Gransnet forums

Everyday Ageism

Senior Concessionary Gym Membership

(9 Posts)
Hippie20 Fri 14-Apr-23 05:23:24

My local council has contracted with a company to run its leisure centres. They offer student concessionary memberships but not seniors.

Wheniwasyourage Fri 14-Apr-23 08:46:39

Our council gym/swimming pool membership has different rates for family (1 adult) and family (2 adults) but no senior concession. I think it's good value and because it's paid by Direct Debit you feel you're helping to keep it all open even if you can't or don't want to go.

TerriBull Fri 14-Apr-23 08:59:49

I'm not sure I would expect a concession for being a senior. I suppose I can understand the concession being offered for students, insomuch as these places want to reel them in on the basis they have more life ahead of them (hopefully) with the need for regular exercise at a time when money is tight, not that I'm implying all pensioners are flush with funds. Maybe you could ask your leisure centre if any discounts are in the offing and they might like to consider the possibility of that. I've been swimming and gyming (on and off) for years now and I'd say an older demographic are consistent users of such places.

Youngst23 Thu 10-Aug-23 20:40:38

When I was working I got a corporate concession - nothing now! We (I )need it more now I'm on a very low income.Maybe they don't want to encourage oldies!

Gilly8591 Tue 12-Sep-23 16:02:35

I got an annual senior discount for my leisure centre at age 63 Then when I wanted to renew they said it only for state pension age users(66/67). This year I was told there was no senior concession anymore!

Wenmore Tue 12-Sep-23 18:28:18

Too many seniors, hard times, companies can't afford to offer concessions.

Parsley3 Tue 12-Sep-23 18:43:55

No senior concession at my gym but as we all make good use of it we don't expect one. However, people of any age can get a concession if they are referred by a GP.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 12-Sep-23 18:45:41

Businesses have to make a profit to survive. So many overheads - staff, NI, premises, contents and PIa insurance, rent, rates, purchase/hire of equipment … with students they can hope for full subscriptions in years to come, with pensioners nothing.

Gymstagran Tue 12-Sep-23 21:23:50

My gym allows free access in term time for over 75s