friend to anyone that needs one.
Charley, if you’re reading this, get your agent to float a picture of you “all gussied up.” I’m sure you look fabulous out on a date.

M0nica Fri 19-Nov-21 13:43:03

Charlie Dimmock was chosen for the tv programme because of her free boobs and flowing red hair not because of her gardening skills, even though these may be considerable.

Do not we all make comparisons, even just at an observational level. Do you remember all those 'My goodness you have grown' comments when you were a child from reatives and friends of your parents you hadn't seen for sometime. They were not criticising, just observing.

Grammy666 Fri 19-Nov-21 12:30:39

I find it maddening when Charlie Dimmock keeps brushing her long tangly hair away from her face CONSTANTLY! Someone give her a hairband / haircut/ clips, rubber bands or anything as it makes awful viewing and I don't listen to what she says as I'm counting how many times she shoves her grubby dirt ridden hands into her hair.. and wearing huge big mens shirts is not a good look, I know she thinks it hides her figure but it doesn't .. it looks like she has given up and also Television is a visual medium so she need to take account of the viewers.

Mollygo Fri 27-Aug-21 17:53:36

Blossoming

So many unpleasant comments about a woman’s appearance on here. How many of us would stand up to this sort of scrutiny?

Blossoming That’s why we’re not on TV.

Even the best looking or best dressed women on TV incur criticism of something- clothes too young, too bright, too dark, wrong hairstyle for her age, you can tell it’s dyed, wears flip-flops, ridiculously high heels, too much Botox, always wears the same outfits etc.
I have to admire Charlie because she must know what people say about her. It wouldn’t be worth changing her image as many people would simply hark back to what they think now. I just wish she’d do my garden.

BlueBelle Fri 27-Aug-21 15:07:55

Witzend yes I have lived in other countries and no I haven’t noticed it nearly so much as here and perhaps more importantly it’s got much worse lately

lemongrove Fri 27-Aug-21 15:01:21

I hadn’t noticed any negative comments about her ( before this thread.)
The only thing that I had thought before now was why not tie her hair back when gardening?It’s obviously a nuisance as she has to constantly throw it all back from over her face.

Sparklefizz Fri 27-Aug-21 12:53:57

Thanks for that link to a guided tour around LLB's home. They look like a lovely happy family.

Blossoming Fri 27-Aug-21 12:40:35

So many unpleasant comments about a woman’s appearance on here. How many of us would stand up to this sort of scrutiny?

MerylStreep Fri 27-Aug-21 12:01:32

Allsorts
You couldn’t be more wrong about LBs home.

www.hellomagazine.com/homes/gallery/20210127105510/laurence-llewelyn-bowen-home-inside-photos/1/

Sparklefizz Fri 27-Aug-21 10:25:21

I quite like Charlie and think she would be a fun friend. I think her size must make it very difficult for her to be as mobile in the garden (bending over, crouching etc) as she would like and that must be a problem.

There may be any number of reasons for her weight gain and I expect she would try to lose it if she could, even if just for mobility reasons.

Shropshirelass Fri 27-Aug-21 09:22:34

I like Charlie Dimmock and I am amazed at her gardening. She is the sort of person I would like as a friend. I was sad to read that she lost her Mom and step father in the awful Tsunami in Thailand. How awful that was for her. She gets my vote every time.

loopyloo Fri 27-Aug-21 09:08:29

Would love Charlie to do a makeover programme. She is still such a character and why shouldn't gardeners look good?

Allsorts Fri 27-Aug-21 07:45:36

I like Charlie, she is a nice person and it’s up to her how she chooses to age. Why should she go high maintenance? I love clothes and makeup and dress accordingly, it’s up to the individual. I would rather go into a garden she’s done than a room Laurence had. The last programme of his was my last, he completely took no notice of the brief and upset everyone, but for some that’s good tv. Those people have the job of putting the damage right, why on earth do they want him loose. I bet his house is all magnolia. To me that’s not being good at your job; those trousers and hair no longer look sexy on him, but that’s up to him, let him wear them until he’s a 100.
There’s no difference where you live some people only judge by looks and do t see the worth of the person. You don’t know how losing both her parents together affected Charlie, she’s a kind soul.

seacliff Fri 27-Aug-21 07:24:04

Poor Charlie, I'm pretty sure she knows full well how big she is, and very probably has an eating disorder where she eats for comfort. If you've never had that problem you wouldn't understand the absolute compulsion to eat rubbish food even though you know it's not good for you. She is hanging on to her career as best she can. I hope she doesn't read the comments here.

di1964 Fri 27-Aug-21 00:38:29

As soon as I take my bra off they hit the floor now!!! Didn’t in my twenties though.
I like Charlie. She’s always positive and has great gardening skills.. so leave her alone I say!

handbaghoarder Thu 26-Aug-21 19:22:57

Aveline - ssshhhh. I’m quite partial Laurence LB too. Love the flamboyance, the shirts, the suits THAT hair. His wife is gorgeous too.

toscalily Thu 26-Aug-21 18:12:12

I must admit to being shocked when I saw her on TV recently. I don't expect her to be wearing lots of make up, every hair in place and wearing a designer outfit but she could look a little neater & cleaner and use a brush on her hair, after all she is being paid to be on the programme. If the men were to have loose trousers and show something (builders bum) I think there would be complaints too.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 26-Aug-21 17:35:20

Losing her parents in the way she did may have caused her to comfort eat and put on weight. I don’t criticise that, in fact it’s heartening! And I don’t criticise her for not having a facelift, wearing makeup, having a manicure (never had one in my life), whatever. But I just wish she’d get a decent bra and brush her hair and tie it back instead of pushing it out of the way with mucky hands!

Greciangirl Thu 26-Aug-21 17:13:18

Well, you have to agree, she has let herself go just a tad.

I was quite shocked when I saw her on t.v recently.

If I was going to be on t.v, I would at least brush my hair and put something decent on to wear, even if I was trench digging.

I wonder why she doesn’t bother now.

icanhandthemback Thu 26-Aug-21 17:11:32

Aren't all women who were perceived as "sexy" when they were younger and who don't do the mega exercise, facelifts and full manicure so they still look "perfect", criticised for their appearance? I think it is par for the course.

BlueBelle Thu 26-Aug-21 17:03:58

I don’t like the programme at all as they use such expensive ideas and shrubs, trees, etc and the same goes for Titmarshes rescue programme really OTT and must cost thousands and done in a day or whatever the time limit is it’s really unrealistic

Catterygirl Thu 26-Aug-21 16:59:43

Maybe she keeps her hair down because she is out in all British weathers and her neck region would feel cold with her hair up.

Dinahmo Thu 26-Aug-21 16:26:56

I don't like her in Garden Rescue because she is so over the top in her manner. It seems to be a trend with female presenters deciding it's necessary to develop a personality. The Rich brothers are quite calm in comparison.

Mary Beard is fine but Jamira Ramirez - no.